Recruitment

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

In fairness to Johnny Hoof,he must be given time to settle in like we gave Wayne(well some of us anyway).Saturday is now a blurred memory for me,I vaguely remember it being total shite so I'd hope to see an improvement tonight.I'd actually give O'Brien a go in goal as maybe at least he could work out booting the ball up in the air into a 60 mph wind is a crap idea.Roll the ******** ball out to the defender then let him hoof it al least it'll reach the other half before we give it away to the opposition.No midgets up front tonight please !
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Diggerthedog

ARNU wrote:In fairness to Johnny Hoof,he must be given time to settle in like we gave Wayne(well some of us anyway).Saturday is now a blurred memory for me,I vaguely remember it being total shite so I'd hope to see an improvement tonight.I'd actually give O'Brien a go in goal as maybe at least he could work out booting the ball up in the air into a 60 mph wind is a crap idea.Roll the ******** ball out to the defender then let him hoof it al least it'll reach the other half before we give it away to the opposition.No midgets up front tonight please !
Cousins will be told by Still what to do with the ball. It will rarely be rolled out with him in charge.
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:In fairness to Johnny Hoof,he must be given time to settle in like we gave Wayne(well some of us anyway).
I don't recall anyone really getting on Wayne's back until towards the end of 2014 actually.

No need to let any facts intervene with your opinion though.
ARNU

Mike the Dagger wrote:
ARNU wrote:In fairness to Johnny Hoof,he must be given time to settle in like we gave Wayne(well some of us anyway).
I don't recall anyone really getting on Wayne's back until towards the end of 2014 actually.

Short memory Mike,he wasn't given a chance early on and people slagged him even when he finished 9th the very next season.Thats not to say he was brilliant but facts have clearly intervened with your opinion here.
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:
Mike the Dagger wrote:

Short memory Mike,he wasn't given a chance early on and people slagged him even when he finished 9th the very next season.Thats not to say he was brilliant but facts have clearly intervened with your opinion here.
Not at all, my memory is pretty good considering my advanced years. I recall an "in or out" thread on here maybe late September 2014 at which point we had been struggling at home for the whole year when I first offered my opinion on Wayne maybe being the wrong man based purely on home form. That thread was about 50/50 for and against as I recall it. It wasn't until the FA cup debacle with Southport that there was any kind of real momentum to the "Wayne Out" campaign.

I will admit to not being quite as impressed by the 9th place finish as some of the Burnett gushers, yourself included, as it could have been 15th or so without a couple of lucky spins of the ball in key games, but fair do's to the team for achieving it. We dream of 19th right now, never mind 9th.
ARNU

Any Dagenham manager that finishes 9th in league 2 over 46 games has done very well,its about the position after the league has finished yet you and others come up with that old chestnut "if so and so had drawn we'd have been 15th" bollox. Wayne got 60 points that year with same points but better goal difference than Plymouth and Mansfield.Cant see how that would have made us 15th ???? It would have needed 6 teams below us to have done better so I think you are harsh on Wayne for the fun of it.Go on how would we have been 15th ? Maybe if there'd been another 4 matches but even then we may have won them.

Now the fact this season has gone to shit may well have waynes fingerprints on it,but along with other factors,budget and losing the dressing room and Johnny hoof demanding his keeper hoofs in to a force 8 gale regardless of the fact the midgets up front will never get the ball.How long can we go on blaming Burnett ? Worrall gave away the penalty Saturday,the keeper hoofed badly and Gutteridge did ****** all for the entire game.
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:Any Dagenham manager that finishes 9th in league 2 over 46 games has done very well,its about the position after the league has finished yet you and others come up with that old chestnut "if so and so had drawn we'd have been 15th" bollox. Wayne got 60 points that year with same points but better goal difference than Plymouth and Mansfield.Cant see how that would have made us 15th ???? It would have needed 6 teams below us to have done better so I think you are harsh on Wayne for the fun of it.Go on how would we have been 15th ? Maybe if there'd been another 4 matches but even then we may have won them.

Now the fact this season has gone to shit may well have waynes fingerprints on it,but along with other factors,budget and losing the dressing room and Johnny hoof demanding his keeper hoofs in to a force 8 gale regardless of the fact the midgets up front will never get the ball.How long can we go on blaming Burnett ? Worrall gave away the penalty Saturday,the keeper hoofed badly and Gutteridge did ****** all for the entire game.
Yada yada yada. Burnett was clueless mostly throughout his tenure, professed to want to play the beautiful game, but had a different game plan every week pretty much. He's gone. Move on.

Still has a certain style. It isn't always great to watch but it is generally effective. We'd be down if we hadn't made a change, we might be down anyway. The world won't end if we go down, but it'll be a massive shame for the club.
ARNU

Im not disagreeing about Burnett entirely.Just that you harp on about how clueless/useless he was yet fail to acknowledge he had seasons better than quite a few of Stilly's who had arguably better teams.As far as Im concerned Burnett had 2 bad part seasons and 2 pretty good finishes.Theres no denying he had to go in the end and possibly a bit before but your selective memory is the only reason im going on about it.One thing is for sure if its windy tonight we are ******.
mickeyblue

when i first read the great first post i thought oh this will turn out into a burnett finished 9th bullshit thread.
ill take hat off to burnett for finishing 9th with stilly team and a few additions, its the time before that when we stayed up on goal differance and the time after what was the problem but hey 1 season he did well.
he done his best which wasnt good enough but i still wish him well
but we finished 9th!
Adrian

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:Both Lee and Arnu's post s fail to appreciate one thing about what turned out duff signings both John and Wayne made over the years. Where any of them their first choice , I very much doubt it

Batt was a disaster for Wayne no doubt about that but that was not his first choice was it, I reckon most of the duds were signed when there was nobody around on the money both could offer.

Now it is interesting that both have excelled in the Loan Market , OK both had the odd disaster Wayne signed the only Goalkeeper I have ever seen scared of the ball but on the whole I thought he made some good deals in his time . The ones I recall being well upto it include Norris, Ayo, Dunne ,Dath , the lad who went to Wimbledon , Samuels ( looked very good in that 4p mins before disaster struck, Jackoviac and Pask.

In his time John has also managed to get in some vey very good players Yoing Worrell and Maldoon look the latest.

Both of them have been restricted by budgets restraints and it remains an inescapable fact you can't shop in Marks and Spencer's with Poundland money.
I'd say Still has tended to be more miss than hit when it comes to loanees. Matt Ritchie was a different class, Baudry was decent and there were a few others that were ok, but there have been plenty that weren't up to much.
Burnett did manage to be be worse though. Obileye was by far the best, and he didn't look too good in his second spell. Norris was ok. D'Ath wasn't all that, Azeez wasn't very good. Jakubiak was a sprinter, not a footballer. Pask was an ok player, but not what we needed. Dunne looked better than he was by virtue of not being Ferdinand or Boucaud.

The whole first choice thing is garbage. Pretty much every manager at this level can't sign their first choices, because they're playing at better levels. What they have to do is target the right sort of players and build a team. Burnett failed at that miserably.
Batt seemed to be signed up pretty quickly once Burnett bombed out Hoyte, and Nosworthy was signed on the last day of June, which suggests to me that he was high up the list.
I think Burnett got quite a few players that he wanted, the problem was that they weren't good enough.
The Romford Dagger

Adrian wrote:
SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:Both Lee and Arnu's post s fail to appreciate one thing about what turned out duff signings both John and Wayne made over the years. Where any of them their first choice , I very much doubt it

Batt was a disaster for Wayne no doubt about that but that was not his first choice was it, I reckon most of the duds were signed when there was nobody around on the money both could offer.

Now it is interesting that both have excelled in the Loan Market , OK both had the odd disaster Wayne signed the only Goalkeeper I have ever seen scared of the ball but on the whole I thought he made some good deals in his time . The ones I recall being well upto it include Norris, Ayo, Dunne ,Dath , the lad who went to Wimbledon , Samuels ( looked very good in that 4p mins before disaster struck, Jackoviac and Pask.

In his time John has also managed to get in some vey very good players Yoing Worrell and Maldoon look the latest.

Both of them have been restricted by budgets restraints and it remains an inescapable fact you can't shop in Marks and Spencer's with Poundland money.
I'd say Still has tended to be more miss than hit when it comes to loanees. Matt Ritchie was a different class, Baudry was decent and there were a few others that were ok, but there have been plenty that weren't up to much.
Burnett did manage to be be worse though. Obileye was by far the best, and he didn't look too good in his second spell. Norris was ok. D'Ath wasn't all that, Azeez wasn't very good. Jakubiak was a sprinter, not a footballer. Pask was an ok player, but not what we needed. Dunne looked better than he was by virtue of not being Ferdinand or Boucaud.

The whole first choice thing is garbage. Pretty much every manager at this level can't sign their first choices, because they're playing at better levels. What they have to do is target the right sort of players and build a team. Burnett failed at that miserably.
Batt seemed to be signed up pretty quickly once Burnett bombed out Hoyte, and Nosworthy was signed on the last day of June, which suggests to me that he was high up the list.
I think Burnett got quite a few players that he wanted, the problem was that they weren't good enough.
That's incredibly harsh IMO. Norris and jukabiak were both good players just to start with.
Adrian

The Romford Dagger wrote:
Adrian wrote:

That's incredibly harsh IMO. Norris and jukabiak were both good players just to start with.
I said Norris was ok.
Jakubiak was quick but often looked like he didn't have a clue what to do if someone just stood in front.of him.
Grimsweeper

John has been asked to come in and sort out the COMPLETE AND UTTER DOGS DICK BURNETT MADE OF MANAGING THIS FOOTBALL CLUB.

It isn't going to be easy and it may take a little time.

Can I just mention John winning the conference league and getting us promoted to league one just as a bit of balance to the constant harping on about finishing 9th.
ARNU

That's fair enough but this new manager thing aint panning out to well right now either.I see it as Wayne was in charge for 23 games and got 18 points.Average of 0.782 points per game

Still will be in charge for 23 games too,How many points will Still get ? Played 5 now amassing 0.80 points per game. He's on target to get another 13.6 points lets call it 14.We'll go down with 34 points then.
bearaab

You do come across as desperate to dig out Still at every opportunity and then defend yourself.