Benno

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

BarkingRambo wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:Not sure we can afford him, was reportedly on £4k a week when he went to Charlton now plays for Luton who probably dont pay less than £2k a week. So unless he was willing to drop in wage even further cant see it happening.
I agree I'm worried what kind of wages he might want. Then again he knows the score here and what kind of wages he might be offered so if he has said he would come back then he must know he will be on what £500 - £700 ish a week and is happy with that.
Judging by that interview I would say Still has already had a word, we have seriously lacked goals this year and the more strikers the merrier.
ARNU

The Romford Dagger wrote:
ARNU wrote:That's progress....why not ring up Arbs,Gainy and Danny Green,Maybe Solomon Taiwo and Robbo can play after they finish their milkround,then we can knock down the TBS and make it open to the weather and standing only.If only Terry Harris would come back LOL!!!
So you moan about our players but then laugh at going back to a bunch of players that were far more successful for us.

Now that's a LOL!!!
Im not moaning about our players,I haven't really caned any of them this season.(Jones was forgettable)

But if you think an aged Benson who was shit every time hes played against us since leaving(Apart from the Charlton game) will be the answer then you are having a giggle.Benno's hayday was 7 years ago getting us into lg 1.How old is he ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
ARNU

He aint pulled up any trees at luton or anywhere else has he,he'll be lucky to get another season in Lg 2.Bad bad move,it'll be worse than this season.Costas are recruiting for more than hes worth now and I love the bloke by the way.Please don't bring back any of them "Once weres",it'll just make it harder for us to ever compete again.Silly silly idea.Adrian...really..come on mate you know im right.

We need to think long term....

Something we never do.
leewilson

ARNU wrote:He aint pulled up any trees at luton or anywhere else has he,he'll be lucky to get another season in Lg 2.Bad bad move,it'll be worse than this season.Costas are recruiting for more than hes worth now and I love the bloke by the way.Please don't bring back any of them "Once weres",it'll just make it harder for us to ever compete again.Silly silly idea.Adrian...really..come on mate you know im right.

Something we never do.
He won't get another football league club at the age of 36 and having scored 5 goals in two seasons in League 2 for Luton.

However, he did get 17 for them in their Conference winning season. If we sort out our midfield and supply line, then I think he could still do a job for us. That along with all the 'he's a Dagger' argument makes it worth considering definitely.
Lcbdagger

Would certainly have him back for one season, if only to get some of the crowd going again at Home when he plays... injuries suggest he wouldn't play much but he could certainly do a job with a younger guy to play off of.

Very surprised if we have JC here next season
ARNU

leewilson wrote:
ARNU wrote:He aint pulled up any trees at luton or anywhere else has he,he'll be lucky to get another season in Lg 2.Bad bad move,it'll be worse than this season.Costas are recruiting for more than hes worth now and I love the bloke by the way.Please don't bring back any of them "Once weres",it'll just make it harder for us to ever compete again.Silly silly idea.Adrian...really..come on mate you know im right.

Something we never do.
He won't get another football league club at the age of 36 and having scored 5 goals in two seasons in League 2 for Luton.

However, he did get 17 for them in their Conference winning season. If we sort out our midfield and supply line, then I think he could still do a job for us. That along with all the 'he's a Dagger' argument makes it worth considering definitely.
3 seasons back mate.Are conference keepers and defences such tnucs that he'll get 15 goals next season ? I doubt it,its a tough league.
I said already he would do a job, but where is the forward planning here.At least WB tried to do something different,and although it upsets people it worked for 2 seasons finishing place wise, though it was hard to watch.We are just happy to plod along existing,surely we want to see some ambition ?
Adrian

Something we never do.
You asked if anyone who's returned has been better or the same after returning.
The people I listed were all as good if not better after their returns.

I'd have Benson back. He know's how Still works and can help younger players develop. I wouldn't expect him to be the same as he was before he left, but I'd also expect his role to be different - more along the likes of Jon Taylor when Still first returned as we had the likes or Chris Moore and Mackail-Smith that needed an old head around them.
leewilson

Adrian wrote:

Something we never do.
You asked if anyone who's returned has been better or the same after returning.
The people I listed were all as good if not better after their returns.

I'd have Benson back. He know's how Still works and can help younger players develop. I wouldn't expect him to be the same as he was before he left, but I'd also expect his role to be different - more along the likes of Jon Taylor when Still first returned as we had the likes or Chris Moore and Mackail-Smith that needed an old head around them.
Your argument only counts if you include an example that Arnu's heard of.
leewilson

ARNU wrote:
leewilson wrote:

Something we never do.

3 seasons back mate.Are conference keepers and defences such tnucs that he'll get 15 goals next season ? I doubt it,its a tough league.
I said already he would do a job, but where is the forward planning here.At least WB tried to do something different,and although it upsets people it worked for 2 seasons finishing place wise, though it was hard to watch.We are just happy to plod along existing,surely we want to see some ambition ?
What, revert to bringing in players who have been around multiple clubs in the Football League with little ambition as opposed to looking for hungry young players that had previously earned us two promotions?

He bought well going forward in his first season with Hines and Murphy to compliment the likes of Doe/Ogogo that were already here and established. As soon as he had to replace these key figures though, he failed miserably. Something you can't say for Still who excelled numerous times when having to replace players who had moved on to clubs in higher leagues.
ARNU

History will just show the league placings. The thrust of my point is that when things go bad Daggers revert to nostalgia . Even though I acknowledged Benno would do a job here and I agree with you he'd probably be a good mentor to the youngsters, some on here really think this move would be a sign of ambition and progress. I thought Stilly wanted young and hungry players. He has a few now. I haven't seen any lack of effort whether JS or WB were in charge just poor systems and 2 managers devoid of any clue how to get a win with this squad. Bringing back has beens is not progress. Which players are actually shit and not trying ? Didn't someone suggest arbor as manager too ? All mad !
Adrian

ARNU wrote:History will just show the league placings. The thrust of my point is that when things go bad Daggers revert to nostalgia . Even though I acknowledged Benno would do a job here and I agree with you he'd probably be a good mentor to the youngsters, some on here really think this move would be a sign of ambition and progress. I thought Stilly wanted young and hungry players. He has a few now. I haven't seen any lack of effort whether JS or WB were in charge just poor systems and 2 managers devoid of any clue how to get a win with this squad. Bringing back has beens is not progress. Which players are actually shit and not trying ? Didn't someone suggest arbor as manager too ? All mad !
Bringing in someone who could help improve younger players improve would be a sign of ambition and progress. It shows ambition to develop younger players (something that served us well in the past and was destroyed by Burnett), and progress in having the right sort of player around to make that happen.

Still does want young hungry players. He's also a little bit more clued up than you are, so knows that he also needs some experience around them.
When he had to rebuild our squad when he first came back he had loads of young players, but also the likes of Jon Taylor, Lee Flynn and Jake Leberl .
When he had to rebuild a bit when Foster/Saunders/Strevens/Okounghae moved one, he brought in young players but had the likes of Gain and Arber around them.
The Romford Dagger

ARNU wrote:
The Romford Dagger wrote:
ARNU wrote:That's progress....why not ring up Arbs,Gainy and Danny Green,Maybe Solomon Taiwo and Robbo can play after they finish their milkround,then we can knock down the TBS and make it open to the weather and standing only.If only Terry Harris would come back LOL!!!
So you moan about our players but then laugh at going back to a bunch of players that were far more successful for us.

Now that's a LOL!!!
Im not moaning about our players,I haven't really caned any of them this season.(Jones was forgettable)

But if you think an aged Benson who was shit every time hes played against us since leaving(Apart from the Charlton game) will be the answer then you are having a giggle.Benno's hayday was 7 years ago getting us into lg 1.How old is he ?
You've repeatedly said stuff like 'let's face it, we just aren't good enough'.
ARNU

Despite being more clued up than me he didn't finish any higher than I could of. Funny thing is Still gets a pass cos of nostalgia again. It has been truly shit since he came back apart from Hacketts win at Stevenage and the new manager bounce at Exeter. How is it Waynes a tnuc but still gets a pat on the back for actual relegation? Benno ain't the answer and it will be decades before we return with backwards thinking like that.
Adrian

ARNU wrote:Despite being more clued up than me he didn't finish any higher than I could of. Funny thing is Still gets a pass cos of nostalgia again. It has been truly shit since he came back apart from Hacketts win at Stevenage and the new manager bounce at Exeter. How is it Waynes a tnuc but still gets a pat on the back for actual relegation? Benno ain't the answer and it will be decades before we return with backwards thinking like that.
Still isn't getting a pat on the back for relegation. He gets a pass for the same reason that Burnett got a pass when he took a team from mid-table obscurity to only staying up on goal difference - something about the players not being his.
Funny thing is that after all the "Wait until it's his team" stuff, the minute we no longer had a player signed by Still it didn't half get very shit, very quick.

Out of interest when did you manage a team to the Conference title, or a play-off win?
ARNU

To Romford Dagger. We aren't good enough or we wouldn't be celebrating relegation this time tomorrow. Not good enough isn't a criticism . If I fight Tyson Fury I would be trying with all my might to stove his head in as I hate the idiot. I have to accept if I fought him I would not be good enough to beat him. I haven't seen any lack of effort. I blame the manager.