Gooders on radio

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

RampantDuke wrote:I haven't been very close to this so can only offer an opinion from afar but on the face of it the Gooders deal looks the best option. It is backed by the East's who have been at the club for ever and are genuine fans. So why is this Tamplin bloke still hanging around? There must be more to this than meets the eye. As a fan I would go with Gooders/Easts on the basis that I can sleep at night knowing 100% that they have the best interests of the club at heart. I don't know what this Tamplin bloke's motivations are - he seems to be one of these fly by night poor boys made good who now wants to buy a football club on the cheap so he can brag to his mates and use it as his playground. If that isn't the case then I challenge him to come on this forum and state his motives.
Simple fact is that Thommo will be out of a job if anyone but Tamplin gets the gig, says all you need to know about Thommo.
Voice of reason

Diggerthedog wrote:
RampantDuke wrote:I haven't been very close to this so can only offer an opinion from afar but on the face of it the Gooders deal looks the best option. It is backed by the East's who have been at the club for ever and are genuine fans. So why is this Tamplin bloke still hanging around? There must be more to this than meets the eye. As a fan I would go with Gooders/Easts on the basis that I can sleep at night knowing 100% that they have the best interests of the club at heart. I don't know what this Tamplin bloke's motivations are - he seems to be one of these fly by night poor boys made good who now wants to buy a football club on the cheap so he can brag to his mates and use it as his playground. If that isn't the case then I challenge him to come on this forum and state his motives.
Simple fact is that Thommo will be out of a job if anyone but Tamplin gets the gig, says all you need to know about Thommo.
Wonder if Thommo will mention the Jones money which has recently arrived in his radio interview?
lupins

Yes he really should confirm that we paid an expected bill with money due. Completely unacceptable business practice surely we would have been relying on the residue from the Easter eggs
Diggerthedog

lupins wrote:Yes he really should confirm that we paid an expected bill with money due. Completely unacceptable business practice surely we would have been relying on the residue from the Easter eggs
It was paid late and by the Chairman who we will now give the money due for Jones. We're robbing Peter to pay Paul, when you chase your arse in business it's a failure.
Alan

Meanwhile, the next 1/4 VAT is due in September.
Diggerthedog

Whip round then!
dagger4eva

I'd definitely contribute to a whip round to get rid of Thommo!!!!
RayleighDagger1986

Just curious to know how you know what VAT quarters the club submits?
Alan

Tommo said last one was paid in June. On which basis next is September.
DI Mike Dashwood

The biggest shame about all this (in my eyes) is that certain peoples efforts over the Years for the Club are now being clouded.

Whether Thommo and Dave the Plumber should remain in their roles is one matter (and I don't have the time to debate that on here as it appears the majority of peoples minds are made up anyway) but they have both done an awful lot for the Club over the Years which is now being forgotten. This Club went from the Ryman League to League One 10 and a bit years and Thommo played a huge huge huge part in that. When we were playing Southampton and Charlton in League games none of us cared whether the away shirt was advertised properly!! Were mistakes made, yes, but nobody is perfect. But did Steve put all his energy and efforts into doing what he THOUGHT was best for the Club, in my eyes absolutely. Dave the Plumber was also the Club's main sponsor long before he was Chairman, putting significant amounts of money he had earned into the Club (the same as Jeremy West does now). To suggest these people don't care about the Club is wrong.

As I say, should they now remain in their roles, thats a separate debate. But people should remember what this Club has achieved over the last 16 Years.

My view on the best way forward is actually the same as Merge and Mike. I would like to see some exact details and numbers on the situation before any change is made. My number one choice would be for the Club to remain a members Club as it is now, and we cut our cloth accordingly. If a change really has to be made, then like many others I would prefer the consortium led by existing Club people (Goodwin etc) to take things on. But I think some transparency is needed here so people can actually judge the severity of the situation.
admin
Site Admin

Don't agree with you Dashers. I think the manor in which Steve Thompson goes about his business shows a total lack of respect for the club. I genuinely have started to concede that this is the end of the Dagenham and Redbridge and can't see anyone starting up AFC Dagenham.

I can see a lot of things at the club which I think should be done differently, have been tempted to write down on here and see other people's views on it as they may or may not agree with me. What I would say is, is our current match day experience appealing to new fans, I don't think so. Are we doing much to attract new and younger fans, once again I don't think so
RayleighDagger1986

Plenty of people would start up AFC Dagenham it it came to it...
1. Us fans
2. A consortium like Gooders
3. Some of the existing board
DI Mike Dashwood

As I say, didn't expect many people to agree!!

Steve's manner may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I think this has changed and become more apparent over the last two years. But a lot of things people are bringing up now that the Club is apparently doing wrong were being done in the same way 6 years ago but nobody had an issue with them then as we were winning on the field??

I also think what you have put below is quite dramatic and over the top, but each to their own. Many of us remember the mid 90s when someone did remove money from the Club that they shouldn't and the Club was in a real mess financially, but things improved and the Club prospered. There were times when we had average gates of 600 playing a level below where we will be this season but the Club kept going!!!
Diggerthedog

Problem is Dashers we have changed the philosophy of the club, we brought in crap ex pro's who we could not sell on and here we are in a financial mess and non league.

I don't think anyone is saying that what Thommo has done in the past was not for the best of the club unfortunately the club outgrew him many years ago and the commercial side of it all has been a complete shambles.

It's too late to make the change now the damage is done but I would say thanks the memories but time to move on, he was the MD who has overseen our sorry demise. We will go again but I would like to see someone else, perhaps with a bit of experience given the chance.

This guy gets paid and had failed miserably. Only today have we seen pitch size advertisements available 10 ******** days before the first home game, shambles.

Fresh start on the pitch and hopefully off to follow.
DI Mike Dashwood

Would agree with a lot of that DD.

As I said, whether Thommo and DTP should now remain in their roles is, I agree, up for debate!?!?!? But I think it is shame that a lot of what both these men have done is being forgotten because of the current situation (which I guess due to the lack of transparency and what is happening is their own faults).

The piece today regarding the advertising boards did make me raise a wry smile I have to say!!! In the past I think the Club has done as well as it could on a lot of the commercial side of things (the match sponsorship packages etc were always well done in my view, and normally sold out) but I agree in the last 18 months things have clearly not been right.

I still think it is dramatic to say it's the end of the Club though. A fresh start maybe needed on a number of fronts, but the Club will survive.