Steve Thompson interview

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
TomMc

Thanks for that Mike. I appreciate Thommo taking the time to do it too.
DagenHammer87

Thanks for posting. It is very sad however that the club don't have the ideas to do something like this themselves. They have the press, social media and a customer database full of email addresses where information could be sent out.

This whole process has been uncertain, created wholly by hearsay and people arguing the toss without presenting fact to back up their position.

Credit to Thommo for taking part in this and I think it's rather unfair and probably somewhat cowardly that he has been the whipping boy in all of this.

Hopefully, the next couple of months will put this to bed and even more so I hope the club learn a lesson or two from this. Transparency is key to building trust.

Relegation, infighting and complete radio silence for the best part of six months is not the way to encourage people to stay with the club or draw new fans.

This should be an exciting time; but we've done the Dagenham thing and kept schtum. Once this is done, we need to get out; spread the word and develop more of a local interest in the club.
stanton101

DagenHammer87 wrote:Thanks for posting. It is very sad however that the club don't have the ideas to do something like this themselves. They have the press, social media and a customer database full of email addresses where information could be sent out.

This whole process has been uncertain, created wholly by hearsay and people arguing the toss without presenting fact to back up their position.

Credit to Thommo for taking part in this and I think it's rather unfair and probably somewhat cowardly that he has been the whipping boy in all of this.

Hopefully, the next couple of months will put this to bed and even more so I hope the club learn a lesson or two from this. Transparency is key to building trust.

Relegation, infighting and complete radio silence for the best part of six months is not the way to encourage people to stay with the club or draw new fans.

This should be an exciting time; but we've done the Dagenham thing and kept schtum. Once this is done, we need to get out; spread the word and develop more of a local interest in the club.
Agreed. I just hope that we put all this behind us now and get on with the business at hand, supporting the team, starting tomorrow. COYD
Diggerthedog

Thanks Mike and fair play to the the questioned.
durnzo

DagenHammer87 wrote:Thanks for posting. It is very sad however that the club don't have the ideas to do something like this themselves. They have the press, social media and a customer database full of email addresses where information could be sent out.

Couldn't of put it better myself.
diggerdagger1

Well done Mike......but very alarmed at the finances tbh. £300000 to £400000 overspend this season plus season 2017/18 £535000 tp £635000 overspend totals £835000 to £935000 needed in the next two seasons. Tamplin consortium investment is year 1 £625000 and year 2 £350000 making a total of £975000 which means we are OK for 2 seasons. In year 3 the investment is £250000 so that worries me on our current spending. The worrying thing is no actual evidence of these figures. As I have said before we are still a company limited by guarantee and as such our agm is due in November. By now we should have received the accounts but sadly no sign of them! The attendance in the upstairs bar after the last two games is very worrying as well is there a boycott in operation does anybody know? We seem to have a short term solution to a long term problem. Wish I could trust tamplin but I just can't but hope I am wrong and I really mean that because life without the daggers does not bear thinking about. Again feel sorry for us members what a choice we have! Would not take a lot for the members to vote against at the next meeting.
Mike the Dagger

diggerdagger1 wrote:Well done Mike......but very alarmed at the finances tbh. £300000 to £400000 overspend this season plus season 2017/18 £535000 tp £635000 overspend totals £835000 to £935000 needed in the next two seasons. Tamplin consortium investment is year 1 £625000 and year 2 £350000 making a total of £975000 which means we are OK for 2 seasons. In year 3 the investment is £250000 so that worries me on our current spending. The worrying thing is no actual evidence of these figures. As I have said before we are still a company limited by guarantee and as such our agm is due in November. By now we should have received the accounts but sadly no sign of them! The attendance in the upstairs bar after the last two games is very worrying as well is there a boycott in operation does anybody know? We seem to have a short term solution to a long term problem. Wish I could trust tamplin but I just can't but hope I am wrong and I really mean that because life without the daggers does not bear thinking about. Again feel sorry for us members what a choice we have! Would not take a lot for the members to vote against at the next meeting.
So if Tommo was willing to give me these answers, and put them in public, why did you and your concerned Member friends not ask for these same answers at the meeting on the 17th which was the right time to do so?

As Steve says, this is now so far down the line that if the members reject the change next time all hell will break loose. You voted for the change on the 17th it would be madness to vote against at the next meeting after another two months of overspending and paying out a load of legal costs.
admin
Site Admin

To comment on the point DiggerDagger1 made regarding the bar. It appears to be that a lot of our fans are having pre match pints elsewhere and they seem to be spread out. The pipe major and eastbrook are obvious alternatives with some fans going further away too. I'm included on that for some games. Quite honestly the clubhouse charge an average price for a poor quality and range of beer and people are getting a better deal elsewhere. For example, where I go sells better quality pints for £3 where as the clubhouse is £3.20 for a badly poured pint, what would you do? On top of which some fans are clearly boycotting giving the club extra revenue because of recent events. All in all, that's a big area where the club are suffering and losing a lot of money. However my argument is, do something to attempt to bring the punters back in.
ThatRoundThing

Could the attendances at the bars have anything to do with the rank quality of draught beers being served to us. Showing my age here but I've always drank draught bitter( Worthingtons) at Daggers since I was old enough to be allowed to drink in a pub.

Tuesday night pre match I took two pints back before being served a third that still didn't taste quite right.
I have raised the issue with Chris several times over a season and also with Steve Thompson via email last season, to be told the beer is fine.

It takes me 25 minutes to get home so I went straight home where I can go into a local working mans club and always get an excellent pint.
I suspect that pipes are not cleaned often enough, pints are not run off before serving us or, the demand for my pint is not sufficient enough to stop the beer going off in the barrel.
Speaking to mates that drink lager tell me that the quality of their drink is never consistent also.
I know many fans who are now drinking in the Eastbrook or Pipe Major (expensive) .
Many of the upstairs drinkers have bottled beers but is anyone else victims of dodgy pints?
leewilson

If the club did this, it would be a massively watered down interview to appease the interviewee. You just need to watch Daggers Players interviews to get a taste of how the questions don't actually lead to any substantial answers.

An independent interviewer allows for more transparency.
leewilson

I also must say that I am slightly worried that we may not achieve the 75% majority in the 2nd vote. It only takes a few of the non attending members from vote 1 to turn up with the intention of spoiling to make it go awry.
Diggerthedog

leewilson wrote:I also must say that I am slightly worried that we may not achieve the 75% majority in the 2nd vote. It only takes a few of the non attending members from vote 1 to turn up with the intention of spoiling to make it go awry.
I would laugh if this happened. How worrying that we a gambling with our future on nothing but verbal promises. No surprise really though, we should nickname ourselves the Cowboys as that's who is running the club currently.

On the subject of beer at the club it's dogshit, the world is craft beer mad now and were once again behind the 8 ball. Only once this season have I been in for a prematch beer that was first game to say hello to a few people after the summer. Pipe is more expensive but has much better options.
mickeyblue

lager has always been crap. defo in upstairs bar as well as it's only used on match days.
all this needs looking at.
bar manager needs to do just that and not a million other jobs.
the whole system needs looking at.

the food was awesome a few seasons back now I wouldn't feed it to my dog.

tamplin and tommo will be in charge no matter what do let's give am a break and hopefully at fans forum we can air views
but we finished 9th!
Voice of reason

Well done Mike

This makes things much clearer.
Those people who thought that a 75% majority was required to change the way the club is owned were correct
I suspect this will prove a very high bar to clear
Especially as there are to be no guarantees in place as to promised future payments

The club statement about the first payment being received yesterday seems a little ambiguous
I'm not really sure what it means
Does it signify that the money has been paid to the current Daggers but it is owed to the new entity D&R 2016 Ltd who are due to take over if Mr T's consortium manage to get 75% or more at the next meeting?
I suspect it does