A few thoughts

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Adrian

I realise that this could have probably gone in any of several other threads, but I'm not sure which one so I'm going to start a new one anyway.

Firstly, I think it is sad for anyone to lose their job and at this time of year the timing is pretty rubbish. While I doubt it will have any impact from a financial point, it probably will from an emotional point and that's not nice.

There's been a lot said in various ways on here over the last few days, and I think in a lot of cases some of our supporters have been unfair either to other supporters or people at the club. It really isn't necessary.

There wasn't a hate campaign or witch hunt against Burnett. No-one ever said the league positions he attained in the last two seasons weren't good enough. In a few cases though some of us did see problems long before others did with regard to performance, levels of entertainment, organisation etc.
For me, I don't think he should have been given the job permanently after the caretaker spell. However, I liked what I saw early in that next season with games against Rochdale and Burton really standing out and hoped to see more, even though it could be a bit nerve-wracking. After that it all seemed to go a bit wrong with the win against Wycombe. Some of the displays I saw after that were abysmal at best, with the odd decent performance chucked in. I have pretty much lost all interest in coming to games and am hoping that with Burnett going there might be something to tempt me back now.

I've seen comments about Burnett being a nice person. If I'm honest, I'm not sure he is. I'm not saying he's a nasty person as such, but some of his actions - from radio interviews to treatment of young inexperienced players over the last couple of seasons don't connect with my view of a nice person.
To an extent, I think he forced his sacking with the interview on Saturday. He pretty much challenged the club to sack him, and had they not reacted at that point they'd have been a complete laughing stock (I know some think they already are). There was an arrogance to him which I don't think he was ever good enough to justify.

Sadly, I think the biggest mistake on both the part of the club and Burnett was the contract before this season. I get the feeling that the club didn't really know what else to do and that Burnett only signed because he had nothing else to go to(that's not a criticism of him, I'd have probably done the same). Had they parted ways at that point, it may have left both parties in a better state in the long run.

If nothing else, I hope that following this I'll start to see some semblance of the Dagenham & Redbridge that I remember returning and I'll start enjoying being a Dagenham & Redbridge supporter again..
ARNU

Great post Adrian.

I Just said something very similar in the other thread re the 2 good finishes 9th and 15th and the bit about the interview being arrogant.I think it was arrogance masking upset though.He knew and we knew it was over Saturday at ten to 5.His inability to deal with criticism was ultimately his downfall.Wore his heart on his sleeve and felt anything he didn't like to hear was a personal attack on him all the time.I would imagine deep down he's quite hurt buy all this and has lost much sleep trying to put it right.Most of all id like to think he'd recognise not everyone was against him,Im sure Sussex Me and others held out longer this season than even he could have expected given the results.

I hope he pours himself a beer tonight,has a nice Christmas and gets a good job in the new year sometime when its all blown over.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
The Romford Dagger

Adrian wrote:I realise that this could have probably gone in any of several other threads, but I'm not sure which one so I'm going to start a new one anyway.

Firstly, I think it is sad for anyone to lose their job and at this time of year the timing is pretty rubbish. While I doubt it will have any impact from a financial point, it probably will from an emotional point and that's not nice.

There's been a lot said in various ways on here over the last few days, and I think in a lot of cases some of our supporters have been unfair either to other supporters or people at the club. It really isn't necessary.

There wasn't a hate campaign or witch hunt against Burnett. No-one ever said the league positions he attained in the last two seasons weren't good enough. In a few cases though some of us did see problems long before others did with regard to performance, levels of entertainment, organisation etc.
For me, I don't think he should have been given the job permanently after the caretaker spell. However, I liked what I saw early in that next season with games against Rochdale and Burton really standing out and hoped to see more, even though it could be a bit nerve-wracking. After that it all seemed to go a bit wrong with the win against Wycombe. Some of the displays I saw after that were abysmal at best, with the odd decent performance chucked in. I have pretty much lost all interest in coming to games and am hoping that with Burnett going there might be something to tempt me back now.

I've seen comments about Burnett being a nice person. If I'm honest, I'm not sure he is. I'm not saying he's a nasty person as such, but some of his actions - from radio interviews to treatment of young inexperienced players over the last couple of seasons don't connect with my view of a nice person.
To an extent, I think he forced his sacking with the interview on Saturday. He pretty much challenged the club to sack him, and had they not reacted at that point they'd have been a complete laughing stock (I know some think they already are). There was an arrogance to him which I don't think he was ever good enough to justify.

Sadly, I think the biggest mistake on both the part of the club and Burnett was the contract before this season. I get the feeling that the club didn't really know what else to do and that Burnett only signed because he had nothing else to go to(that's not a criticism of him, I'd have probably done the same). Had they parted ways at that point, it may have left both parties in a better state in the long run.

If nothing else, I hope that following this I'll start to see some semblance of the Dagenham & Redbridge that I remember returning and I'll start enjoying being a Dagenham & Redbridge supporter again..

I think thats the best post you've ever done ;p
SUSSEX DAGGER

Adrian wrote:I realise that this could have probably gone in any of several other threads, but I'm not sure which one so I'm going to start a new one anyway.

A well thought out and produced post. Nobody at this Club relished this outcome because it only occurred for one reason and that was a run of very poor results.

The funny thing is that if things had turned out differently at Wycombe, Yeovil and at home to Plymouth then perhaps the boil would not have been lanced and that would have papered over a lot of cracks. Ok we would have been 6 points better off but when that cushion had evaporated , the way things were going it surely would have, we would have had perhaps 12-15 games left to do something about it.

This Club is unique in as much the bloke who leads it has to be one of us and in truth Wayne was never that

Hindsight is 20/20 vision but you are right it would have been better for both parties if they had parted at the end of last season. Lets face it there has already been jobs come up in this League this season, anyone of those Club may have taken his record at face value and taken him.

Its time we all moved on and give his successor all the encouragement and support he needs , one thing I am certain of is ten years from now by the grace of God we will all still be here, but the statistical probability is that we will have to run this race at least twice more in the intervening years.
Masked Man

TOP POST ADRAIN!