Tonight

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
IanC

So proud of the boys tonight to a man we were awesome,battered em in the 2nd half.No luck whatsoever.Keepers pullef off two worldies,god knows how many times we hit the bar.Great support well done our club,proud to be a dagger!
Ronald Clench

Great game tonight. All 11 played well and deserved. The. Win
Keep playing like this and there is real hope
steeevooo

We really did deserve the win last night, but I refuse to get carried away with all this "hope" stuff - we've been in this position of having one very good performance before, only to follow it up with a couple of weeks of dross. If we can maintain that standard and level, then things could get interesting though.

No argument about our disallowed goal, it looked clearly offside, and how the hell their keeper has saved firstly Doidge's header and then Richards' free kick I don't know. Mind you, if Jon Stead doesn't wallop the ball directly at O'Brien from 6 yards out with the goal gaping in front of him in the first half then we'd have gone one down and probably gone on to lose. It's frustrating that even when York and Hartlepool both get hammered and we put in a really good performance that we still can't get that win to properly close the gap.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Well done to all those who made the effort to go last night , given the circumstances it was a supreme effort.
Regrettably I had no option but to turn around halfway there as my Dad was taken ill and could not make it.

Don't think anyone of us will complain if we go down on the basis of not being good enough, all we have ever asked is that we give it our best shot . Over recent weeks we have seen questionable commitment and desire
something that we obviously showed in spades last night.

If a poor team like Yeovil can do it then there there is no reason why we can't go on a little run and still escape the noose that is around our neck.

Next three games are massive and who knows could completely change the whole complextion.
Dagdale

Just got back and sitting here still can't believe we dropped two crucial points last night, superb all round display by the boys especially second half we gave them a good few gaps to put to their advantage first half thankfully they didn't take it the full distance and we came out second half as if our lives depended on a winning result, how on earth that keeper saved that great diving header from Doidgey was beyond me, the lad couldn't have asked for more. we were hitting the post and crossbar and what really struck me last night every time they seemed to lose the ball they'd reclaim it and straight back on the offensive. Call me a pessimistic git but I still think we've left it to late what happened last night is the story of our season we JUST HAVE NOT BEEN PUTTING IT IN THE NET and its gonna send us down, watching last night I had to keep kicking myself when I looked at the programme table, were they sure these two sides were not in opposite positions? County's fans certainly turned on them around five minutes from end and anybody there could certainly see why, a point to them was a massive bonus. Keep them in that frame of mind on Saturday Johnny mate and surely we can at least fight for credibility and honour.
Lcbdagger

While I'm certainly in the camp that believes we are already down and some positive performances are as important note for next season as points... I can't help thinking after yesterday that we will be going down knowing we had a squad capable of so much more! Nothing yesterday suggested this squad should be in the bottom two come May and it makes some of the early season performances so much harder to fathom
Mark

Whether we stay up or not this squad has serious failings and don't let the odd good performance fool you.

Matches are won and lost in the penalty boxes and good sides have players who can do the business in one or both of these areas.

We have players who are largely scared of physical confrontation, do not anticipate, and who make glaring errors on a regular basis.

We spent a large part of this season watching half arsed performances by people who you would be forgiven for thinking were financially comfortable. Most of this lot need to get used to the reality that next season they will have to get real jobs cos no pro outfit will want them. If they'd played like the mortgage depended on it since August we may very well be ok.

What we have is a large amount of players without the heart or talent to be in this division.

Recently I feel I'm at least watching a team who is trying but you can't get away from the fact that we're plugging huge gaps in quality with 18 year old loan players who are learning on their feet. I can't fault them but some of the senior pros around them need to have a look at themselves. Maybe their mistakes have been due to lack of quality but I can't get away from the notion that each defeat doesn't hurt them enough.

The buck has to stop with burnett who has gradually replaced a squad of honest battlers with a squad of supposed footballers who don't posses the physicality and mentality survive at this level.
Dagdale

Good post and fair comment on our failings this season, what struck me on Stilly's interview that I loved to hear he desperately seeks hungry, ambitious players and who play here have gotta be daggers, never a true word said. Turning to our next, Midfield? Wonder any news on Ollie Muldoon and his progress back he seemed to have had a bad knock, thought Richards was an impressive influence the other night but with Frankie and Luke out which sounds long stay midfield is becoming a melting pot, maybe run Chambers inside again?
Lcbdagger

Can't argue with that at all Mark... the only thing I would say however it's that a few other teams around us have been lucky to a degree with Liam strikers as they have often hit the ground running (Newport/ Yeovil) and scored on their debut.

Don't doubt that the squad has major issues but I'm not certain even the manager would have seen such a drop in form from last season by players like Hemmings or Cotton...

The JC talking half his chances of last year would have us in amongst the bottom five or six with this team, rather than rooted at the bottom.

The likes of Hemmings have been an absolute shadow of last year
Mark

I do agree that some of the losses of form have been startling. There was a period where JC missed a couple of great chances every game, and who knows what is going on with Hemmings. Think he's done better as a wing back though.
Mike the Dagger

Mark wrote:Whether we stay up or not this squad has serious failings and don't let the odd good performance fool you.

Matches are won and lost in the penalty boxes and good sides have players who can do the business in one or both of these areas.

We have players who are largely scared of physical confrontation, do not anticipate, and who make glaring errors on a regular basis.

We spent a large part of this season watching half arsed performances by people who you would be forgiven for thinking were financially comfortable. Most of this lot need to get used to the reality that next season they will have to get real jobs cos no pro outfit will want them. If they'd played like the mortgage depended on it since August we may very well be ok.

What we have is a large amount of players without the heart or talent to be in this division.

Recently I feel I'm at least watching a team who is trying but you can't get away from the fact that we're plugging huge gaps in quality with 18 year old loan players who are learning on their feet. I can't fault them but some of the senior pros around them need to have a look at themselves. Maybe their mistakes have been due to lack of quality but I can't get away from the notion that each defeat doesn't hurt them enough.

The buck has to stop with burnett who has gradually replaced a squad of honest battlers with a squad of supposed footballers who don't posses the physicality and mentality survive at this level.
Applauds!
Diggerthedog

Not surprised the players forms have dropped, you cant get consistency as a player if your in different positions and in and out the teams every other week, Hemmings a prime example, has played left back, left wing back and winger whilst being picked one week and not picked the next.

This is been the problem all season with both managers not knowing their best eleven. Look at Leicester 25 fewer changes than any other team in the premier league. Our promotion from this division was down to picking pretty much the same eleven all season. The Barnet game a few weeks back was diabolical in changes, there really was no need to make so many.

Obviously you allow for injuries and suspensions but every team has to deal with that.
Alan

Mark wrote:Whether we stay up or not this squad has serious failings and don't let the odd good performance fool you.

This.
DI Mike Dashwood

Fair post Mark, BUT, you mention the physical and mental requirements to play at this level, which I would agree with 100%. You say the buck stops with Wayne, YET, the biggest example of this in my opinion (and you and others agreeing with your post have mentioned in other posts/threads) is two untried, inexperienced centre halves bought in by Lord Still of East London??
Mike the Dagger

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:Fair post Mark, BUT, you mention the physical and mental requirements to play at this level, which I would agree with 100%. You say the buck stops with Wayne, YET, the biggest example of this in my opinion (and you and others agreeing with your post have mentioned in other posts/threads) is two untried, inexperienced centre halves bought in by Lord Still of East London??
Agree on with you on Hyam, but would say that Worrell looks strong enough to play in League Two, albeit he does have his moments when he does daft things (see Cambridge away for instance). I'm not sure what Dikamona has done that Hyam plays ahead of him.

Trouble is loanees tend to be either kids, or players looking o get match fit after a knock. Very rare that you get the second of those on a half season loan which appears to be what we were after, or you get in a kid that fits as well as Ayo did from nowhere really last season when he saved Burnett's skin (with dropping Saah and bringing back Doey) - ironically dooming us this season by getting Burnett another contract.