17 games to go...

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
mickeyblue

id rather the little and large partnership aswell.

stilly style is old school and this used to work a treat back then.

cureton and doidge up top could be a good partnership in this mickey mouse division.

tbh without a long ball we have no creative player to unlock any defense so dont see much choice in a long ball.
our wingers not fit to lace any of our old wingers boots including elito
but we finished 9th!
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:
Yeah Cureton is a ball to feet man ! Hawkins did very well.Hawkins and Doidge for me especially now we're hoofing it.Cureton and chambers wont get a head on anything Sussex and you know it.Pass the ball about Cureton and Chambers all day long.Cousins launched everything up into the wind again yesterday,we all know why or is he mental ?
Yet Wayne spent a lot of this season playing Cureton up front on his own against two 6 foot plus centre halves and still punting the ball up to him. Admittedly after several passes round the back and midfield to make sure that the defence was set up properly first, and then Boucaud playing a short pass back to someone under pressure who launched it anyway. Doidge never seemed to get much of a sniff at playing even though when he did get on he alone looked capable of being a physical target man for the team.

Still's plan is, and always will be, get the ball forward quickly and play in their half. This we are doing. It isn't always pretty, but it can be effective, particularly if we can get the right combination of players doing it.

Will it be enough? No idea, but at least it gives us a better chance than we had in the first half of the season.
Alan

ARNU wrote:
Alan wrote:
ARNU wrote:Well we are all being a little bit pedantic including me.But you cant have it both ways.Waynes team won at Stevenage under Currie and Hackett dosent make it Stills win.In the same breathe you want to blame Waynes players for all our losses.You can see why this is giving me so much fun cant you ?

Anyway.....John Still is bringing back blatant hoofball fact.Now if it works then fine but don't tell me its pretty or that its working yet.We lost again yesterday and all the apologists were bringing out the normal ifs and buts.I remember Stills last 3 seasons before he ****** off and it was very very poor,this display last night was just more of that with a little bit of fight 2nd half.No way will we do that 2 games running.Barnet wont roll over or be undone by hoofball.
In your attempt to avoid admitting you got the statistical analysis all wrong you are making yourself look increasingly foolish, which is an impressive achievement given where you started from. Well done.
I gave Burnett 3 points for the Stevenage game,you want Still to have them.Give them to Still if you want.Dosent alter a lot in terms of how many more points we are going to need.I' ve been to back to back losses and worry a 3rd is coming our way Saturday.
13 + 3= 16, not 18.

And why would you give those 3 points to him but not increase the number of games to 24? If you were giving him credit for games that. He wasn't present for, it's only fair that you give him credit for the 3-0 home defeat to Cambridge).

My approach, giving the Stevenage points to Still rather than Burnett is based on the following:

1. Burnett had left. This was the second game after he left. He had no involvement in training since he left over a week earlier, the selection of the starting 11, the subs, the set up, the tactics, the team talk or anything beyond the fact that he had recruited the players.
2. John Still took training, selected the starting 11, the substitutes, the set up, the tactics and gave the team talk.
ARNU

Alright I got my stats wrong.

Wheres the 30 points gonna come from ? You'd think and hope possibly we might need less. 10 wins in 17 needed weve only had 4 out of the last 29.Cant see how we are gonna do it trying out this new style as well as being useless.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
mickeyblue

our only chance is to beat the clubs around us.
couldnt give a rats arse how we doit we just need to do it.

anyone think we be asked to go in tbs with the drum again.
but we finished 9th!
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:Alright I got my stats wrong.

Wheres the 30 points gonna come from ? You'd think and hope possibly we might need less. 10 wins in 17 needed weve only had 4 out of the last 29.Cant see how we are gonna do it trying out this new style as well as being useless.
I do believe you have finally understood that we kept Burnett on way too long as as a result we need a miracle now.

And to win four out of the next 6 minimum.
ARNU

Mike the Dagger wrote:

I do believe you have finally understood that we kept Burnett on way too long as as a result we need a miracle now.

I was done with Burnett before he went.He maybe in hindsight should have gone earlier but not much.He was given the fairest of chances by me and others,im not ashamed of that.I still feel a bit defensive of him to be honest.You got your new manager and with little under half a season you'd expect 30 points to be do-able after a short settling in period.Im sure if we go down you'll blame it on Burnett,so JS needs to better Waynes points total at least.Ultimately Still will leave again probably jump at the 1st offer he gets while we go down.I have little confidence now that we'll stay up.
Alan

With the benefit of hindsight? You mean that looking back you now see that you and Sussex were wrong and we were right about that as well?
Adrian

ARNU wrote:
Mike the Dagger wrote:

I was done with Burnett before he went.He maybe in hindsight should have gone earlier but not much.He was given the fairest of chances by me and others,im not ashamed of that.I still feel a bit defensive of him to be honest.You got your new manager and with little under half a season you'd expect 30 points to be do-able after a short settling in period.Im sure if we go down you'll blame it on Burnett,so JS needs to better Waynes points total at least.Ultimately Still will leave again probably jump at the 1st offer he gets while we go down.I have little confidence now that we'll stay up.
That it took you and one or two others a lot longer to realise that Burnett wasn't up to the job doesn't mean he wasn't given a fair go by everyone else.
It is kind of funny that you go on about giving him a fair chance but have mentioned elsewhere that you always knew Jones wasn't up to much. Not much consistency there.

Not sure why you now expect 30 points from half a season when you seemed.to have no problems with 13.
ARNU

Alan wrote:With the benefit of hindsight? You mean that looking back you now see that you and Sussex were wrong and we were right about that as well?
Nah ! Definitely not.Burnett was bullied out and not given a chance when he took over,despite rescuing us from Stills last season here and doing pretty well tablewise the following 2 seasons you refuse to give an inch on your opinions.You were wrong most of his time here until maybe mid December when it became clear he was a nervous wreck and not going to ever perform well again,he then had to go.Still can lose all he wants and you will never adopt the same attitude.We conceded to a draw at Newport and have had back to back losses now.Probably another v Barnet Saturday,lets see how quickly your mood changes Alan...oh but hang on you've got the fallback of it all being Burnetts fault.
ARNU

To Adrian.....Jones isn't up to it yet.Dont think theres much disagreement there amongst us.Unless of course you think he is.I can only react to what I've seen and it isnt much.JS took him off at half time quite rightly in my opinion,will he start v Barnet ? Id like to think not,for his sake.Exposing an under experienced teenager to this level of pressure and criticism is unfair on the lad.

As for Burnett...with so many games left I genuinely thought he'd turn it round,we had not really been tonked by anyone until boxing day and the game immediately after he went (Bristol??)He had to go then.We stuck with Still for far worse a period in the past.Still took over with plenty of points to play for,still are.Hopefully he'll pull it round but he needs to get some points now.If only to beat Waynes 13 or whatever you are crediting him with.(Id give WB the Stevenage ones but Im easy)
Alan

You really do tie yourself in knots trying to wriggle out of admitting you are wrong.

Will it be Burnett's fault if we go down? Well, he managed 13 points in 22 games, so that's made it very, very hard for anyone to keep us up. But ultimately it's the fault of the people who kept him in the job for too long.

Is John Still the messiah? No. When he left he left a mess. The last year or so under him were crap and he should have gone the year before. He was playing long ball football without target men and it wasn't working. So you see I'm not his biggest fan and I remember some of the terrible signings and seemingly unstoppable players he had. However, I think that there is more chance of him pulling this around than Burnett.
ARNU

Alan wrote:You really do tie yourself in knots trying to wriggle out of admitting you are wrong.

Will it be Burnett's fault if we go down? Well, he managed 13 points in 22 games, so that's made it very, very hard for anyone to keep us up. But ultimately it's the fault of the people who kept him in the job for too long.

Is John Still the messiah? No. When he left he left a mess. The last year or so under him were crap and he should have gone the year before. He was playing long ball football without target men and it wasn't working. So you see I'm not his biggest fan and I remember some of the terrible signings and seemingly unstoppable players he had. However, I think that there is more chance of him pulling this around than Burnett.
So we don't differ much really Alan.Not wriggling at all,got a few stats wrong and I think 3 points won at Stevenage should be credited to Burnetts players if we're being fair.I thought Burnett should have gone maybe early December but definitely after boxing Day,it was untenable.Not sure when you wanted him out.I disagree with those that said he should have gone while he was interim manager though.He held on with Stills team then finished quite well the following 2 seasons beating all expectations given we were expected to be relegated both seasons.We will never know if he'd have pulled this season round.....but I doubt it now.I also said all along whoever manages Daggers will not find it a walk in the park,you have to give me that at least.
Alan

I thought he should have after Southport, but that he should have gone in the summer when he was out of contract and let somebody build their own squad rather than inherit one. 13 points after 22 games and no home win in 14 home games in all competitions this season under Burnett has put us in the shit.
Mark

Very poor troll attempt this one. We survived on goal diff in his first half year having been safe when he took over.

I expect more arnie.