Last night's meeting

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
NBDag

Mike what Thommo may have meant by that, be it worded poorly, is that right now we've got members sharing everything that is sent to them on a public forum. And they can't control the members and stop them from putting the books up here, which I think we would all agree would have been fairly certain to happen. Obviously that would be disasterous for us if our books got shared on here because if we are in the shit, other clubs would be able to bend us over when it comes to signing players.

Sod knows why no one has been fired. Maybe we couldn't afford to fire someone that high? But when Tamplin is finally in I still wouldn't be surprised if he sacks Thommo later on down the line.
Mike the Dagger

NBDag wrote:Mike what Thommo may have meant by that, be it worded poorly, is that right now we've got members sharing everything that is sent to them on a public forum. And they can't control the members and stop them from putting the books up here, which I think we would all agree would have been fairly certain to happen. Obviously that would be disasterous for us if our books got shared on here because if we are in the shit, other clubs would be able to bend us over when it comes to signing players.

Sod knows why no one has been fired. Maybe we couldn't afford to fire someone that high? But when Tamplin is finally in I still wouldn't be surprised if he sacks Thommo later on down the line.
I don't think it is any secret that we are in the shit, or else we wouldn't be where we are now. What the members needed to be told on Monday was how much shit and when we drown in it if nothing changes. This was the whole key to how the rest of the meeting went.

It could vary from:

A) We have had problems with cash flow, but forecast income will keep us afloat to the end of the season, after which we need to do something going forward (cut or cloth to suit income/seek investment etc.)

to:

B) We are living hand to mouth every day and are totally stuffed tomorrow without investment.

If it was A the Members had a genuine choice on Monday (apart from the fact there was no option to vote against the consortium of course). If it was B then it was not a choice really, although they could well have then pressed for people to resign for getting us to there.

Chances are, as always that it is somewhere between the two extremes, but the only people that know are those that have a vested interest in the sale going through.
Last edited by Mike the Dagger on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

You can't withhold financials from the custodians of the company for fear of them leaking it!
steeevooo

Mark wrote:You can't withhold financials from the custodians of the company for fear of them leaking it!
I did have a little chuckle at that myself! Essentially we're asking the people that own the club to make a big decision on its financial future, but we won't trust the people that own the club with the information that will help them make the best decision. It's ridiculous!
Mike the Dagger

steeevooo wrote:
Mark wrote:You can't withhold financials from the custodians of the company for fear of them leaking it!
I did have a little chuckle at that myself! Essentially we're asking the people that own the club to make a big decision on its financial future, but we won't trust the people that own the club with the information that will help them make the best decision. It's ridiculous!
Yes, it is total madness, and fairly typical of the way the Daggers have been run in recent years sadly. "Not in front of the children!"

Trouble is, by not making full disclosure at this meeting, they open themselves up to potentially not getting the full 75% majority needed at the next one to complete the change. At that point we are probably screwed totally and staring into the abyss.
dagger4eva

For clarification, whilst it’s true that Thompson stalled on figures – it was actually Tamplin who made the very firm order for them not to be released!
ARNU

How much did we make from the Everton game ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:How much did we make from the Everton game ?
About £70k after expenses (from Tommo, on the day, in the pub at Lime Street).
Mike the Dagger

dagger4eva wrote:For clarification, whilst it’s true that Thompson stalled on figures – it was actually Tamplin who made the very firm order for them not to be released!
If that is the case, then why did the Members accept it?
dagger4eva

God only knows but I would hazard a guess that it has something to do with the point DTD made about any official releases being made to members being nothing but contemptible, biased propaganda.
Mark

I'd be interested in how many members have a background in business. My gut feeling is that the board like having a small number of members who are largely not that business savvy so they are easier to convince.
Auntie Merge

dagger4eva wrote:God only knows but I would hazard a guess that it has something to do with the point DTD made about any official releases being made to members being nothing but contemptible, biased propaganda.
Pre the Merger between Dagenham FC and Redbridge Forest FC the accounts of both clubs were published in the Fanzine 'Come on Dagenham use your forwards' - along with comment.

I've probably still got a copy.
EDIT: I found my copy; scanner being temperamental. As soon as it responds to me kicking it up the USB, I will post.
DI Mike Dashwood

I remember buying that fanzine a few times in the first season post Merger Merge. Was good read. Mad Tone then did the pub team from Essex fanzine a few times around 01/02 (??) which was also quite good. Do fanzines still exist in the modern game??

Anyway, I digress. There are a few points I think people should consider here, or really just that I would like to point out.

Firstly, when Clubs are in real financial trouble (I mean real) there are normally stories of players not being paid or worried about not being paid, and creditors not being paid. Apart from the tax bill chat (which we never got to bottom of) I have not heard any of this in our case. You could argue that means those in charge have not done as bad a job as people think, or that we don't need the investment, depending on your politics.

Secondly, did anyone think running a Football League Club, that for 8 years did pretty well, on average gates of 2k, with no sugar daddy didn't mean we were probably always sailing pretty close to the wind financially?? I would say anyone who didn't think that was well, pretty silly really. So again, you could argue this means those in charge have not done as bad a job as people think, or argue that those in charge should have been more upfront about this originally??

Also, I think that people need to be careful referring to the previous set up (well current for now) as a business or company. Officially it was indeed a limited company, but it was essentially a Members Club limited by liability, which is slightly different, as there is no actual shares issued. I believe (and some on here may know more) that the kind of reporting financially that needs, by law, to be prepared in these situations is indeed pretty limited (Adrian may know more on this) so people hinting the Club has done things wrong legally etc may well be barking up the wrong tree.

Anyway, that's all from me. I wish the whole thing would just be done and dusted now. Have only been to a handful of games this Year so far (mainly with cricket) but have enjoyed them greatly and so it is a shame all this is clouding things.

On a separate note entirely, are children allowed in the Top Bar on matchdays?? If anyone is aware can you please let me know.

Cheers
len

Mark wrote:I'd be interested in how many members have a background in business. My gut feeling is that the board like having a small number of members who are largely not that business savvy so they are easier to convince.
Why are you not a member yourself and have a say in the process as you have no confidence in others making the decision you would like?
Mike the Dagger

len wrote:
Mark wrote:I'd be interested in how many members have a background in business. My gut feeling is that the board like having a small number of members who are largely not that business savvy so they are easier to convince.
Why are you not a member yourself and have a say in the process as you have no confidence in others making the decision you would like?
The record is stuck....
Mark wrote:Tbh like Mike I'm annoyed with myself not being a member. I guess I never thought it would come to this and I existed in a bubble where I thought the members were plentiful and representative of the supporters enough for it not to matter too much.

If this tells us anything it's that the fans need to make themselves heard.