So The Odds Are Shortening

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DI Mike Dashwood

So, on train home last Sunday, I said to one of my mates, who likes a punt, what price all this happening by the time of the replay:

- John Still leaving Luton
- Us drawing a big 3rd round tie - DONE
- Us getting the replay on TV and therefore getting some money - DONE
- Wayne leaving the Club
- John Still being in charge by the replay

He gave me 15-1 on all of that lot.

Now two of the criteria have already been met, and a look at a lot of the Luton forums (Luton Outlaws is a good forum actually) will tell you that a third one looks like it will happen tomorrow.

So I reckon the odds on all of them being met are now a lot shorter.

Not saying I want them all to happen (or that I don't) but you have to say, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of impossibility would it??
Diggerthedog

So the board will only sack the manager if Still is available?? You're probably right Dashers.
DI Mike Dashwood

Well there are various reasons I think that may be case DTD.

Firstly, in 24 years this Club has only had 7 managers, or 6 if you are only counting Still once. The Board obviously like to work with people they know and trust, and in my view there is a lot of merit in that.

Secondly, would John "I love the Club so much" Still be more affordable than other potential candidates?? Stilly obviously still knows what goes on at the Club and will see the mess we are in, and the apparent precarious financial situation, and may be willing to take it on in the short term (6 or 18 month contract) for a relatively cheap price??

Thirdly, the board know John's capabilities. He has a ceiling and a shelf life in my eyes (as proved with almost every role he has had) BUT in the short term he gets things sorted and knows this League, and in the mid term he steadies ships. A lot of the names being thrown about on other threads have mixed records in the short, mid and long terms, but they would know what they are going getting with Stilly.

The against is whether he would want to risk his reputation being tarnished. He may look at this lot and think "no way I can get this lot out of the mess they are in" and decide to knock it.

As I say, I am not saying its good or bad thing, just I think the chances of this happening are increasing.
The Romford Dagger

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:Well there are various reasons I think that may be case DTD.

Firstly, in 24 years this Club has only had 7 managers, or 6 if you are only counting Still once. The Board obviously like to work with people they know and trust, and in my view there is a lot of merit in that.

Secondly, would John "I love the Club so much" Still be more affordable than other potential candidates?? Stilly obviously still knows what goes on at the Club and will see the mess we are in, and the apparent precarious financial situation, and may be willing to take it on in the short term (6 or 18 month contract) for a relatively cheap price??

Thirdly, the board know John's capabilities. He has a ceiling and a shelf life in my eyes (as proved with almost every role he has had) BUT in the short term he gets things sorted and knows this League, and in the mid term he steadies ships. A lot of the names being thrown about on other threads have mixed records in the short, mid and long terms, but they would know what they are going getting with Stilly.

The against is whether he would want to risk his reputation being tarnished. He may look at this lot and think "no way I can get this lot out of the mess they are in" and decide to knock it.

As I say, I am not saying its good or bad thing, just I think the chances of this happening are increasing.
John coming back would also put the fans back on side imho also.
dagger4eva

The way John left the club the 2nd time around there was a fair amount of bad feeling (between him & club) - and regardless, i've always thought John would probablt look to retire after his time at Luton came to an end. He would've made more than enough loot to let him spend a very comfortable retirement.

I'd put his chances of re-joining us (even short term) at about 5%
SUSSEX DAGGER

Interesting point Mike

Remember he talks to Wayne a lot and if he was not Manager here he would be standing on The terraces here with us.

Very shortly it looks like he is not going to be Manager anywhere so he will have plenty of time on his hands and if he was to buy a half price season ticket then he could advise Wayne how his see's things over his many chats.

On a more serious note if they could persuade him there would be no need to pay the others off as they have all worked together before with a bit of success.

This all sounds a bit romantic tho and let's not forget he claimed in the pre match interval on hatters player before our game last month he was instrumental in Wayne getting the job.

The thing that has helped Wayne without a shadow of a doubt is the two beneath us are not winning and Hartlepool have hardly done much since they beat us . Newport are still within in two wins .

So the question is will the board back Wayne to win what starts as a three horse race , if they do then it also follows that other teams on current form could come back .

So my bet is that they stick with the faith they had last. May and what John Still appeared to have three and half years ago
DI Mike Dashwood

Did you give me a price on this D4E??

Looks like I was a couple of weeks late, but we will be there soon!!!
dagger4eva

I meant 5% chance of him re-joining in the 24 hr period from my post... honest :p
DI Mike Dashwood

Ha ha, will let you off then?!?'v