Murphy Gone

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
matt_drfc

dagger4eva

Get in there.... utterly fantastic news!!!

Right, now Saturday it IS down to us supporters to be loud, vocal and show and prove to Rhys that he made the right decision, and just how much we value and support the rest of the team too.

Well done Rhys - to turn down peterborough and their grubby money wins you an automatic place in daggers hearts. Well, mine certainly!
matt_drfc

100% agree! What a person he is for this. I feel like a little kid at Christmas :D :D :D
GdadSteve

Great news! Is it too early to make him a Daggers legend!

Steve
Masked Man

Nice to see someone not just jump on the first train outta here!!
ARNU

Good news.Now he can practice his jumping and heading :lol:
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
HogansHeros

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
****** you Peterborough
proves they cant steal all our squad :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
SUSSEX DAGGER

dagger4eva wrote:Get in there.... utterly fantastic news!!!

Right, now Saturday it IS down to us supporters to be loud, vocal and show and prove to Rhys that he made the right decision, and just how much we value and support the rest of the team too.

Well done Rhys - to turn down peterborough and their grubby money wins you an automatic place in daggers hearts. Well, mine certainly!
If there was more of this grubby money Rhys Murphy would be a Posh player tonight. Please do not insult my intelligence by suggesting that he has stayed out of any sense of loyalty to Dagenham and Redbridge. This deal appears to have broken down for one reason he wants a bigger slice of the cake. If and when that is offered he will be out quicker then a Greyhound from a trap.

Don't blame him for that and good luck too the lad its called human nature , but lets keep this in the real World and refrain from the fantasy that appears to be spreading that he has made a Personal sacrifice for the Daggers cause,

Heard enough Bullshit regarding loyalty from other so called legends.
Kevin

Not sure I agree with that Sussex.

Rhys has been out of the country trying to re-start his career from a different direction.

He's joined us, turning down higher wages elsewhere, not because it's his "dream" of playing for a tiny ol' League 2 club - it's so that he can play games, hopefully put in decent performances and score some goals.

He's done that for the first half of the season - I don't think it's a completely ludicrous idea that he wants to continue here and see how it all looks at the end of the season.

Personally, I'm glad he's staying & look forward to him (hopefully) banging in a couple on Saturday.
Daggers No 2 Fan

It seems to me that this whole episode has largely shown our supporters up quite a lot.
When no-one really knew the facts of why he'd been given permission to speak to Peterborough, there was a heap of slagging off the club.
When no-one really knows the facts of why Rhys turned the move down, there's a load of hero worship.

There really seems to be no middle ground from our supporters - either something is terrible or something is amazing.

I wonder how many were felling just a little bit silly after all the 'we're doomed' postings? How many feel a bit stupid for slagging off the club for simply living up to a commitment it gave to a player when he signed? Or would they have preferred the club to go back on that commitment and instead risking pissing that player off?
Ilford Dagger

This should be the end of this thread since he hasn't gone. Good for him.
dagger4eva

No.2 I understand your sentiment about there never being any middle ground. It does always seem to be delight or disaster.
However, with respect, I think the reason the club allowed Rhys to speak with Peterborough has never been in doubt!

It always was for 2 very simple reasons:
1) Peterborough bid an amount of money that was deemed acceptable by our club - the only reason any player in the country is given permission to speak to another club and even if that offer may be deemed derisory by the fans (if the figures of 150k being bandied about are true)
2) For as long as ive supported the club it has ALWAYS preached that it would never stand in a players way if an acceptable bid was received.

It surely didnt take for the club and rhys statement yesterday to know these were the reasons.. did it???

On the question of loyalty im with Kevin.
Of course playing for us isnt rhys' dream and l still expect him to go at some point soon (probably the summer) BUT you cant deny he has shown an element of loyalty to wayne and the club giving him a chance to kick start his career in England by turning down this Peterborough move. And you CAN bet your bottom dollar they would have been offering him a damn sight more in wages than we are currently paying him, that is a fact!
So l persoanlly applaud his decision to stay for now and when the RIGHT TIME comes for him to move on (preferably not midway through the season) I will give him nothingbut my best wishes for his future career.
Mike the Dagger

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:It seems to me that this whole episode has largely shown our supporters up quite a lot.
When no-one really knew the facts of why he'd been given permission to speak to Peterborough, there was a heap of slagging off the club.
When no-one really knows the facts of why Rhys turned the move down, there's a load of hero worship.

There really seems to be no middle ground from our supporters - either something is terrible or something is amazing.

I wonder how many were felling just a little bit silly after all the 'we're doomed' postings? How many feel a bit stupid for slagging off the club for simply living up to a commitment it gave to a player when he signed? Or would they have preferred the club to go back on that commitment and instead risking pissing that player off?
Total bilge I'm afraid.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, you may disagree but you are as likely not to be right as anyone else. And, difficult as it might be to believe, a fair few people had a decent idea what the cscale of the deal Posh were coming up with was.

It's great that Rhys has decided to stay put for now, and I am pretty sure that he is doing this because he didn't like something when he spoke to Peterborough, either the money wasn't right, or he didn't see himself getting much football, or maybe he didn't like the individuals he was dealing with. That he' has publically stated he's happy with us and staying put is great and he is obviously a pretty straight talking, loyal character.

There is also no doubt that when the right deal comes in at the right time, he'll be off and fair play to him as that is likely tobe right for his career.

The club however have accepted an offer from Peterborough and allowed him to go speak to them at a time that does not suit us and could well have seen us losing a prize asset when we are frankly struggling at the moment, just because. We don't need the cash right now and the deal was not a particularly good one anyway.

The board need to think about this seriously. We are a selling club, it is how we survive, but we should not set ourselves up to be taken for mugs and open to any offer that another club fancies chucking in. Serious offers only please in future!

The announcement was pretty cute though, emphasising why ambitious players might want to consider the Daggers. Well done whoever wrote that.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Mike the Dagger wrote:
Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:It seems to me that this whole episode has largely shown our supporters up quite a lot.

Total bilge I'm afraid.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, you may disagree but you are as likely not to be right as anyone else. And, difficult as it might be to believe, a fair few people had a decent idea what the scale of the deal Posh were coming up with was.

It's great that Rhys has decided to stay put for now, and I am pretty sure that he is doing this because he didn't like something when he spoke to Peterborough, either the money wasn't right, or he didn't see himself getting much football, or maybe he didn't like the individuals he was dealing with. That he' has publically stated he's happy with us and staying put is great and he is obviously a pretty straight talking, loyal character.

There is also no doubt that when the right deal comes in at the right time, he'll be off and fair play to him as that is likely tobe right for his career.

The club however have accepted an offer from Peterborough and allowed him to go speak to them at a time that does not suit us and could well have seen us losing a prize asset when we are frankly struggling at the moment, just because. We don't need the cash right now and the deal was not a particularly good one anyway.

The board need to think about this seriously. We are a selling club, it is how we survive, but we should not set ourselves up to be taken for mugs and open to any offer that another club fancies chucking in. Serious offers only please in future!

The announcement was pretty cute though, emphasising why ambitious players might want to consider the Daggers. Well done whoever wrote that.
I'm assuming you're 'Total bilge' comment was in reference to what you then proceeded to write?

As you say, everyone has a right to an opinion. Mine is that those commenting either very negatively towards the club or very positively towards Rhys were not in possession of the full facts. You've said nothing to show my opinion as wrong - if anything you've just further highlighted it.
You say the deal was not a good one, so here's a simple question for you - have you seen in writing the actual offer in full detail made by Peterborough?
matt_drfc

Daggers No 2 Fan, you are a boring fart