On This Day

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Alan

To be fair, results did improve - first half season 13 points, second half of season 21 points. Still not good enough though.

I've said before, the job should have been advertised and the last few years before Still left were dreadful. But I quite understand why the board went for somebody they know and think can work with our set up.
Auntie Merge

Alan wrote:To be fair, results did improve - first half season 13 points, second half of season 21 points. Still not good enough though.

I've said before, the job should have been advertised and the last few years before Still left were dreadful. But I quite understand why the board went for somebody they know and think can work with our set up.
I would have like the job to be advertised too. But I also believe that if John couldn't keep us up, no one else could.
stanton101

It's a matter of opinions at the end of the day. Some say performances got better, me personally I don't think they did and on the very rare occasion we did start brightly, ie Newport, the manager got his tactics staggeringly wrong, but we are where we are and that's that. As for the board turning to an old face to help dig us out of the mire, does this mean we'll be going back in for Wayne this time next year when hoofy retires. :D
steeevooo

Just a quick question stanton101 - regardless of the merits of his appointment or anything else, you say that you do hope that JS does well etc... but what would you class in the coming season as "doing well"? That way we have something to gauge your expectations against...
ARNU

How we can say where we'll finish next season without even knowing who is going to be playing I will never know.The only thing you can base any position on is Name of Club. Barrow sounds shitter than Dagenham.Tranmere sounds shitter than Solihull Moors.Ridiculous.Joke is,people are already predicting finishing positions and demanding them.Arrogance deserves disaster.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
stanton101

steeevooo wrote:Just a quick question stanton101 - regardless of the merits of his appointment or anything else, you say that you do hope that JS does well etc... but what would you class in the coming season as "doing well"? That way we have something to gauge your expectations against...
Honestly, a mid to top half finish would do me. Given the size of the job he has anything else would be a bonus. I don't see as someone suggested that we will be considered as one of the big guns in this league, I see us as a small club with a mediocre manager with a new squad of players and that's it. I don't expect us for one minute to storm the league be promoted by February and Hawkins to score 25+. What I do expect is to see some half decent performances, 100% commitment and to go home on a Saturday with a smile on my face, something that I haven't managed much in the last year. Oh and to occasionally keep the poxy ball on the deck, if I wanted rugby I'd be off to harlequins!
Will I get it? Doubtful imho, I think JS has had his day, and yes I do hope I'm proved wrong, I've eaten my fair share of humble pie in the past and I'd gladly eat it again. This time next year I want the club to have the foundation to mount a serious promotion push in the following seasons and not to be making the numbers up. It won't happen overnight, this league is no cake walk.
steeevooo

ARNU wrote:How we can say where we'll finish next season without even knowing who is going to be playing I will never know.The only thing you can base any position on is Name of Club. Barrow sounds shitter than Dagenham.Tranmere sounds shitter than Solihull Moors.Ridiculous.Joke is,people are already predicting finishing positions and demanding them.Arrogance deserves disaster.
I wasn't asking for a prediction of a finishing position in the league - just what would be considered as "doing well". Thankfully Stanton understood that my question goes beneath a mere finishing position, and that "doing well" is not wholly linked to a specific final league position.

Stanton - thanks for that - to be honest I don't think that your expectations are actually that different from a lot of us in terms of what you want to see, just that the personnel charged with providing that to us provoke differing opinions. Lets hope that, regardless of the personnel, our expectations are met, and that we can all provide the necessary support to the team.
stanton101

As an afterthought I remember what Whitehawk did to us at our ground, I know it was the FA Cup and extra percentages can be found in players when the prize is a big one. But they kept the ball on the floor for the majority of that match and absolutely battered us and thoroughly deserved that replay. We'll never be a Barca or a Madrid and yes the odd hoof is fine, but it just goes to show what a little club can do with what's at it's disposal. It can be done.
Diggerthedog

stanton101 wrote:As an afterthought I remember what Whitehawk did to us at our ground, I know it was the FA Cup and extra percentages can be found in players when the prize is a big one. But they kept the ball on the floor for the majority of that match and absolutely battered us and thoroughly deserved that replay. We'll never be a Barca or a Madrid and yes the odd hoof is fine, but it just goes to show what a little club can do with what's at it's disposal. It can be done.
Whitehawk have a bigger budget than us and are bankrolled by a multi millionaire, little club yes little budget no.

Not sure if you are being serious with your posts or trolling now, Still might not be your cup of tea but to call him mediocre for this level is a joke his record speaks for itself. Leicester won the league playing exactly the same way.
ARNU

My apologies Stevooo. I got the wrong end of the stick as they say.
I think Stanton covered the answer very well. We want effort a few wins and a top half finish. It has been grim for many seasons now even the 9th place finish was a season of largely unentertaining football. I think we might well struggle again but I'm renewing my ST this week so I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.
stanton101

Diggerthedog wrote:
stanton101 wrote:As an afterthought I remember what Whitehawk did to us at our ground, I know it was the FA Cup and extra percentages can be found in players when the prize is a big one. But they kept the ball on the floor for the majority of that match and absolutely battered us and thoroughly deserved that replay. We'll never be a Barca or a Madrid and yes the odd hoof is fine, but it just goes to show what a little club can do with what's at it's disposal. It can be done.
Whitehawk have a bigger budget than us and are bankrolled by a multi millionaire, little club yes little budget no.

Not sure if you are being serious with your posts or trolling now, Still might not be your cup of tea but to call him mediocre for this level is a joke his record speaks for itself. Leicester won the league playing exactly the same way.
Now whose trolling.
ARNU

We dropped out the league, Leicester won the prem. I'd suggest daggers and John still did nothing the same way.
stanton101

They might also have had a mahrez, a kante or a drinkwater amongst their ranks to help them keep the round thing on the floor when the odd hoof over the top to vardy didn't work out.
Diggerthedog

No surprise that both the West Ham trolls no nothing about football.
Kevin

stanton101 wrote:As an afterthought I remember what Whitehawk did to us at our ground, I know it was the FA Cup and extra percentages can be found in players when the prize is a big one. But they kept the ball on the floor for the majority of that match and absolutely battered us and thoroughly deserved that replay..
I remember very well what Whitehawk did to us at our ground.

They played very effective aerial balls throughout the entire 90mins, putting our weak defence & non-tackling midfield under pressure for the whole match.

Whitehawk thoroughly deserved to actually win on the day - let alone get a replay - all by playing effective direct football to players physically strong enough to handle it.