Another Question

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

Enjoying the debate over the merits of Jodi and JMD .

Here's another one . A quarter of the way through the season and time to ask the question .

Would this squad have been good enough last season to have kept us up.

I am firmly of the opinion that we would not have folded like a pack of cards and with our ability to score goals this season and remembering some of the bang average defences we saw last season I would be inclined to think they would have done , it may have been close but I can't help but think this group are better then the bottom 8 of last seasons League 2
The Romford Dagger

[quote="SUSSEX DAGGER"]Enjoying the debate over the merits of Jodi and JMD .

Here's another one . A quarter of the way through the season and time to ask the question .

Would this squad have been good enough last season to have kept us up.

I am firmly of the opinion that we would not have folded like a pack of cards and with our ability to score goals this season and remembering some of the bang average defences we saw last season I would be inclined to think they would have done , it may have been close but I can't help but think this group are better then the bottom 8 of last seasons League 2[/quote

So basically if Burnett wasn't manager and aimed a load of old players, we would've been fine.

Still came in and simply didn't have the time to bring his players in. Young and hungry.

Once again, thanks Wayne
stanton101

Personally from what I've seen so far I think we'd have stayed up, even though as stated the opposition barring one or two are very poor. It would have been close but I think we'd have just scraped through by a point or two.
DagenHammer87

I think the issue will always come down to mentality.

I didn't enjoy any of the last couple of years because not only were we proper dogshit, but the attitudes going around the team seemed quite toxic.

Relegation is never something to look forward to, but it appears we have cleared the decks and have replaced people who think they are bigger/better than they actually are and have replaced them with what seems to be decent, hard working players.

I think having players like Doe and Howell back are good for the morale of the team on and off the field. They're mature, experienced players who know what this club is about.

Regardless of if we get back up or not, making the effort to get over there is well worth it and is a fun experience again.

There's bound to be things people aren't happy with on the pitch and behind the scenes, but its starting to feel like we've got our old dagenham back.
Woodford Dagger

I reckon we would have stayed up with this team, not only is the quality of play much improved but there is a whole new mentality in the team and the way we've seen games out recently has been testament. last season we probably would have lost at Bromley.
daggersjeff

Not sure about avoiding relegation, but this squad would have made more of a fist of it!!

As DagenH said, its becoming fun again!
Lcbdagger

Last season's Stevenage, York, Newport squads were far worse than our current XI... Yeovil would have escaped due to their decent post January run.

Saying that... these players haven't yet been on a sustained losing run. Would they have struggled if they failed to win in the first five or six games? Who knows
Phippo

Something we will never know the answer to, but the effort and application from the current squad is far superior to anything we had to endure during the prior 2 years. If we falter over the next few months, I very much doubt it will be for lack of trying.
leewilson

What baffles me is how someone like Corey Whitley can be lurking around at Enfield whilst a player like Chambers can carve a Football League career for themselves. Some very lazy managers out there.
RampantDuke

leewilson wrote:What baffles me is how someone like Corey Whitley can be lurking around at Enfield whilst a player like Chambers can carve a Football League career for themselves. Some very lazy managers out there.
Great point Lee. I don't want to drag up the past or kick a man when he is down but that was exactly the problem with Burnett. He lost sight of what this club is about and how we got there by lazily bringing in horrible overpaid journeymen who 'can do a job at this level'. It was history repeating itself. Graham Carr (we would have been better off if his son was in charge) did it 20 years ago on a grander scale and got us relegated. We bought in Ted Hardy who knew how to build a young hungry team and we got to Wembley with them the following year. John Still has done exactly that again in the summer - it's harder work and you need better contacts but the results are showing through right now. I'm just digging out my flag and hat for the arch.........
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
Dagdale

What we have here now we would at least have been away from bottom 5 last term and survived, how can you go down when like at present we have a team of players each one playing with heart and united as a team, well documented I know but last season we had hardly any up front fire power, other than Ladabie who put a fairly decent shift in now and then midfield was all over the place and boy did we lack Doey as the solid man last wall of defence, I know were no doubt lose Jordan eventually but really hope players like Hawkins and Whitely keep here and pending we carry on improving like to think they will.
Paul from Barking

Fine margins and confidence. And perhaps a little rub of the green.

League tables don't lie. We are playing where last season's calamity put us.
Auntie Merge

Last season's League two was terrible; there was so many poor clubs, not just us.

I think we would have finished mid table, maybe had a remote dream of the playoffs.
We are playing like a team, something we rarely did at all last season.
Diggerthedog

The bottom two thirds of the conference is complete crap. We have looked good to date now the proper games start. I think we might have survived but many of our players would get bullied by league two bruiser sides.