Torquay United (A)

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DaggerJoel11

So, off to the English Riviera this weekend as we look to make it eight games unbeaten and continue our very respectable recent form.

As many have alluded to on other threads, it's a good time to face Torquay. Last week they had seven first-team players out injured and, although that situation has improved somewhat, it's guaranteed that they won't be able to field anywhere near their strongest XI. Their manager Gary Johnson hasn't given much away aside from basically saying that their options are limited ahead of the game.

They've won three games out of five at home, although strikingly all of their wins at Plainmoor have come against teams currently 16th or lower in the table. We've only lost once on the road and have only conceded four in five games, so we're enjoying quite a good record on our travels.

Let's hope that continues tomorrow and, with any luck, we'll be further up those play-off places come 5pm.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
DevonDagger

That time of the year again although didn’t happen last year.
I’ve given Torquay fansI know plenty of reminders about the last time we played them down here. Don’t particularly fancy the shoe being on the other foot. Must win really!
DaggerJoel11

Just didn't quite click for us today, although we did enough to win the game.

Can't really put my finger on it but we seemed to lack that crucial key ingredient that has made us look very dangerous in the past few weeks, however it's definitely a good point against a decent calibre of opposition. We were the likelier to go on and win it but our momentum dissipated just at the wrong moment, around 85 minutes in, when prior to that we were knocking on the door.

But it's another clean sheet, 2 from 3 (Hartlepool should've been too) and that's eight unbeaten now so overall a positive day.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Top effort those who went. Decent point. Slightly smaller trip on Tuesday now
ARNU

I’d have taken the draw before the game.8 unbeaten. I’d take a point at Sutton too.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
dagger4eva

Happy with the point and definitely wouldve taken that before the game.

1-1 in terms of hitting the woodwork but in truth no side REALLY looked like scoring.

We did play some lovely stuff in patches but as someone else said, there dis just seem to be that extra little spark missing.

Another clean sheet is a big bonus even if Justham had one of his quieter afternoons in general.

I would actually also like to give some credit to Quigley. Was full of running, won a whole heap of headers and battled well. After a very rocky start he does seem to be coming into his own, so big compliments to him for that.

On to sutton we go.... via just 1 more night in Torquay :)
DaggerJoel11

Here's some of my analysis from today's goalless draw at Torquay, a game where we played well yet just didn't have that crucial edge in our attack.

https://dagnificent.weebly.com/blog1/th ... -daggers-0
SUSSEX DAGGER

Slightly disappointed as you should be when nobody had a bad game ,bar Luquie who looked well.out of salts. ALlways to me looking the more likely .
Nearly chucked the point away as well 2 minutes from time with another needless free kick that crashed against our bar.

Thought Will Wright had another good game and my mom was him or Matt Robinson who continues to work his nuts off for the cause.

Bad decision making cost us today as we never looked like conceading , now was that down to our defence or Torquay in all honesty having nothing up top. Time will tell.
Anyhow another solid effort
stanton101

I thought we battered them in the 2nd half. How we ended up picking up three bookings is beyond me. What really annoyed me was that we didn't go for the win in the dying seconds. Ffs get the ball in their box, don't play keep ball in the corner!!
All in all a decent point, but should have been three. Motm Robinson by a country mile, outstanding.
Dagdale

Walking down hill to the town after the game with two Gulls fans 'your boys are a very good all round unit and be a right surprise if you fail the top 7' sums our rise lately, still some work left to do but simply put we created a fair amount today but just the final piece was missing. Like a fair few of the 81 just somehow early on thought it would finish goal less, but a point is a point and all in all worth the long haul, lovely part of the world and boy did those catering guys look after us!
stanton101

Dagdale wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:49 pm Walking down hill to the town after the game with two Gulls fans 'your boys are a very good all round unit and be a right surprise if you fail the top 7' sums our rise lately, still some work left to do but simply put we created a fair amount today but just the final piece was missing. Like a fair few of the 81 just somehow early on thought it would finish goal less, but a point is a point and all in all worth the long haul, lovely part of the world and boy did those catering guys look after us!
I thought they were joking when they said the catering lady fell off her horse!
SUSSEX DAGGER

dagger4eva wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:50 pm Happy with the point and definitely wouldve taken that before the game.

1-1 in terms of hitting the woodwork but in truth no side REALLY looked like scoring.

We did play some lovely stuff in patches but as someone else said, there dis just seem to be that extra little spark missing.

Another clean sheet is a big bonus even if Justham had one of his quieter afternoons in general.

I would actually also like to give some credit to Quigley. Was full of running, won a whole heap of headers and battled well. After a very rocky start he does seem to be coming into his own, so big compliments to him for that.

On to sutton we go.... via just 1 more night in Torquay :)
Think the same if not more should be said about Will Wright DFE.

Ok clearly he was being judged on his performances in the advanced role but since he has taken up the posistion on the right side of the defence he has looked a totally different player, yesterday he was close to being mom in my book.

Well done Will another excellent effort
NBDag

Would have taken a draw if offered, but can’t help feel like we have shown that we are good enough to be taking 3 points from this. But 8 unbeaten should be sending a big message to the rest of the league.

I know it’s hard to justify changing a defence that is performing so well right now, but I can’t help but feel that our away from home goalscoring trouble could be helped massively if we bring in a Gordon or Eleftheriou into our defence who can get forward more. Feel a bit frustrated with how we can easily hit 2+ at home but are nowhere near being close to doing that in a different ground.
Sagres

'Boots & Laces' supporters bar was excellent, good friendly staff.
Beer football & hot beef rolls what more could you want + free bottles of water for all away supporters when we entered the ground.
Dagdale

Exactly Sagres, it takes a considerable effort to visit Plainmoor but always worth every mile , just like yesterday one of the friendliest clubs and banter you can have with away fans in non league and a really well run supporters bar with good ambience, also Stewards were so helpful, take away the bloody hills getting in and out although certainly good for the ticker a well worthy place to visit.