25 Mark Arber (Peterborough) FREE
12 Scott Griffiths (Aveley) FREE
7 Sam Saunders (off 88 mins) (Carshalton) FREE
8 Glen Southam (off 81 mins) (Bishop's Sotrtford) FREE
11 Dave Rainford (Bishop's Stortford) FREE
3 Sam Sloma (off 70 mins) (Thurrock) FREE
14 Paul Benson (White Ensign) FREE
18 Ben Strevens (Crawley) FREE

The next time ANYONE uses our 'lack of budget' (A LA BURNETT) as an excuse for not having a team capable of winning a few games should refer back to that line up, the clubs each of those players were signed from and just how little it cost to put together.

This club has NEVER relied on paying out big transfer fees and big wages and probably never will. Yet look what can be achieved when player recruitment is done efficiently.

Not a Kane Ferdinand, Nyron Notsoworthy or George Porter in sight!
Adrian

Southam cost us a fee and Arber was only on loan at that point, but you're still right that the stuff around lack of budget is rubbish.

That lot were a team. What we've had for most of this year isn't.
DI Mike Dashwood

While I agree with the sentiment of the posts, I am not sure that transfer fees are the sole part of a budget??

Just as an example. Player A from the side listed below MAY have been on 2k a week. Player B (his equivalent) in the current side MAY be on 500 a week. Difference of 1.5k a week. Difference over a 2 year contract..............156k!!!!

Most Clubs at this level, even those with money, don't spend it on transfer fees. It is ongoing expenses (contracts) which cost Clubs money, the same as ongoing commitments cause most businesses financial issues.

As I say, not disagreeing with the sentiments, but not sure what the transfer fees prove.
TomMc

Adrian wrote:Southam cost us a fee and Arber was only on loan at that point, but you're still right that the stuff around lack of budget is rubbish.

That lot were a team. What we've had for most of this year isn't.
Southam was our record transfer fee at the time, fairly sure we paid nominal fees for Sloma and Rainford too.

As Dashers says, transfer fees aren't the biggest outlay at this level anyway.
admin
Site Admin

The point of Dagger4eva's post is spot on. All I've heard all season is "low playing budget". There's a number of things that doesn't excuse
dagger4eva

OK so even if we did pay a couple of paltry, nominal sums for 3 of those players my main point was about the overall playing budget (including wages)

I'm fairly sure that 9 yrs ago, that squad of players would have earned average to below average in comparison to the rest of players in the league. I think Scotty G for example was on something hideous like £250 p/w.

We've never paid highly - never will. But the club is or at least used to be just about the best 'shop window' in the entire country for a player wishing to progress.

Sign the right players with a hunger and desire to succeed and eventually better their careers then anything is possible.

So my point still stands. Budgets don't win you football matches.

Leicester
Bournemouth
Accrington - all alone are proving that this season!
ARNU

dagger4eva wrote:1 Tony Roberts (GK) (St Albans) FREE
19 Danny Foster (Spurs) FREE
15 Anwar Uddin (Bristol Rovers) FREE

The next time ANYONE uses our 'lack of budget' (A LA BURNETT) as an excuse for not having a team capable of winning a few games should refer back to that line up, the clubs each of those players were signed from and just how little it cost to put together.

This club has NEVER relied on paying out big transfer fees and big wages and probably never will. Yet look what can be achieved when player recruitment is done efficiently.

. One small detail you missed........That team finished 22nd at its 1st attempt at lg 2. Exciting though it was most of them really weren't 1st choices for very long after. I do take your point though.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
ARNU

Oh and are you saying Johnny Hoof has never wheeled out the low budget excuse ? After just about every defeat he ever had he manages to slip that in.
Adrian

ARNU wrote:
dagger4eva wrote:1 Tony Roberts (GK) (St Albans) FREE
19 Danny Foster (Spurs) FREE
15 Anwar Uddin (Bristol Rovers) FREE

. One small detail you missed........That team finished 22nd at its 1st attempt at lg 2. Exciting though it was most of them really weren't 1st choices for very long after. I do take your point though.
They finished 20th and 7 points clear of relegation.
Only Uddin, Rainford and Sloma really stopped being choice. 5 went on to play higher up.
ARNU

Of the seasons we've been in lg1 and 2 we spent a lot of it struggling at the bottom end and with supposedly better players.teams with the above mentioned had some dreary seasons too. Even Wayne had a shocker this season, and he once finished 9th with 60 points.
TommyD&R

ARNU wrote:Even Wayne had a shocker this season, and he once finished 9th with 60 points.
Legend