An Alternative View

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
BillyC94

I would have put my opinion at the end of the "Bye Bye Burnett" thread however I thought I'd start a new topic to freshen up the debate. I was one of the 7 Daggers fans who was offered a lift on the team coach to the ground on Saturday seen as the distance from Yeovil Junction to Huish Park is quite a considerable journey and taxi fare. It was Wayne personally who approached me and my friends having been on the same train as the players on the way down. We were also on the same train back as the players where Warren Hackett and Steve Thompson both presented us with two large dominos pizza's which sorted out dinner which was again a nice gesture. I think it is important this is mentioned considering this "toxic atmosphere" that many on here believe it exists between the club and supporters at the moment. We then travelled home with the players and staff where I shared a glass of wine with Wayne, Darren Currie, Warren Hackett and Steve Thompson. We spoke about the current mess we find ourselves in, in a civilised manner as oppose to the constant abusive tone that many supporters prefer to talk to members of the club with these days. I've spoke to Wayne and his staff socially on a few occasions and find you get a lot more out of it when you approach them with a calm approach as well as more honest answers than you get if you just call him a "w****r* or whatever other insults you like to throw at him.

Despite these courteous gestures, the facts are 1 win in 12 which we all know is just not good enough. However, after speaking to Wayne and his coaching staff, I can honestly say I trust that the all of the coaching staff and players to work as hard as they possibly can to put things right. Criticisms that the current players don't care is just bull, as I just can't see how professional footballers who in my opinion are in the most privileged profession in the world don't give it their all every single game. Another argument I have against these long rants against Wayne is the fact that many argue even when we were winning it was 'boring', we won 10 of our last 19 games scoring 31 goals a long the way, hardly boring in my opinion. Very memorable performances against Tranmere away, Plymouth, AFC Wimbledon and Accrington at home were among my favourite of last season under the man who is supposedly so 'clueless'. I'm not saying it's a guarantee Wayne will pull us out of this mess again however the suggestions that he is incapable of it surely contradicts his achievements of last season where he pulled us from being in the bottom two at Christmas to a 14th place finish.

Now onto what matters, this season. 1 win in 12, terrible start. I feel I'm in a good position to comment what's gone wrong having not missed a league game since March 2014 and not missed a game league or cup this season. The central midfield partnership of Ferdinand and Boucaud is not strong enough despite both being talented footballers individually, I honestly believe you'd see the central defensive partnership of Nyron and Ayo thrive with more protection rather than being under constant pressure. I'd maybe suggest a stronger central midfielder in on loan, maybe Sutherland is the answer but time will tell as he didn't get too long on Saturday. Although, being in charge for a considerable amount of time Wayne is still learning and is not a bad bloke despite the image a lot of supporters want to create on here. I did speak to him about the incident on Saturday which he is adamant he did not swear at the supporter in question, however speaking to a trusted older supporter who was closer to the incident claimed he did so I guess unless you were in close proximity to the incident, you'll never know. Had to laugh at those on twitter and on here who were calling for 'gross misconduct' despite not even being at the game and knowing none of the facts.

So to end this rant, I understand it is heavily biased towards Wayne however I believe someone has to stand up for the bloke who is just doomed with some fans who have the knives out for him whatever the result. One supporter I do hope sees this is the lad in the sieve with the distinctive voice which I'm sure irritates anyone who stands near the halfway line, all I hear is him constantly berate the players, Wayne and anyone associated with the club to be honest. How he calls himself a "supporter" is beyond me and he probably wants to look what the word means in the dictionary. I know, it's a long shot but can we at least try to support the team on Saturday in a very winnable game rather than maintain the 'toxic atmosphere' that is perceived by many supporters. I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say Wayne will get us out of this, if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it and apologise on here for this rant. Anyway, debate away! *ducks for cover*
It's a game of opinions. @BillyCove94
dagger4eva

Nice post and that was actually very interesting to read a proper argument from the other side of the fence so to speak.

As is obvious I'm a big Wayne Out person right now but I honestly dont think its true that me or any other supporter has the knives out for him regardless of what he does from here on in.

Having spoken to him a few times personally in his earlier days I know full well hes a decent enough bloke. He very much wears his heart on his sleeve, means well and is trying his damnedest to succeed (as he is paid to)
Despite that, I genuinely think hes given it his best shot and the time has come to say I tried but it hasnt worked.
I know hes a proud man though so dont expect in the slightest to see him resign as it would be a sign of him quitting.

Maybe we'll go on a winning streak starting saturday and him and the team can perhaps start to prove me and several other disgruntled fans wrong.... again.

But I guess time will tell hey!
ARNU

Good post Billy.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

Proper noncey post that.
DagenHammer87

Thanks for posting. Nice to hear good things do still happen around the club!

This isn't a dig; but did the events after the game as you've described make any difference in your opinions of Wayne?

Fingers crossed for Saturday.

No matter what's going on, or how bad the feeling is around the place; I still always hope come 5p.m we'll have picked up 3 points.
Chigwellian

I am in a position to say that Wayne Burnett lies out of his backside...
davei

Nice post Billy.............
stanton101

Well said Billy.
mickeyblue

nice post bill!

yes the voice irritates most around me.

how the heck we poke up with him nobody knows.

oh btw he volunteers for the club selling programmes etc
but we finished 9th!
bloke down the pub

W.B. and Thommo OUT or Thommo and W.B. OUT. My Alternative View.
Diggerthedog

BillyC94 wrote:I would have put my opinion at the end of the "Bye Bye Burnett" thread however I thought I'd start a new topic to freshen up the debate. I was one of the 7 Daggers fans who was offered a lift on the team coach to the ground on Saturday seen as the distance from Yeovil Junction to Huish Park is quite a considerable journey and taxi fare. It was Wayne personally who approached me and my friends having been on the same train as the players on the way down. We were also on the same train back as the players where Warren Hackett and Steve Thompson both presented us with two large dominos pizza's which sorted out dinner which was again a nice gesture. I think it is important this is mentioned considering this "toxic atmosphere" that many on here believe it exists between the club and supporters at the moment. We then travelled home with the players and staff where I shared a glass of wine with Wayne, Darren Currie, Warren Hackett and Steve Thompson. We spoke about the current mess we find ourselves in, in a civilised manner as oppose to the constant abusive tone that many supporters prefer to talk to members of the club with these days. I've spoke to Wayne and his staff socially on a few occasions and find you get a lot more out of it when you approach them with a calm approach as well as more honest answers than you get if you just call him a "w****r* or whatever other insults you like to throw at him.

Despite these courteous gestures, the facts are 1 win in 12 which we all know is just not good enough. However, after speaking to Wayne and his coaching staff, I can honestly say I trust that the all of the coaching staff and players to work as hard as they possibly can to put things right. Criticisms that the current players don't care is just bull, as I just can't see how professional footballers who in my opinion are in the most privileged profession in the world don't give it their all every single game. Another argument I have against these long rants against Wayne is the fact that many argue even when we were winning it was 'boring', we won 10 of our last 19 games scoring 31 goals a long the way, hardly boring in my opinion. Very memorable performances against Tranmere away, Plymouth, AFC Wimbledon and Accrington at home were among my favourite of last season under the man who is supposedly so 'clueless'. I'm not saying it's a guarantee Wayne will pull us out of this mess again however the suggestions that he is incapable of it surely contradicts his achievements of last season where he pulled us from being in the bottom two at Christmas to a 14th place finish.

Now onto what matters, this season. 1 win in 12, terrible start. I feel I'm in a good position to comment what's gone wrong having not missed a league game since March 2014 and not missed a game league or cup this season. The central midfield partnership of Ferdinand and Boucaud is not strong enough despite both being talented footballers individually, I honestly believe you'd see the central defensive partnership of Nyron and Ayo thrive with more protection rather than being under constant pressure. I'd maybe suggest a stronger central midfielder in on loan, maybe Sutherland is the answer but time will tell as he didn't get too long on Saturday. Although, being in charge for a considerable amount of time Wayne is still learning and is not a bad bloke despite the image a lot of supporters want to create on here. I did speak to him about the incident on Saturday which he is adamant he did not swear at the supporter in question, however speaking to a trusted older supporter who was closer to the incident claimed he did so I guess unless you were in close proximity to the incident, you'll never know. Had to laugh at those on twitter and on here who were calling for 'gross misconduct' despite not even being at the game and knowing none of the facts.

So to end this rant, I understand it is heavily biased towards Wayne however I believe someone has to stand up for the bloke who is just doomed with some fans who have the knives out for him whatever the result. One supporter I do hope sees this is the lad in the sieve with the distinctive voice which I'm sure irritates anyone who stands near the halfway line, all I hear is him constantly berate the players, Wayne and anyone associated with the club to be honest. How he calls himself a "supporter" is beyond me and he probably wants to look what the word means in the dictionary. I know, it's a long shot but can we at least try to support the team on Saturday in a very winnable game rather than maintain the 'toxic atmosphere' that is perceived by many supporters. I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say Wayne will get us out of this, if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it and apologise on here for this rant. Anyway, debate away! *ducks for cover*
First thing I have never seen any approach the board or the manager after a game in an aggressive manner, it's seems your post suggest that anyone wants him out acts vile towards him this is not true. Yes the odd moron but that's it. I want him out but never once have voiced my opinion at a game during the 90 minutes to make it 'Toxic' something the current regime should be delighted with in the current climate of pantomime football and the atrocious shower of shit the keep serving up.

You mentioned that the players are trying yet theanager himself said this has not been the case on a few occasions.

You tweeted Wayne after the Mansfield game and asked for him to leave, now a deleted tweet and now this? Many in the for Wayne camp now at some point wanted him out at least the rest of us are not hypocrites.
OBD

@OfficialBigDave
Mike the Dagger

No problem with the other side of the debate at all. Nice to hear that the club still does decent things for the fans.

As someone that used to travel a lot before I had a family (and my eldest is 22 now) I understand that going away is a great way to get in touch with the individuals that run and play for the club. Unfortunately, most of the club's fans don't have the opportunity to go to away games on a redgular basis and our home form in 2014 and this season has been dire. The club is losing supporters as a result of the poor fare being had at home and the already tight budget must be getting tigthter and tighter as a result

The only way out of this is to win some games and entertain the home crowd, make it fun to go to Victoria Road again. Yes we had a few decent wins at home in the second half of last season, but by then a lot had given up coming. The Wimbledon win was a good one I grant you, but they battered us for 45 minutes in that match. The Accrington game in particular was a proper end of season game with the opposition already in their flip flops.

No one has ever accused Wayne and his team of not working hard to my knowledge, yet it is brought up by Tommo etc. every time as his main virtue. I am sure if I was manager I would work hard at it too, but that would not make me good at it.

I agree the current midfield offers little protection to our back four, yet it is Wayne's midfield. He let Ogogo, Bingham and Howell go and didn't replace them.

Against Mansfield it was obvious from the first time they had a set piece that we had no clue how to defend against their big guys. In the 80th minute they fimnally scored from a free header at the far post. It is the managers job to spot the problems and do something about them, no? We were 3-1 up as a result of keeping the ball on the floor and turning their centre halves. When McClure went off injured and 5'7" Jamie Cureton came on, suddenly we are banging the ball high at him. That has to come from the manager or do the players not listen to him in which case it is a different problem?

Against Yeovil (and no I wasn't there) we had a shape in the first half that had us leading 2-0, which we changed at half time by going 4-4-2, due to injury granted - although we had options on the bench to keep the shape, and lost the lead, resulting in the substitution of the substitute.

Wayne picked Saah as captain and sidelined Scott Doe for much of the first half of last season. He has picked Boucaud as captain this season. Neither of these are natural leaders.

These are the sort of things that persuade me that Wayne Burnett is tactically inept. Nice guy and hard worker? Quite possibly. Smart and savvy football manager? Not at the moment.
SUSSEX DAGGER

[quote="BillyC94"]I would have put my opinion at the end of the "Bye Bye Burnett" thread however I thought I'd start a new topic to freshen up the debate. I was one of the 7 Daggers fans who was offered a lift on the team coach to the ground on Saturday seen as the distance from Yeovil Junction to Huish Park is quite a considerable journey and taxi fare. It was Wayne personally who approached me and my friends having been on the same train as the players on the way down. We were also on the same train back as the players where Warren Hackett and Steve Thompson both presented us with two large dominos pizza's which sorted out dinner which was again a nice gesture. I think it is important this is mentioned considering this "toxic atmosphere" that many on here believe it exists between the club and supporters at the moment. We then travelled home with the players and staff where I shared a glass of wine with Wayne, Darren Currie, Warren Hackett and Steve Thompson. We spoke about the current mess we find ourselves in, in a civilised manner as oppose to the constant abusive tone that many supporters prefer to talk to members of the club with these days. I've spoke to Wayne and his staff socially on a few occasions and find you get a lot more out of it when you approach them with a calm approach as well as more honest answers than you get if you just call him a "w****r* or whatever other insults you like to throw at him.

So to end this rant, I understand it is heavily biased towards Wayne however I believe someone has to stand up for the bloke who is just doomed with some fans who have the knives out for him whatever the result. One supporter I do hope sees this is the lad in the sieve with the distinctive voice which I'm sure irritates anyone who stands near the halfway line, all I hear is him constantly berate the players, Wayne and anyone associated with the club to be honest. How he calls himself a "supporter" is beyond me and he probably wants to look what the word means in the dictionary. I know, it's a long shot but can we at least try to support the team on Saturday in a very winnable game rather than maintain the 'toxic atmosphere' that is perceived by many supporters. I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say Wayne will get us out of this, if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it and apologise on here for this rant. Anyway, debate away! *ducks for cover*[/quote

Good to see that Wayne Burnett may not have an Army, he may not even have a platoon but looks like he still has a few Soilders. Dont Panic, Dont Panic
dagger4eva

Been waiting to hear from the man himself but he seems to of gone rather quiet this week....

Fully expecting an absolute corker on BBC London tomorrow if we beat the Monkey Hangers! Hope Radio Stu has his hard hat at the ready :lol: