Daggers V Southend

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Fair result really (I think I predicted it before hand).Anyone listen to Phil brown and the southend biased radio reporting after the game ?
I thought we fought well and were a tad unlucky not to nick it.Still 4 points from 6 and knocking them out the cup 5-3 at their dump,we'd have all took that at the start of the season wouldn't we ? No complaints from me,just wish we'd have seen Shields tonight get a go.In fairness to Connors I think he had a great game tonight,possibly his best in a Daggers shirt yet.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

Anyone with Twitter check out @DanMc_SUFC 's tweets, he has the audacity to say we are obsessed and that they don't care about us :lol: :lol:

Forgot having more fans automatically gives you extra points...
SUSSEX DAGGER

[quote="Dagdale"]Lived up to what most of us thought pre-match a pretty exciting game, make no mistake Southend are a pretty good outfit especially as the seasons matured, tonight they won so much in the air and it gave our side a big challenge which gladly I'm proud of our team on how well they came back from a sloppy goal a set piece again and still cant make out how it was a corner beforehand which could have cost us dearly. A good couple of chances before the opener we could have easily taken the lead, I presume Zav crossed the line on wing attack to rule out 'our Rhys goal' because many around me roared 'that cant have been offside'.

Think you will find that Rhys was offside from at the time the ball was passed out wide to Zav and the lino took the view that he did not become active until he put the ball in . Perhaps if Zav had known this he may have had a go at goal himself. If that is correct then in my opinion the Linesmen has done the right thing.

Southend looked the better team but we certainly created the best chances and would have won a result that would have flattered us, however our fragile defence has cost us yet again. What another soft goal we have conceded tonight.

Southend come at a time when we have played Chesterfield, Fleetwood and Scunthorpe all in a month and although they looked the better team tonight they look a long way behind the other three and once again looked tonight like a team that does not know how to score.

Lawson was magnificent and if tonight is to be the end of his loan then I wish to thank him for his outstanding efforts over the past month as he has been superb.

A spoiler in midfield who don't mind putting his foot in is a must for me and is perhaps the type of Player we have missed all season

Well done to our ground staff who did an excellent job on the pitch after the battering it took Saturday. You are a credit to your profession and even that immigrant to this forum must agree that they have produced a playing surface tonight that is up there with best in this League.

Thought this was always going to be a hard month and at its end the only result that I have been disappointed with is the one at York. Really should have put them away first half and a return of 8 points would have been a very good effort. As it turned out 5 points could have been worse and at least the game at Newport will be amongst a host of games they have to rearrange, so the postponement down there a fortnight ago may turn out not to be a bad miss.
shoreyda2nd

Great game last night! Southend showed what a good team they are, and looked threatening all night. However it has to be said that the best chances fell to us, so a draw was a fair result in my opinion.
Connors was superb, I'm definitely 'Team Femi' but fair play Jack was my MOTM yesterday. Norris grew into the game and his goal was superb. Having him up there does help us alot, even the small things like winning throw-in's from goal kicks which just doesn't happen with Rhys.
No player had a bad game which was nice, Medy looked dangerous and up for it, and the midfield pair of Abu and Lawson worked incredibly hard against a very quick and attack-minded Southend midfield.

If we don't have Bingham and/or Saunders then I feel we have to go 442 or else we really struggle to get any possession or territory.
Dagger In The Heart

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:Think you will find that Rhys was offside from at the time the ball was passed out wide to Zav and the lino took the view that he did not become active until he put the ball in . Perhaps if Zav had known this he may have had a go at goal himself. If that is correct then in my opinion the Linesmen has done the right thing.
Does that mean then that Benno should have been flagged offside for the first goal in THAT game against Morecambe?? I don't know which is correct by the rules, but it doesn't appear consistent to me.

Can't comment on the game as wasn't there, but the highlights suggest we were desperately unlucky to not win. Can't do much about their goal in my view, defender throws himself at the ball and blocks it. It then proceeds to trickle in off the post.
Daggers No 2 Fan

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:Think you will find that Rhys was offside from at the time the ball was passed out wide to Zav and the lino took the view that he did not become active until he put the ball in . Perhaps if Zav had known this he may have had a go at goal himself. If that is correct then in my opinion the Linesmen has done the right thing.
You what? If Murphy was not in an offside position when Hines played the ball, then it does not matter if he was in an offside position at the previous pass. The whole gaining an advantage thing applies to each pass, otherwise you'd have offsides being given for a player who was in an offside position two or three passes previously.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Well that's the only conclusion I could come up with as you are correct when Zav delivered the pass Murphy was behind the ball and therefore could not be offside.
Lcbdagger

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:Well that's the only conclusion I could come up with as you are correct when Zav delivered the pass Murphy was behind the ball and therefore could not be offside.
Without knowing the current laws back to front I always thought this was spot on? Never thought you could be offside from a pass that travels backwards if you are behind the ball
Lcbdagger

Mike the Dagger wrote:It really is this simple....

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thef ... -game.ashx
I am assuming we are looking at case 14 (bottom of the link) in which case it is onside?
Daggers No 2 Fan

Lcbdagger wrote:
Mike the Dagger wrote:It really is this simple....

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thef ... -game.ashx
I am assuming we are looking at case 14 (bottom of the link) in which case it is onside?
It won't be that one, as Hines played the ball forwards, not backwards. It's quite possible that Murphy was just offside from that pass - it would have been tight as there wasn't much space for him to be offside in.
Mike the Dagger

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
Lcbdagger wrote:
It won't be that one, as Hines played the ball forwards, not backwards. It's quite possible that Murphy was just offside from that pass - it would have been tight as there wasn't much space for him to be offside in.
It would be great to have one of those "virtual views" of where everyone was when the ball was passed to Zav, and then again when Zav crossed it, but it isn't going to happen so its all guesswork really.

If Rhys was offside when the ball was apssed to Zav, but it either behind the ball at any point or back onside before the cross it's not offside. it looked to me like the defender went beyond Rhys before the cross came in, as indicated by Rhys having to slide to get the touch to put it in.

It didn't "feel" offside watching it live (or even close tbh) but I was as long way from being in line with it. I have to think that Southend got away with one there. Still they are a much bigger and better supported team than the Daggers so its only fair really.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Going from the highlights, it's hard to see how he could be offside as the ball isn't far from the line when played, so there isn't much room to be offside in. But with the angles it's impossible to tell as you can't see Rhys when the ball is played.
ronaldaggero

I haven't seen the highlights but from where I was standing , where Hines crossed the ball from and how Rhys slid in , close to the line , hard to see how he was offside :(
Mike the Dagger

ronaldaggero wrote:I haven't seen the highlights but from where I was standing , where Hines crossed the ball from and how Rhys slid in , close to the line , hard to see how he was offside :(
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap7saSDO6K8 About 50 seconds in if you are an impatient sort!