Asked the question are we going to be selling players.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Daggernewbie

I asked Thompson a question at the November supporters meeting are we going to be selling the answer was NO now this is
from the Dagenham Post.

Dagenham & Redbridge assistant Darren Currie says finances will play a part in key players staying past January

On Tuesday night at Victoria Road, 27 scouts were in attendance to watch Daggers lose 1-0 at home to Torquay United.

Among the clubs represented were Championship side Cardiff City and League Two outfit Stevenage, both have whom have rumoured to be interested in Oliver Hawkins.

Gillingham manager Justin Edinburgh was also in attendance, while Leyton Orient boss Andy Edwards was another understood to be watching on.

With a proposed takeover by the Glenn Tamplin-led consortium having fallen through, Daggers may be forced to sell with the club understood to be over budget.

And though Currie acknowledges that Daggers have always brought talented youngsters in before moving them on for a profit, he hopes that those who have attracted interest stick around as the Essex club chase promotion.

“The club has been built on bringing in rough diamonds, polishing them and moving them on,” he said.

“That’ll come down to the club whether they think January is the right time for one or two to move on.

“We hope not because we’re trying to build something here and we know, despite the last two games, we have a real opportunity to get back in the Football League this year and that’s what we’re all hoping to achieve.

“We need everyone who played against Torquay back on their game, we need everyone who is injured out the treatment room and we all need to be pulling in the same direction.

“I’m sure sooner rather than later we’ll get back to producing what we were earlier on.”

Daggers face a difficult assignment this weekend when they visit a Dover Athletic side who knocked the Essex club out of the play-off places on Tuesday night.

And having suffered two consecutive losses at home, Currie and boss John Still may have a tough task on their hand to lift morale in the Daggers camp.

But the assistant says he has a way of ensuring Daggers are back at their best in Kent on Saturday.

“We’ll have a meeting in the week and go over the last two games and we’ll try to hold on to the positives of the last two games,” added Currie.

“We are still creating chances and we have done in both games, more so against Torquay, so there are one or two small positives we can take from it.

“The gaffer is 100 per cent right, it’s about what goes on in both boxes. We’ll have a chat about that, show them some bits of positive play and then we’ll discuss the bits that need to get better, or at least get back to what we were doing very well in the first part of the season.

“We know we’ve got the ingredients, we know we’ve got the tools to do well, we’ve just come of it a little bit at the minute.

“It’s important the players remember why we were a very good team not so long ago and encourage them to get back there.”
Adrian

What say does the person quoted in that article have about whether or not we sell players? None.
It's not rocket science to work out that if someone offers a good price for a player that we will sell them. There are few clubs in the world that act any differently.

Another pointless attempt at a dig at the board. All very tedious.
diggerdagger1

Daggersnewbie.....thanks for sharing that most interesting. I too was at that fans forum in November. For Steve to say we would not be selling/or have to sell in January was wrong. What he should have said imo was that we do not have to sell but if a club comes in for them and offers the right money we will sell. Also bear in mind John still always tells players that sign for us that if a bigger better club comes in for them we will not stand in there way. Thompson also said at a memorable fans forum in August one year that there is no way Paul benson would be sold that August. And guess what....yep benno was on his way to charlton athletic on transfer deadline day. I feel that our team at present is a work in progress. Similar in many ways to last time he came back. If left alone I think this team could eventually get us back to th football league. Will it be this year I hope so but realistically cannot see it. Hope I am wrong but think we will just miss out imo. We also have to bear in mind our self inflicted shortfall this season. Clubs now know we are in financial difficulties and may try to buy our players on the cheap. It will then be up to the board whether we sell or not.
Daggernewbie

Adrian wrote:What say does the person quoted in that article have about whether or not we sell players? None.
It's not rocket science to work out that if someone offers a good price for a player that we will sell them. There are few clubs in the world that act any differently.

This is not a dig at the board I asked a question and got an answer all I`ve done is posted this so were have I said anything against the board in this show me please.
bloke down the pub

I hope so . John could find another 4/5 and sell for 250k each . Roll on
Adrian

Daggernewbie wrote:
Adrian wrote:What say does the person quoted in that article have about whether or not we sell players? None.

This is not a dig at the board I asked a question and got an answer all I`ve done is posted this so were have I said anything against the board in this show me please.
Uh huh.
Why link the two things? To have a dig. Tedious.
Daggernewbie

Adrian wrote:
Daggernewbie wrote:

Uh huh.
Why link the two things? To have a dig. Tedious.
I live in the real world i`m not that stupid,I know they will sell players if they need too but the article is linked by the answer I got off of Thompson.So to make it easy for you if he said no to selling players then this article is printed he knew all along they might have to sell.If I was having a go at the board I be ranting and raving about all the goings on.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Would have thought it was a pointless question to ask ,in fact if you wanted a straight answer then the whole concept of the forum you asked your question was rather pointless. Let's face it the supporters have been hoodwinked at best for a long while.

Firstly only the Club and the Player know what is written into contracts and even bigger teams then us will sell if the price was right.

There is a lot of talent in this team and I will be surprised if we don't have four or five of the current squad here next season.

At least this year we will have a bit of compensation to rebuild again unlike last year
durnzo

It's nice to have some players worth selling!! Complete contrast to Last season.

I've got no actual evidence to back this up, I'm definitely not ITK, but I'd have thought we'd have to sell due to the size of the club and the collapse of the takeover. I can't see how they'd make ends meet otherwise with our gates. Getting the right amount is most important.

Oit of interest, does anyone know how much better off we'd be if we went straight back up? Is it a sizeable difference?
Alan

Look in the away end at home games, what is a good away following in this division was a low one in league 2. And then there's the tv money from the football league. So yes, going straight back makes a very big difference.
durnzo

Good point about the away attendances, I'd never really factored that in.

So I suppose it needs to be a balancing act between getting a good transfer fee in, cash in now, against how detrimental selling the player will be to gaining promotion, potential money in the future.

I don't know the clubs current finances, the whole takeover caper left me more confused than before, but if the whole "we've signed players based on the money coming in from the takeover" line was true we might not have a choice. Glad it's not my decision to make!!
Alan

Significant loss on gates. There isn't going to be anyone filling the away end this season. There won't be many bringing more than 300. If average away gate is down by 225 at £21 per head, that's £108k gone, which is a couple of players on a grand a week.

It's the sort of economics that a lot of our support don't grasp to be fair, some just expect us to be successful. Our gates are 14th highest in this division. Torquay beat us the other day and there were people speaking as though we have a right to bear them - they are getting 750 a game more than us - at £15 a head that would be over £250k more than we take on the gate over a season. So they can pay each of a squad of 25 players 10k a year more than we can.

When the parachute payment reduces next year and goes the year after, we are basically going to have to radically rethink the squad make up and full time status.
durnzo

When you lay it out like that the loss of income is huge. I didn't realise that our gates were that low comparitively in this league! Teams live and die by the gates at this level.

If I'm being honest I haven't got a clue what the club should do. Hold on to everyone and go for promotion, although with only one going up automatically it's a huge gamble, or cash in to fill the coffers while they can. Which would obviously dent those ambitions, no one ever wants to buy your shit players!!

It's just a shame that the financial situation isn't more transparent so at least then people could fully understand any decisions made, or at least have an opinion based on the facts. It's also annoying that rather than enjoying what is turning out to be an exciting season on the pitch, I'm more concerned about off field matters.
Diggerthedog

We're £200k in the red, I would guess selling one player or two m will more or less fill that void. Like Alan says though we need to rethink if being full time is a serious option as on our crowds it is certainly not at present and they will only get worse the longer were in this league.
Mike the Dagger

Our finances at the moment are geared to us getting back up into the FL, and quickly, and we have set our budget on the assumption that there will be significant investment coming in to cover the gap between our income (gates, bars, regular sponsorship) and that budget. Anyone that has been around the Conference will realise that it is a massively hard league to get out of (at the right end).

Last season we got in the order of £720k from the Football League (includes the "Premier League Solidatity Payment"). This season that will be £470k as the solidarity payment isn't part of the parachute. Next season that halves, then its gone, unless we get back up.

At the same time, gates at the ground are down, both home and away fans. We have no FA Cup run this season (which netted us of the order of £250k in prize money, TV and income from away gates).

Of course we are going to have to sell at some point, we always have had to, it is actually how John Still works his miracles. Not only can't we stop bigger teams tapping our players up, but we need the money. Hopefully it will be controlled and not a fire sale, but to think we don't have to sell, even with investment, is very naive.