Nathan Ferguson

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
TommyD&R

Another one of our old youth team players who we released for nothing has been signed by a League 1 club via a ryman league club. This time Nathan Ferguson from Grays to Burton, think he went for a small fee too. Same as Santos, why can't we spot the talent when they're actually on our books?
lupins

It isn't as simple as that and more a case of the too big a gap between Academy and step to first team with not much in between
This makes it very hard to keep players as then they could easily never play.
Sometimes decisions then have to be made which are not about recognising talent but being able to utilise it within squad and finance constraints.
ARNU

Maybe getting released puts a rocket up their arse.We've had a few what seemed like mediocre players go on to do better things.I don't remember being overly excited about Harley Dean.Did all right though didn't he.I always thought Wes Thomas was a good'un,but Stilly didn't like him for whatever reason.(Think he was a poor trainer and wanted out if I remember correctly)

Sometimes you need a reality check to spur you into action.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
TommyD&R

lupins wrote:It isn't as simple as that and more a case of the too big a gap between Academy and step to first team with not much in between
This makes it very hard to keep players as then they could easily never play.
Sometimes decisions then have to be made which are not about recognising talent but being able to utilise it within squad and finance constraints.
Good point but he's only been gone for a year and a bit, surely we could've hung onto him and loaned him out for a few seasons like we've been doing with Ian Gayle
Mark

He was quite highly rated with our youth side. Thought he'd have got a contract tbh.