when john still returns

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
chasthedagger

I wonder what sort of reception he will get next season, baring in mind that he led us through the clubs most successful period in our history.
I know there are some that feel very aggrieved with the way he left, but he did things with this club that us old timers never dreamed of seeing.
Looking at reports it seems that luton are not playing the hoof ball football style some people blame him for playing here, but it would seem as he has money he can play a different style with the right type of players.
shoreyda2nd

I presume this'll be a cup game seeing as we'll be in league 1 ;)

I'll be sure to give him a great reception, the man did so much for our club and we wouldn't be anywhere near where we are now without him.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and now i can say that the Luton move probably came at a good time. The club needed a change to freshen things up, and if we can get a few hundred of our fans back each week it looks like a good time to be a Dagger.
ARNU

I think he'll get a good reception,even I'll cheer him.Wont be as big a cheer as he could have got though as his exit was somewhat tainted .
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
daggersjeff

....there will be no open arms welcome or cheering from me or mine.......

would like to see our fans all turn their backs on him........just as he did to us!!!
Richie

I'll give him the good reception he deserves
Ilford Dagger

He will get a respectful return, most of us will remember the good things he did for the Club but doubtless a few will barrack him ,equally many will remember how he left us under something of a cloud. To be fair he has done well so far @ LTFC but with their apparent riches no surprise.
Phippo

He looks good to get them up, but they are not there yet.
Auntie Merge

I had a good think about this a few weeks ago.

He is a good manager, if Luton go up automatically this will be the third club he has taken into the football league. That kind of track record is not to be sniffed at, even if this time he has a lot of money behind him.

I will probably be friendly towards him; he has been part of my life since I was 15 and has given me some great memories. BUT, I still don't like the manner in which he left, I am sure he knew at the Wimbledon game that he was going and he left us on the precipice of relegation.

I have healed a lot since the beginning of the season - having a manager who knows he doesn't have a job for life in the dugout definitely makes a difference to the results and the attitude - and this makes all the difference to the welcome he will get.

PS - League two could be quite fun next year if Cambridge get promoted and Stevenage come down.
leewilson

I don't think anyone liked the manner of the departure but I don't think that takes away the journey he took us on before and that is what I will be thanking him for if we are to play Luton next season.

For what it's worth, I do believe he loves the club. I don't think that was made up. I think the problem was that he probably felt he had taken us as far as he could and the Gayle thing was probably a breaking point for him whether he sanctioned the move or not. Having listened to countless interviews over the years, the man loves a challenge. I just think Luton was a project too good to refuse in the twilight of his career. It was either stay in a comfortable job with little ambition for as long as he wants or get back out there and reinvent 'John Still' one more time in the hope of managing at a higher level before he gets too old.

Anyway, we can speculate over reasons and what not. Without John Still, I don't believe we would have made it to the Football League. We wouldn't have witnessed many if any of the exciting 'names' that have played for the Daggers over his 9 years in charge. We wouldn't have had the joy of two promotions and trips to Hillsborough, The Valley, The Walkers, The Galpharm and others over the years. We wouldn't have had 'that day' at Wembley which will live with every Daggers fan for a lifetime. We wouldn't have seen a new stand built to help modernise our football ground. All of the achievements that he spearheaded have assisted in advancing us to the club we are today.

I started out supporting the Daggers when I was 14/15 back in 2004 during Gary Hill's final season. We didn't score a goal in the first 5 games I came to. For some reason, me and my friend Michael kept coming back each week. Success to us back then was FA Trophy runs and the occasional plum tie against Grays. I'm sure many on here can go back into the 90s and beyond. Surely we can appreciate not just the success of what Stilly achieved but the excitement of what came with it. He took us into the unknown. We had exciting players. We still had shocking performances here and there like any club does but there was always the thought that with Stilly in charge, we'd turn it around.

Was the way he left shit? Yes. Was the journey we went on under him? No. A clap of appreciation from me most certainly.
Chigwellian

daggersjeff wrote:....there will be no open arms welcome or cheering from me or mine.......

would like to see our fans all turn their backs on him........just as he did to us!!!
That's a bit harsh Jeff
Lcbdagger

Will no doubt get a round of applause after any game... will no doubt get the proverbial dogs abuse throughout... sadly (with the team he currently has, and finances available) if they do come up I can't see us shutting him up with a victory... very strong team Luton and will be unlucky next season to not be around the top three again.
ronaldaggero

Whatever u think about the man and the manner in which he left us , he is still a Legend for what he achieved and for all his earlier links to the Club. Can only applaud him for the highs he gave us .

Lets see how the pricing is next season , will be a big factor if I can or cannot renew season tickets for me and my son :(
Blackie645

Let's get one thing straight, it gets on my nerves when he mentions Daggers in the same breath as Luton Town, what he did with us, far outweighs what he has done with Luton.
We had have no money, Luton Town have bundles, that's why he is paid £300,000 a year, yes that much, I know a vey good friend of his, he could not turn that down, he would have been bonkers.
Do not leave like he did, he must have known we could or would have got relegated, and he did not give a toss, taking his backroom staff with him and the coaching set up.
Any other club would be calling him a Judas, and would make life very uncomfortable for him when he comes back to us, yes he did a lot, but he left us without any structure, and did not care.
He is a Judas and I will be telling him that in no uncertain terms.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Blackie645 wrote:Let's get one thing straight, it gets on my nerves when he mentions Daggers in the same breath as Luton Town, what he did with us, far outweighs what he has done with Luton.
We had have no money, Luton Town have bundles, that's why he is paid £300,000 a year, yes that much, I know a vey good friend of his, he could not turn that down, he would have been bonkers.
Do not leave like he did, he must have known we could or would have got relegated, and he did not give a toss, taking his backroom staff with him and the coaching set up.
Any other club would be calling him a Judas, and would make life very uncomfortable for him when he comes back to us, yes he did a lot, but he left us without any structure, and did not care.
Jesus Christ, really? really? Really?
ARNU

Blackie645 wrote:Let's get one thing straight, it gets on my nerves when he mentions Daggers in the same breath as Luton Town, what he did with us, far outweighs what he has done with Luton.
Time heals.Id have agreed fully with every word a few months back.He left us without a blink of an eyelid but it was £300k a year and he aint getting any younger.Im glad he's gone boring hoofball and excuses all the time.In fairness it was the clubs fault for letting the manager call all the shots.They should have sacked him and he knew it.Well rid of him really aren't we ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !