Any idea?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
TheLion

When would Josh 's contract have ended if he had not left by mutual consent?

And why has Wayne started getting everyone back in our penalty box when the opposition get a corner

On the positive front, good to see Lewy coming out for a few crosses.
Daggers No 2 Fan

End of the season, I think for Josh.

Players back from corners - probably because we weren't defending them well and kept conceding.

Lewy coming for crosses - he has done all season.
ARNU

TheLion wrote:
And why has Wayne started getting everyone back in our penalty box when the opposition get a corner
What even Murphy,I thought you wanted him goal hanging up the other end. :lol:
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
TheLion

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:End of the season, I think for Josh.

Players back from corners - probably because we weren't defending them well and kept conceding.

When I said coming for crosses I automatically included balls into our box from corners and free kicks, as well as balls into the box from open play.

We must have been going to different matches, as my recollection on many of our goals conceded from set pieces as been Lewy rooted to his line.

As for getting everyone back for corners, I have to question the use of someone like Zavon in those situations? Surely if the opposition saw him standing up the pitch when they have a corner, it would restrict their numbers going up for the corners and give us an out ball if we gain possession.
Daggers No 2 Fan

TheLion wrote:
Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:End of the season, I think for Josh.

When I said coming for crosses I automatically included balls into our box from corners and free kicks, as well as balls into the box from open play.

We must have been going to different matches, as my recollection on many of our goals conceded from set pieces as been Lewy rooted to his line.

As for getting everyone back for corners, I have to question the use of someone like Zavon in those situations? Surely if the opposition saw him standing up the pitch when they have a corner, it would restrict their numbers going up for the corners and give us an out ball if we gain possession.
I also included corners and free kicks. He comes for the ones that he can more often than not. He will get some wrong, but all keepers do. Being rooted to his line when we have conceded doesn't mean he should have come for them.

I'd question leaving a player up when we keep conceding from corners, and when it's very rare that we win possession and even rarer that we get the ball anywhere near the player left up.
It's fine when corners are being defended well, but they weren't.
Mike the Dagger

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
I'd question leaving a player up when we keep conceding from corners, and when it's very rare that we win possession and even rarer that we get the ball anywhere near the player left up.
It's fine when corners are being defended well, but they weren't.
Arguably though, by leaving one, or maybe even two out, you reduce the crowd scene in the area and therefore give the goalkeeper a better chance of taking charge of things, as the opposition will automatically pull enough players back to outnumber the attackers left out.

Leaving two up gives you a better chance of finding someone with a quick clearance too and getting a decent break going.

Just a thought!
bearaab

Pack the box, less chance or a clean strike, more chance of blocking the ball.
ThatRoundThing

I'm with Mike on this one. Wayne seemed to favour leaving one up for the early part of the season whereas John Still pulled everyone back.
I'd leave Zav up which would probably take two opposition defenders with him and my opinion is that he has the footballing brain and pace if needed to decide where to take or distribute the ball.
I would make sure we defended both posts and I would have thought that if 9 + keeper can't stop them from scoring then 1 extra body around the box shouldn't make much difference.
I suppose it is managers and coaches preference, some bring all back some don't.
Mark

On football manager the other day I left Dom Green up from a corner and he broke away and scored.

Therefore we should get him back and leave him up at corners.
Ilford Dagger

I maintained for years that under JS when we pulled everyone back it was totally negative, as I have always said if you leave 1 up they will leave 2 back etc etc. Pulling all 11 back is a negative gesture I would say, possibly only justified when we are defending a lead late on or a draw.
Daggers No 2 Fan

I'd say it is all about suiting the circumstances, but the first goal objective when defending a corner is to defend it, not the possibility of a counter attack.
We used to have 11 back for corners and rarely conceded or even looked like conceding. We start leaving a player up and start conceding or looking a lot more likely to concede. It probably isn't coincidence.
ARNU

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:I'd say it is all about suiting the circumstances, but the first goal objective when defending a corner is to defend it, not the possibility of a counter attack.
We used to have 11 back for corners and rarely conceded or even looked like conceding. We start leaving a player up and start conceding or looking a lot more likely to concede. It probably isn't coincidence.
Make yer mind up.You were defending Murphy for not tracking back the other day.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Richie

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:I'd say it is all about suiting the circumstances, but the first goal objective when defending a corner is to defend it, not the possibility of a counter attack.
Agreed. All 11 back for me.
bearaab

Mark wrote:On football manager the other day I left Dom Green up from a corner and he broke away and scored.

Therefore we should get him back and leave him up at corners.
This is the only post that makes sense.