Kitman Bill in the Telegraph

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
rechitski kinzhal

Very nice article. Good to have an up-beat piece on the club.

Is it ever possible for a newspaper or BBC to do something that is correct? First game was away to Sheffield Wednesday, not live on TV ..... I don't recall Plymouth being in League 1 that season.
ARNU

Plymouth were in Lg 1 that season.We'd have finished even lower if they hadn't had 3 points deducted.They were relegated with us.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
SUSSEX DAGGER

ARNU wrote:Plymouth were in Lg 1 that season.We'd have finished even lower if they hadn't had 3 points deducted.They were relegated with us.
Your old mate Tomlin scored his first goal for us in the away game that was on a damp November Tuesday Night Arnu. Always remember it amongst our sparse number we had half a dozen Sailors ,at the time Plymouth had a Ladbrokes betting booth and one of them had £20 on Tomllin to score first goal. None of them knew anything about us and when he enquired as to the merits of his bet the look on his face when we told him he had backed a complete dud was classic . When he asked how many had he scored and we told him none he was completely horrified.

Anyhow about 15 minutes in Tomlin miss hit a volley and it goes in,this poor bloke spends the rest of the first half looking for a betting slip that he has thrown away.

That first half was the finest display we put on away the whole season we were in complete control and there was no way I could see us losing ,alas we did somehow.

The home game we also conspired to lose against ten men . When we looked back at that seasons end and thought where could we have found that point that would have saved us the two games against Plymouth were high on my list
Ilford Dagger

An interesting article, I noticed the Plymouth error as well (typical BBC re the lower Divisions though).Bit of a sarcastic comment after it by 'The unbiased Man', he could have been a bit more gracious for a fine Club servant!
Dagdale

What a great guy and a privilege to have at our little club, I remember 'killing time' browsing outside Portsmouth's main entrance a couple of weeks back and our coach arrived and what struck me there was old Bill right there front seat next to the driver looking so honoured to be bringing our boys in.