In Burnett's defence

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
admin
Site Admin

As things stand, bizarrely Burnett is on track this season in all competitions.

League - out of the relegation zone
League cup - lost to a championship team (form result)
JPT - Had a decent run and lost to Oxford (which isn't too bad)
FA Cup - won't speak to soon but if he beats Whitehawk then we have the possibility of a glamour tie

I don't think I'll ever like him, there's still a few things I'm unsure about personally but if at the end of the week we have a 3rd round FA cup tie to look forward to, then Burnett will be meeting start of season expectations and therefore would keep his doubters (including myself) very quiet for a while
ARNU

You lot just expect too much from a guy that has to start with nearly a new team every season despite usually finishing way higher than his brief.Now its finally coming together you've all gone quiet.Well till his next defeat I s'pose.We aint getting relegated this season and you all know it.but...we are supporting a team that whoever manages it,will bounce around the bottom until we do drop into the conference.I predict he keeps us up this year and next,****** off as soon as his contract is up and the new bloke will take us down.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Adrian

ARNU wrote:You lot just expect too much from a guy that has to start with nearly a new team every season despite usually finishing way higher than his brief.Now its finally coming together you've all gone quiet.Well till his next defeat I s'pose.We aint getting relegated this season and you all know it.but...we are supporting a team that whoever manages it,will bounce around the bottom until we do drop into the conference.I predict he keeps us up this year and next,****** off as soon as his contract is up and the new bloke will take us down.
I don't expect much at all. But a team that looks like the knows what it is doing from the beginning of the season rather than after 20 games would be one expectation.

I've gone quiet because I've seen so little and not missed it either.
Phippo

ARNU wrote:You lot just expect too much from a guy that has to start with nearly a new team every season despite usually finishing way higher than his brief.Now its finally coming together you've all gone quiet.Well till his next defeat I s'pose.We aint getting relegated this season and you all know it.but...we are supporting a team that whoever manages it,will bounce around the bottom until we do drop into the conference.I predict he keeps us up this year and next,****** off as soon as his contract is up and the new bloke will take us down.

I doubt Wayne HAS to start with "nearly a new team" every season. I find it ludicrous that most players are signed on one year contracts and then most of them left to run down the contract (not the ones who are determined to leave in any case). If a player shows promise then surely offer an extension before the contract expires (and not a reduced terms one)! As current things stand, it's as if the club just prepare for the step down to the National League each year! I am aware that the club are one of the poorer clubs (after all we get reminded all too frequently by Management)!

As for Wayne leaving of his own accord, he certainly hasn't been inclined to do that thus far! Why on earth (with his record) would he do that (unless I keep missing the queue of clubs trying to tempt him away)?
Grimsweeper

Beat whitehawk.

Plum draw in 3rd round.

Pay off Burnett.

It's true , the FA cup could save our season.
redboy

Grimsweeper wrote:Beat whitehawk.

Plum draw in 3rd round.

Pay off Burnett.

It's true , the FA cup could save our season.
Couldn't agree with you more. Fundamentally, we have a reasonable squad of players, problems is Coco doesn't know what his best XI is or what formation / style to adopt. He's never warmed to the supporters, has a huge chip on his shoulder and answers questions with a question which really winds me up!
ARNU

Waynes job is "Don't get relegated and please try and give us a cup run".

I bet there is no clause stating it has to be pretty.

And any new manager will have exactly the same brief,unless some Russian oligarch comes and buys the club.

Can anyone smell coffee ??
SUSSEX DAGGER

Got to laugh Arnu haven't you .

That mob along the road to me spent over a quarter of a million pounds last year on Agents fees alone. For the Second year running the so called hapless Wayne Burnett out performed them after spending errrr £700 on such services.

York have now changed their Manager 3 times in a year spent a fortune on doing so and spent over 50k on Agent Services and are in a bigger mess then when they started.

This bloke could lead us up the League, get us to the furthest we ever have got in the FA Cup and it still would not change Peoples bigoted views on him.

Agree with you mate another couple of seasons survival with us will bring him to the attention of Clubs who have constantly spunked money up the wall in trying to achieve what he has on a fraction of the cost.

Wont it be funny if he turns out to be the biggest asset amongst the Staff we currently have outside Jodi Jones
Grimsweeper

Meanwhile....back on planet earth.

2 in 18
Lcbdagger

Christ alive we win won league game in months and suddenly he's out of trouble and delivering exactly what we all expect of him... the idea of a new team each season is silly when some of those we could have kept but didn't subsequently went down a league!
dagger4eva

Arnu, Sussex take a look at yourselves!

2 wins in 18 (zero @ home)

Slight improvement V Oxford

Got battered away to Wimbledon

Fully deserved a win v plymouth but still wasnt capable of seeing it out

All of a sudden wayne burnett is being touted as the clubs potential next biggest asset after Jodi Jones.

If by the end of December we're in round 3 of the FA Cup, have won at home and find ourselves a few points clear of the relegation zone ill give the bloke a break.

Until then....

Burnett out!
Alan

I honestly cannot believe anyone can think that a spawny win at Wimbledon and 1 point out of 2 home games in which we played ok makes Wayne the new messiah.

Another way of looking at it: against Plymouth he naively failed run down the clock to and put on Doidge, a target man, in place of Cureton, a 40 year old forward and this contributed to a sloppy tired foul by Cureton with seconds left on the clock - time that a substitution might have run down?

It's another year like last year: 20 games in he doesn't know his best team. He doesn't even know his best 'keeper.
Mike the Dagger

Alan wrote:I honestly cannot believe anyone can think that a spawny win at Wimbledon and 1 point out of 2 home games in which we played ok makes Wayne the new messiah.

Another way of looking at it: against Plymouth he naively failed run down the clock to and put on Doidge, a target man, in place of Cureton, a 40 year old forward and this contributed to a sloppy tired foul by Cureton with seconds left on the clock - time that a substitution might have run down?

It's another year like last year: 20 games in he doesn't know his best team. He doesn't even know his best 'keeper.
^^^ This
ARNU

I gave him the target of out of the bottom 2 by Dec 1st.He's done it,I now give him the target of finishing 16th.That wont be enough for a lot of you over there in la la land but you'd have to admit you'd have took that before the season kicked off.Its taken Wayne half a season to sort this lot out,a win tonight at Morecambe must be a possibility.
Mike the Dagger

I agree that a win tonight and Sunday will take the immediate pressure off, but I don't believe i will now ever warm to the guy for all his obvious failings over the last two years.

The reason I first turned against him was our home form. This remains awful making a trip to Victoria Road for me a chore more often than it is something to look forward to. More games like Saturday's and that might change, but lets not forget that once again we failed to win a game we led in and couldn't close out for whatever reason this time.

All this bull about him having to start each season with a new team in a total red herring. Yes we have to offer short contracts as do most clubs at our level, but he could have sorted out contracts on the assumption he would still be in place, but he didn't. TBH he probably thought he was for the chop once his contract was up as well off the back of the appalling form in calendar year 2014. That he didn't was a bit petulant I believe, especially given his apparently wonderful relationship with the board, and the result was we lost a few players we shouldn't have. I suspect Abu and Billy were off whatever, but Luke Howell and Doey???

Tactically Wayne appears sometimes totally naive. I'm not a football coach, but I can often see where things are going wrong and so can a lot of people on the terraces. The Mansfield game was a classic of that sort. It was blindingly obvious what their threat was, yet Wayne changed nothing to combat it and we lost a two goal lead and three points as a result.

The constant changes of personnel and formation show he doesn't have a set plan and also doesn't appear to know his best 11. Whenever the Daggers have been successful it is off the back of a season with a settled side with a settled tactical plan.

Then there is the whole attitude to any criticism. FFS Wayne, you are a professional football manager, if that is your chosen career path, grow a thicker skin in public at least.

The stats for our league form (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1525) remain shocking, and while we are out of the bottom two today, we are currently well adrift of the teams above us and any kind of mid table obscurity which is apparently the next target. We need to stop chucking away leads and add consistency.

On a final note, I wrote this 15 years ago.... http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8214991.