We are supporting him...bless!

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

davei wrote:Arnu, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the drinking and driving issue. However, while he was caught, charged found guilt and sentenced, our politicians (who supposedly are there to represent us) do far worse, actually DO get people killed and we make less of a fuss about it.

And yes, I have been touched by a drunk driver issue, which is why I have supported MADD since it's inception (Mrs Lightner) and have spoken to many classes of schoolkids (actually, so I am told by the RCMP, when I started many years ago, the very first of such on Vancouver Island) on the perils of drinking and driving.

If anyone's kid cannot see the difference between this guy and a real role model, not much anyone can do about it. Something about throwing the first brick comes to mind.
I agree with you davei,and Politicians are at the top of the list of the worst offenders for anything like this however we cant excuse the wrong actions of everyone else because of them can we.I mean you cant say the politicians are all corrupt bastards so its ok for Lg 2 footballers to drink drive.

Be interesting to do a poll on this (not sure if theres a facility on here for one).
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
davei

Hey there Arnu, you are definately preaching to the converted in this case. My point is though, this guy is going to do the penalty given to him and hopefully he will change his ways and rather than being cast adrift, maybe his will be a tle he can help others with if someone helps him. If not, then all deals are off. And if course, back to my original point, if the government really (and I mean really) wanted this to stop, the solution is simple. A zero tolerance level.

BUT do that and they would hear from all the restaurants, pubs and hospitality industry that demand people need to be able/have (sic) a drink when they are out and then be allowed to drive based on the assumption everyone will follow the rules. And, when you consider the taxes the government derives from both drink and fag sales, you really have to wonder, despite their protestations, how commited they are to really solving the problems that taxation based indulgances create.
ARNU

I think Woodalls kicked his last ball for Dagenham now anyway.I think this is a damage limitation exercise for both player and club.He'll go quietly with the minimal amount of damage.Dagenham wont want the attention,Woodall wont want it and he'll play football at a lower league level somewhere else.I hope he does learn from it.
Masked Man

ARNU wrote:I think we 'd all except (SIC) that having a strong positive male role model in a young boys life is always preferable where possible,and its fair to say that footballers,celebrity and pop stars all have a responsibility in their surrogate role model position.
Bloody hell, I agree with Arnu!! :o

But, as Daggers No.2 said below, if you've brought your children up with a good moral compass, watching decadent footballers, pop stars, etc, won't have 'too much' negative influence on them, as they'll realise the truth that lies behind the image.

It's (generalising) the kids (and there's lots of them!) who don't have ANY positive role models in their life that latch onto outsiders, gangs and bad boy musicians. Trying to project themself into those roles to give them a sense of self worth. To maybe give them the sense of acceptance and belonging that a dysfunctional family doesn't.

It's a much bigger problem than Brian Woodall drinking and driving....

Every bad boy is a victim of something themself. People don't just turn into fools.
ARNU

We can disagree on triviality like football and footballers but I don't think for one second either of us were born without morals or the sense of what behaviour is right and wrong Masked Man.It is refreshing to see you talk some sense occasionally too :lol:
Ilford Dagger

As I said on the BW thread if you drink & drive you should be banned for life, also with driving dangerously & causing death/injury to others exactly the same - end of....