The Journey Is Nearly Over

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DI Mike Dashwood

It may well become a White Elephant, and the management of things like that will become important, but as far as the last public information on this implied, it is nearly paid for, and is not a huge debt to the Club??

Will it be needed, probably not, but if it doesn't open, and the funding for it is nearly paid off, then it will not cause any extra expense on a day to day basis from now??

I would say you are right though, it will probably only be needed for 5 or 6 games if in the Conference next Year.
NBDag

Think that's utter nonsense Mike- in regards to the last paragraph. (Post before last)

I have seen us narrowly lose to Southampton in League 1 with Oxlade-Chamberlain playing, spank Morecambe 6-0 in a playoff semi infront of 5000-odd fans, we've visited Hillsborough, Fratton Park, St Mary's, Wembley FFS and more. And I doubt no one has ever thought "I wish this was Lincoln" or anything along those lines whilst watching it happen. And if we do go down this year, I'm sure no one will be in the sieve next year thinking "Ah, Hyde. I'm glad we're playing you again".
DI Mike Dashwood

But those days are worn off, the enjoyment of losing to Southampton has worn off. Losing to Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday in front of 20,000 is one thing, not winning a home game all season in front of 1,700 is another, visiting Barnet and losing every season is no fun, getting beat at Accrington in front of 1,500 is not much cop either.

And interesting you use Lincoln as an example. There was a time when playing Lincoln would have been a huge deal for the Club!!! Some people have short memories.
Mike the Dagger

NBDag wrote:Think that's utter nonsense Mike- in regards to the last paragraph. (Post before last)

I have seen us narrowly lose to Southampton in League 1 with Oxlade-Chamberlain playing, spank Morecambe 6-0 in a playoff semi infront of 5000-odd fans, we've visited Hillsborough, Fratton Park, St Mary's, Wembley FFS and more. And I doubt no one has ever thought "I wish this was Lincoln" or anything along those lines whilst watching it happen. And if we do go down this year, I'm sure no one will be in the sieve next year thinking "Ah, Hyde. I'm glad we're playing you again".
We've only ever played Hyde once, in the FA Trophy ;) Battered 5-0 at home.

Lincoln on the other hand are a long time FL team we have only ever met in FA Cup or League Two.

Honestly it'll be fine in the Conference. The world won't end, we'll have some decent games and visit some decent grounds (and a few shocking ones too).
NBDag

Oooh sorry. I'll look forward to Lincoln next year then, and tell any future kids I have the day that I saw Dagenham play them in the conference.

Those days are a long time ago, so why are we not missing those days instead? Going down shouldn't be a blast from the past where people can be glad that Dagenham are in their perceived "natural habitat", but it should be a kick in the balls because a few years ago we were rubbing shoulders with some big teams- whilst holding our own to a certain extent. Have some ambition.
NBDag

Mike the Dagger wrote:
NBDag wrote:Think that's utter nonsense Mike- in regards to the last paragraph. (Post before last)

We've only ever played Hyde once, in the FA Trophy ;) Battered 5-0 at home.

Lincoln on the other hand are a long time FL team we have only ever met in FA Cup or League Two.

Honestly it'll be fine in the Conference. The world won't end, we'll have some decent games and visit some decent grounds (and a few shocking ones too).
Change the teams. See if the point changes.
Mike the Dagger

NBDag wrote:Oooh sorry. I'll look forward to Lincoln next year then, and tell any future kids I have the day that I saw Dagenham play them in the conference.

Those days are a long time ago, so why are we not missing those days instead? Going down shouldn't be a blast from the past where people can be glad that Dagenham are in their perceived "natural habitat", but it should be a kick in the balls because a few years ago we were rubbing shoulders with some big teams- whilst holding our own to a certain extent. Have some ambition.
Where was the lack of ambition? The club should strive to play as high as it can. Having said that, going down is not the end of the world, and well managed could actually be good. Get things back into a state where its not all about survival the whole time and start getting a bit of joy back into playing and watching games.

Has much fun been had at Victoria Road since 2011 really beyond the odd game here and there?
steeevooo

Nobody is saying that we shouldn't miss the days of playing the ilk of Charlton, Southampton, Sheff Weds et al at the same level of the football pyramid - I'm sure we'd all love to be fighting in League One again, giving it a great shot as we did at survival. Realistically however, what factors do Dagenham & Redbridge FC have that make us effectively have the "right" to be playing long-term at that standard as compared to a lot of other teams? We would all love and strive for it, and I don't think you'd find a single person on here to complain if we were to somehow relive that glorious season at that level, but realistically I think the majority realise that, whilst the aspiration is perfectly fine, the reality is somewhat different.

The predominant message of this thread is that if (as is looking increasingly likely) this is the end of this chapter in our journey, then it most definitely is not the end of the world.
ThatRoundThing

Some good postings on this thread which I dare say I am about to ruin.
If we drop to the National League does the current away stand have to become a White Elephant. How many stalwart supporters would look again at it being used for the majority of a new season for Home fans. Beer at Half Time is an obvious advantage to many, some have said in the past that noise carries better in that stand. Maybe making it not so comfy for visiting away fans. Others have always been in the sieve and will be against a move
I am happy enough in the sieve but have used the TBS a few times.
Just wondered if the views of regular sieve supporters would change in anyway, perhaps the club arrange a vote at the end of the season if the worst happens.
I'm not advocating such change but just interested in others views on the subject.
Just chucking it out there for reaction.
mickeyblue

i dont agree that were a non league club at all.

we are a bottom side in league footy for sure along with barnet,wimbledon and a few others but were a bigger and run better than most league sides.

some bad choices have been made in last few seasons thats clear to see.

lets just get into the tbs stand and make some noise for remaining home games like we did a few years back. it helped then, maybe that could help again.
but we finished 9th!
ARNU

Weve had one bad season....THIS ONE !!....the rest we overachieved every year.Given that 22nd has always been the target and relegation the expectation.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Diggerthedog

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:It may well become a White Elephant, and the management of things like that will become important, but as far as the last public information on this implied, it is nearly paid for, and is not a huge debt to the Club??

Will it be needed, probably not, but if it doesn't open, and the funding for it is nearly paid off, then it will not cause any extra expense on a day to day basis from now??

I would say you are right though, it will probably only be needed for 5 or 6 games if in the Conference next Year.
The loan was over 10 years wasn't it? how many years have we had it now? 6-7? The cost of upkeep must be significant.

Hopefully the bar will be made available when not used by away fans, little walk from the sieve to the bar at half time for a pint sounds like a decent idea.
SUSSEX DAGGER

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:It may well become a White Elephant, and the management of things like that will become important, but as far as the last public information on this implied, it is nearly paid for, and is not a huge debt to the Club??

Which in all honesty Mike is only a couple less then the last two seasons.

Bit of gallows humour, surprised Thomo has not marketed it a bit better to be honest, he should have taken a full page advert out in each of our opponents Match Day Programe the game before. Come to Dagenham and get a warm welcome from both the supporters and our very obliging team , nowhere else in the Football League are you certain not to lose
Diggerthedog

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:

Which in all honesty Mike is only a couple less then the last two seasons.

Bit of gallows humour, surprised Thomo has not marketed it a bit better to be honest, he should have taken a full page advert out in each of our opponents Match Day Programe the game before. Come to Dagenham and get a warm welcome from both the supporters and our very obliging team , nowhere else in the Football League are you certain not to lose
Looks like only 4 teams in the current conference that would comfortably bring over 200 (Barking College Stand capacity) none of those will bring over 500. Massive drop in revenue and with home crowds around the 900 mark we may need to go part time.
Mike the Dagger

Diggerthedog wrote:
Looks like only 4 teams in the current conference that would comfortably bring over 200 (Barking College Stand capacity) none of those will bring over 500. Massive drop in revenue and with home crowds around the 900 mark we may need to go part time.
This will help - http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/a ... 86363.aspx