posh

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
matt_drfc

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
rechitski kinzhal wrote:I support the wrong club.
Sorry my comments were a bit harsh and would like to retract them as they could be misinterpreted as an insult. Can I please assure you this was not my intention its just a case of what my dear old mum would say if you don't like my apples don't shake me tree and nothing else.

Interesting tho, I wonder if our continued transfer policy could end up driving People away.
It wouldn't surprise me, I will continue going after he is sold, but if we aren't playing well, I will certainly rethink it.
bearaab

Didn't Rene Howe just get released?
Mike the Dagger

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
Sorry my comments were a bit harsh and would like to retract them as they could be misinterpreted as an insult. Can I please assure you this was not my intention its just a case of what my dear old mum would say if you don't like my apples don't shake me tree and nothing else.

Interesting tho, I wonder if our continued transfer policy could end up driving People away.
TBH I think we all know that we are a selling club and the policy of being a shop window for players is what we have done, certainly since John Still took over, and in the main its worked brilliantly for us.

However I think we need to be a bit smarter about the deals we cut and the timing of them. Dwight Gayle was sold to the first real bidder for a song really, and then Posh made a fortune selling him on months later - OK we got a part of that, but if Dwight had scored another 15 to 20 goals for us in League Two, what might we have got for him in the Summer... and what might those goals have done for our season?

Here we are right now struggling to score at all, four goals since the start of December, and contemplating selling the man who is 2nd top goalscorer in League Two when we are probably six wins from being safe and allegedly OK for cash. If Murphy goes now, we must make sure it is a deal that works for the club, ie. is silly money. if not, lets explain it to him, and get him concentrating on scoring another 12 goals in the rest of the season and then moving on in the Summer as a proven 20+ goal a year striker, and us safely in the Football league for another season.
dagger4eva

Sussex,

I was going to say I think that post was a bit harsh. Remember the feelings after the ex manager told a loyal supporter not to come if he didnt like it after one of our away games. You pretty much did the same there - good you took it back though.

In anwer to your question, I do believe (rightly or wrongly) people will decide to stay along whilst we a) continue to flog our best player or one of every January and b) results arent going away. Were down to between 1400-1600 as it is.

I don't believe we NEED to sell but if the offer is too good to refuse (I very much doubt it is that high at this precise moment) then as alwaysthe club will stick to its policy of not standing in the players way.
More than anything, I'm just more cheesed off it ALWAYS seems to be Peterborough.

Perhaps we could do a deal with them for the cash now, but with him re-loaned straight back to us until the end of the season. Oh, and with us actually sticking to that and not letting him toddle off there anyway after a couple of weeks.
matt_drfc

bearaab wrote:Didn't Rene Howe just get released?
Signed for Newport shortly after
Dagger83

I can understand people being annoyed at selling our best players each year (assuming all this is true) but what I don't get is the hatred towards Posh. Surely it's better for them to go to a club like Posh who a) play these youngsters and give them a chance to shine and b) hold out for silly money transfers when they move on?

We've done brilliantly out of them in the past and this could be another £x hundred thousand pound to add to the total.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you I say. Whilst our gates are poor, we'll always have to sell (not saying we should or shouldn't sell now mind).
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
leewilson

Pathetic Dagenham. Absolutely pathetic.
bearaab

matt_drfc wrote:
bearaab wrote:Didn't Rene Howe just get released?
Signed for Newport shortly after
Bad times.

Any of our former strikers that are past it without a club
dagger4eva

Teddy Sheringham was at our ground the other week, albeit watching his son. Perhaps we could lure him out of retirement.

I reckon a grand a week plus an all you can eat voucher for the eastbrook pie and mash would seal the deal
Dagdale

I hope reading all this coming in from work tonight is one bad dream, Rhys already presumedly leaving our Daggers? Why ? I'm beat for words, I know IT will happen one day and fully understand a player needs to raise his game and financial rewards at his prime, but come on he hasn't been here that long and surely at least see out a season or two. I'm going back to work!
NickMurphy

Have we almost set a precedent for ourselves with the Gayle did as well I wonder? How much did he originally go for? £700K or lower? If we accepted that for someone that was a top talent in League Two and probably rated higher than Murphy is now by those in leagues above, then we've effectively cornered ourselves haven't we? I can't imagine the money for Murphy is anything above £300K if that in all honestly, and the fact we've accepted it half way through a season when we pretty clearly don't need to ridiculous. And given that we've eased the wage bill considerably in the past couple of months, surely there's little need to sell right now anyway.
dagger4eva

Initial fee for Gayle was just shy of 500k l think.
Dagger83

Didn't we do well by selling Gayle though. I don't know the numbers but I'd be surprised if we'd beaten the £1.5m we got if we'd kept hold of him and sold him at the end of the season. He only went for the amount he did as he'd proven himself in the Championship. A top League 2 striker will rarely go for anything approaching that.

Look how much Nahki Wells went for and Bradford have a bit more clout than us. I think selling Gayle when we did was probably the best deal we could have reasonably got.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
NickMurphy

Dagger83 wrote:Didn't we do well by selling Gayle though. I don't know the numbers but I'd be surprised if we'd beaten the £1.5m we got if we'd kept hold of him and sold him at the end of the season. He only went for the amount he did as he'd proven himself in the Championship. A top League 2 striker will rarely go for anything approaching that.

Look how much Nahki Wells went for and Bradford have a bit more clout than us. I think selling Gayle when we did was probably the best deal we could have reasonably got.
I suppose. Just a thought anyway.
matt_drfc

Sent an email to Steve Thompson. It's my thoughts, so some will probably disagree, but anyway here it is..

Hi Steve,

Of course you can't tell me anything, nor do I want you to. This is just an email to tell you about my thoughts on Murphy and more. Read if you wish.

The Dwight Gayle transfer was fair enough, we needed to sell and we understand that. But after the sale of him and the sell-on fee we received, we was told we don't NEED to sell and we were in a good position financially. Now, we have released 4 strikers during this season, all of which I agree with, but that released a fair few quid and we have only signed 1 player in Dickson. So this tells us there should still be money left unless Dickson is on nearly £2000 a week, which I highly doubt.

So if we don't NEED to sell, there is no reason why Rhys Murphy should be going now. We saw the effect of selling our best striker last season, we went from mid-table to staying up on goal-difference. I have no doubt this will happen again. There's people saying if we get £500k for example then it's acceptable, but US, THE FANS, see no benefit of this money other than a resurfacing of the car park. We never spend a penny in transfer fees and always sell our best players. I understand we don't get in the way of players moving on and that's a big selling point in regards to players coming here. But if like you said we don't NEED to sell then we can say no to Peterborough and we can end up having a relatively good season, if Rhys scores 20/25 goals this season and a good offer comes then so be it, he will have just a year left on his contract, so that's fair enough if he went.

We currently have 2 strikers, 1 who is very inexperienced (Obafemi) and 1 who is Wayne's mate and simply not good enough (Dickson). If there isn't a like for like replacement for Murphy lined up then our season is finished. If we just keep selling our best players mid-season we will never compete, you just get our hopes up and then let us down when Darragh MacAnthony and his cheque book come calling.

I know you have done a fantastic job for this club over the years, but if we continue to sell our best players, even when you say a few months previous that we don't need to, we will be battling relegation season after season. Maybe I'm supporting the wrong club, who knows. But all we ask for is a bit of ambition and a bit of bottle. Our manager is showing his ambition but is the Board? If we don't need to sell, then don't! Oh and we are being faithful to Bromley and Bradley Goldberg, but do you think a bigger club would do that for us? No chance. How about we stop being such a nice club and put our foot down, get Goldberg back off loan, say no to Peterborough and aim for a bit more. But you know that even if we get thumped week in, week out, us mugs will continue to support.