posh

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Its a business.Get a player in for nothing flog him for half a million.Simples. I reckon we'd get a fair few bob for the leagues top scorer (alright 2nd top right now).Shame for us but we're used to it aint we ? Good luck to the boy,done us proud and duly gets his reward.Thats the deal isn't it.We'll get another couple in Id imagine.I'd imagine there'd be add-ons and it will secure us for another season or two.We cant be making much money with 1600 crowds can we?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Daggers No 2 Fan

You keep going on about not seeing any benefit from the fees received. I might be missing something, but isn't there one massive benefit that you seem to be missing?
The one of having a football club that is playing in the Football League.

There also seems to be some misunderstanding of what "need" means. Just because someone doesn't need to do something doesn't mean they shouldn't do it if the opportunity is there in the right circumstances.

I'm not sure that releasing Reed, Woodall and Scott will have released much in the way of funds. They were all under contract so I'd be surprised if they've not received some sort of pay off to go early, probably more so Reed given when he went.
Daggers No 2 Fan

ARNU wrote:Its a business.Get a player in for nothing flog him for half a million.Simples. I reckon we'd get a fair few bob for the leagues top scorer (alright 2nd top right now).Shame for us but we're used to it aint we ? Good luck to the boy,done us proud and duly gets his reward.Thats the deal isn't it.We'll get another couple in Id imagine.I'd imagine there'd be add-ons and it will secure us for another season or two.We cant be making much money with 1600 crowds can we?
Just to leave you completely and utterly gobsmacked, I don't think I could agree with this much more than I do. The amounts might be a little optimistic.
It says something when one of the most sensible posts in a thread is by arnu ;-) I'm off for a lay down.
matt_drfc

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:You keep going on about not seeing any benefit from the fees received. I might be missing something, but isn't there one massive benefit that you seem to be missing?

There also seems to be some misunderstanding of what "need" means. Just because someone doesn't need to do something doesn't mean they shouldn't do it if the opportunity is there in the right circumstances.

I'm not sure that releasing Reed, Woodall and Scott will have released much in the way of funds. They were all under contract so I'd be surprised if they've not received some sort of pay off to go early, probably more so Reed given when he went.
The Dwight Gayle sale kept us in the football league financially, and I said I understand that.

Can't see how selling Murphy now will benefit the club tbh. So because we don't need to, I don't think we should.

Reed was on about £300 a week and Scott and Woodall £600 each so it would have released a fair quid in the long run.
Daggers No 2 Fan

matt_drfc wrote:
Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:You keep going on about not seeing any benefit from the fees received. I might be missing something, but isn't there one massive benefit that you seem to be missing?

The Dwight Gayle sale kept us in the football league financially, and I said I understand that.

Can't see how selling Murphy now will benefit the club tbh. So because we don't need to, I don't think we should.

Reed was on about £300 a week and Scott and Woodall £600 each so it would have released a fair quid in the long run.
The Gayle money will only last so long. We've needed transfer fees to keep us where we are pretty much since we got into the FL. There is no guarantee that we'll be able to sell another player in the future, so we have to take the opportunities when they're there. Obviously this is only the case if the deal is right.

We won't have saved anything like their full weekly wage to get them to go early. It won't have saved much, and having to pay it in a lump rather than monthly also has an impact.
matt_drfc

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
matt_drfc wrote:

The Gayle money will only last so long. We've needed transfer fees to keep us where we are pretty much since we got into the FL. There is no guarantee that we'll be able to sell another player in the future, so we have to take the opportunities when they're there. Obviously this is only the case if the deal is right.

We won't have saved anything like their full weekly wage to get them to go early. It won't have saved much, and having to pay it in a lump rather than monthly also has an impact.
Burnett has said releasing them has freed up some money so it's must be a decent amount otherwise he wouldn't say it.
Lcbdagger

Absolutely tearing my hair out at this one... even if this thread goes on to 100 pages nobody will convince me that any deal for Rhys wouldn't have more sense in the Summer. His value wasn't going to suddenly plummet between now and May.

Obefemi and Dickson will not score the goals we need to keep up around mid table (let alone higher) so letting Rhys go now makes absolutely no sense to me. Whoever we bring in (surely at least two new guys after our Loanee lasted 40 minutes) has massive shoes to fill in a very short space of time. Will no doubt be young, untried players too (probably on loan) as anyone on high wages to come in and make an immediate impact will cancel any potential profit of letting Rhys go anyway.
matt_drfc

Lcbdagger wrote:Absolutely tearing my hair out at this one... even if this thread goes on to 100 pages nobody will convince me that any deal for Rhys wouldn't have more sense in the Summer. His value wasn't going to suddenly plummet between now and May.

Obefemi and Dickson will not score the goals we need to keep up around mid table (let alone higher) so letting Rhys go now makes absolutely no sense to me. Whoever we bring in (surely at least two new guys after our Loanee lasted 40 minutes) has massive shoes to fill in a very short space of time. Will no doubt be young, untried players too (probably on loan) as anyone on high wages to come in and make an immediate impact will cancel any potential profit of letting Rhys go anyway.
Precisely
SUSSEX DAGGER

dagger4eva wrote:Sussex,

I was going to say I think that post was a bit harsh. Remember the feelings after the ex manager told a loyal supporter not to come if he didnt like it after one of our away games. You pretty much did the same there - good you took it back though.

In anwer to your question, I do believe (rightly or wrongly) people will decide to stay along whilst we a) continue to flog our best player or one of every January and b) results arent going away. Were down to between 1400-1600 as it is.

I don't believe we NEED to sell but if the offer is too good to refuse (I very much doubt it is that high at this precise moment) then as alwaysthe club will stick to its policy of not standing in the players way.
More than anything, I'm just more cheesed off it ALWAYS seems to be Peterborough.

Perhaps we could do a deal with them for the cash now, but with him re-loaned straight back to us until the end of the season. Oh, and with us actually sticking to that and not letting him toddle off there anyway after a couple of weeks.
I decided to apologise about the context in which my comment appeared, but I did not want it to distract from the real issue.

Players, Managers come and go and you are right I remember that day when the previous Manager made those comments. Good to see the Person who received those comments was still there in the pissing rain the other week, Think each and everyone of us resigned ourselves that this was likely to happen.

Matt remember that Summer night at Dulwitch pre season , honestly mate you would have given anything to be having this conversation now. We looked absolutely hopeless in front of goal and we left that night utterly convinced we were going down.

At least we still have hope as none of what we saw that Night are any longer an option, thank the lord for that at least.

If Rhys Murphy does depart I am certain we would be looking down both barrels now if he had not graced us with his presence even if it turned out to be half a season .

A number of things anger me, I am still annoyed that we forked out a 1/4 million quid on floodlights. We were told that these were a requirement under league rules. Obviously these rules do not apply at Accrington Stanley York City and Exeter who continue to play under lighting that are far worse then what we already had,

That lot down the road from me bankrupt and under a transfer embargo have had more player activity in 6 months then we have had in three years and recently financed the sacking of a Manager. Tonight in the local Paper they inform the readers of further likely activity in the transfer window. Last week they even financed the recruitment a former England International .

Things like that annoy me far more then a Player moving on as in his case we all knew the deal.

These blatant infringement appear to be of no concern to those in authority even though they were also made aware of the deal. Sometimes I think we play to much attention to rules no doubt this transaction will have a bearing on the FFP ruling, just a pity the playing field is not a level one and others just carry on it the same reckless manner that we do not .
matt_drfc

I just think that after last season it shows how vital a goalscorer is, we was reliant on the Gayle sale, I 100% accept that. Just didn't think we would be silly enough to do the same thing even though we are in a better position financially. Unless we have been lied to, who knows. Oh Dagenham :(
Richie

This sums it up for me - Good post. As I said earlier I'd be disappointed if it's a low fee, but if I was in charge and we were offered £400k I'd accept.
NickMurphy

Given our record of finding replacements in January, I wouldn't have accepted unless it was an offer that would seriously benefit the club.

Poor Wayne, doubt he's had much of a say in this.
DI Mike Dashwood

I think people need a bit of perspective with all this. We are getting gates of around 1,700 this season (someone can tell me the exact average). This won't sustain a Football League Club unless you have income from elsewhere, hence the sales.

The Gayle deal, from what I understand, ended up as a very good one for the Club, but as others have said, this won't last forever!!! When someone makes an offer, if it is a good one, the Club are always going to accept. People say wait till the summer, but if he breaks his leg in the meantime then the Club have written off whatever the value of the transfer is (say £250k).

Wayne would have known how it all works before he took the job. He now has to get someone in to score the goals to keep us away from trouble. Not easy, but thats the game at this level.

I am sure every Daggers fan finds it frustrating and annoying, but people have to understand the reasons behind it, surely??

The one danger now is if the season drifts away then those crowds will go down further, so I guess you could argue it is a bit of a catch 22. What do we have left 11 home games?? If you knock 150 more off each home game based on us now falling away then you are probably looking at around £25k loss in revenue. But if the fee is say £250k then the deal would still make financial sense to the Club.
Mike the Dagger

Key here is the bit that says :
DI Mike Dashwood wrote:When someone makes an offer, if it is a good one, the Club are always going to accept.
True. Is this a good offer though? I don't know, and I don't know what the exact cost of relegation would be, but that is the game we are playing here.

Timing wise this stinks, we have four points out of our last 21 available, and are struggling for goals even with the second top scorer in the division. Only once this season have we scored more than two in a league game. At the back we are doing OK, but the odd goal here and there from Rhys Murphy are what has kept us in the top half.

So we could take £250k now, probably with sell ons and bonuses attached, and potentially end up slipping into the relegation battle. We are only 8 points above Torquay in 23rd place right now.

if we go down, but with £250k in the bank, is that a good deal? I seriously doubt it.

Trouble is, we have set a precident that we will sell our assets in january, and that means we are fair game for clubs to come raiding, unsettle our players and stuff our season up.

We do risk that Rhys never scores again for us, either because form deserts him, or he gets injured, but can you risk our Football League status on that chance? He's not shown a tendancy to pick up injuries to date.

January is the time that silly deals get done, with clubs panicing and paying over the odds, not when you sell on your top goalscorer for a bargain price just because someone came knocking. Time for the Daggers board to grow some balls and tell Posh to pay up or get lost.
dagger4eva

Have to agree with Mike here wholeheartedly.

I recall speaking to people within the club at the REAL panic and consequence of what would happen should we go down. I.E. funding for the academy would stop (not that we ever really use it & would rather get in players from West Ham / Reading)

The reduced money we would get for dropping out the FL (as a package - less crowds, less share of the Premier League money etc. etc.)

Clubhouse possibly only being open on matchdays.

All of that is just the tip of the iceberg too I'm sure.

As it stands we are currently 10th and REASONABLY safe - but we are capable better than anyone of going on a bad and I mean bad run. 11 losses out of 12 at one stage in Stilly's last season. And not a single point won when the new manager kept bleating we "only" needed 1 more win to stay up.
The 8 point gap can very quickly evaporate and with only Obafemi (decent but one for the future) and Dickson (I'd rather have Jake Reed in the team than him) - the rest of the season could be very long and very painful for all.

Anyway, fingers crossed the story isnt quite true and Rhys is going no-where ..... for now at least!