when john still returns

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
IanC

Bloody hell blackie645 think you better go and have a lay down in a dark room me ol mate.I have seen stilly manage this football club under at least three different banners through the 80`s,90`s and up to the present.He as been truly magnificent for each club and won many trophies,promotions etc and by doing so has helped to make this club along with many others on and off the field the club it has become.He has left this club on 2 or 3 occasions to try and improve his career in the past so we are used to it and he will be welcomed back by all and it`ll be great to see him.Yes it could have ended better than it did but thats football,most departures dont end great,im over it and dont begrudge him, and weve got a lot to look forward to going forward with wayne.We have certainly made quick progress so everyones happy.
Blackie645

Yes I remember being one of 12 supporters on wet and cold Saturday to Runcorn in the 80's when John Still was in charge, telling him after our 2-1 defeat that we through away the FA Trophy tie against Bromsgrove, and he turned his back on me, anyway yes I remember I am not one of those new to the daggers and to this forum, I usually read these instead of joining in, but I felt I had to say something.
Oh yes and I remember John Still plying for the daggers in the early 70's. Yes I go to the games, admittedly not away games now, but I am a silent supported in the ground.
One last thing didn't he leave Redbridge Forest after the money run out?
Dagdale

Hopefully when the Hatters DO eventually come down our manor under JS I sincerely hope we effing well trounch 'em and make the pitch DO the talking, I too was quite unhappy about it all and the consequences which developed about one year ago now, but by the time we play them, because lets face it they're on their way up, Wayne's daggers although still under progress is a much better side now and cracks that were too familiar to most of us last season are slowly getting filled. There would be nothing like a match of this status to bring the best out of us, Team and FANS.
IanC

Blackie645 wrote:Yes I remember being one of 12 supporters on wet and cold Saturday to Runcorn in the 80's when John Still was in charge, telling him after our 2-1 defeat that we through away the FA Trophy tie against Bromsgrove, and he turned his back on me, anyway yes I remember I am not one of those new to the daggers and to this forum, I usually read these instead of joining in, but I felt I had to say something.
Oh yes and I remember John Still plying for the daggers in the early 70's. Yes I go to the games, admittedly not away games now, but I am a silent supported in the ground.
blimey if you been around that long i cant really see why your that bothered,move on,
matt_drfc

Blackie645 wrote:Yes I remember being one of 12 supporters on wet and cold Saturday to Runcorn in the 80's when John Still was in charge, telling him after our 2-1 defeat that we through away the FA Trophy tie against Bromsgrove, and he turned his back on me, anyway yes I remember I am not one of those new to the daggers and to this forum, I usually read these instead of joining in, but I felt I had to say something.
HARDCOREEEE
bloke down the pub

Is he coming back to replace W.B. ?
SUSSEX DAGGER

There is no loyalty in Football whatever the pretence. Having said that when we were travelling the Country in a period that saw us gather a rather meagre 4 points out of 51 I think this Club showed a good deal of it.

Would he be at Luton today if it was not for the outstanding loyalty that our Board showed him , i doubt it. After a dire performance at Northampton I remember Harris giving an interview and stating that at any other Club they would have got the chop.

My annoyance about the way he left was just the timing, it would have been on the morning of an important League game at Bradford if they had not somehow got to a League Cup Final.

That night however we saw the new dawn as we dug out a fantastic result and I left there thinking perhaps it was not a disaster everybody was fearing.

He did great things at this Club and will always have my respect, but he was not paid peanuts for his efforts and his position today is down largely to the loyalty shown to him by this Club. No other Club would have put up with a run we did, if the trigger had been pulled he would now be in all probability in obscure retirement.
IanC

Yeah all good points sussex so we are all winners.stilly got his last hurrah and
we have moved on to better things.Only better cos it all went a bit stale a d maybe
stillg should have gone a year earlier.Onwards and upwards.By the way blackie 645
answer to your question is no.He never left red forest.
Phippo

As Sussex pointed out, Still was not paid peanuts. He treated fans with disrespect on very many occasions (usually when they were voicing warranted opinions on the teams performance). His catch phrase "SHUT UP" was heard with monotonous regularity when fans in the Carling Stand made there feelings known when suffering Stills oh so stale and boring style of hoofball. I'm pleased he's gone, and I'm not forgetting what he did for our club. He was well past his sell by date and everyone (including himself) knew it!
Daggers No 2 Fan

Phippo wrote:As Sussex pointed out, Still was not paid peanuts. He treated fans with disrespect on very many occasions (usually when they were voicing warranted opinions on the teams performance). His catch phrase "SHUT UP" was heard with monotonous regularity when fans in the Carling Stand made there feelings known when suffering Stills oh so stale and boring style of hoofball. I'm pleased he's gone, and I'm not forgetting what he did for our club. He was well past his sell by date and everyone (including himself) knew it!
I wonder how many football managers put up with the complaints of supporters, which also tend to come with monotonous regularity. If supporters wish to express their opinion at a manager, then why shouldn't the manager express their opinion back? Even if that opinion is that they'd like the person to shut up.

It's typical football supporter bullshit really - I want to bitch and moan, and whoever I'm bitching and moaning at must listen to my largely worthless opinion as I paid some money so so think that means I've got a clue, when in reality I haven't.

It does seem that those that moan most about how he want were the ones who wanted him sacked anyway.
matt_drfc

He has given me the happiest moments during my time supporting Dagenham. Yes, I was disappointed with the way he left, but I'm over it, it's football after all. It hasn't turned out so bad, we've got a good manager, playing some nice football and sitting pretty in mid table. I doubt I'd give him any sort of reception good or bad, he would be an opposition manager who we want to beat.
chasthedagger

When I wrote this post I mentioned the hoofball he was supposed to have offered the fans, would it not be that you can only play to the limits of the players you have or can afford. He appears to be showing that now he has more finances at his disposal.
Personally I will thank him for the fantastic highs he gave me irrespective of the timing and the way he departed. I dont think anyone on this forum would stay in a job if he was offered a big rise as he was, there are no ethics in football as you see almost every week. I dont like it but thats the way of doing things.
Blackie645

Ian C
Yes he left Dag & Red the first time when we did not have much money left or are you going to give me another history lesson of D&R!
Phippo

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
Phippo wrote:As Sussex pointed out, Still was not paid peanuts. He treated fans with disrespect on very many occasions (usually when they were voicing warranted opinions on the teams performance). His catch phrase "SHUT UP" was heard with monotonous regularity when fans in the Carling Stand made there feelings known when suffering Stills oh so stale and boring style of hoofball. I'm pleased he's gone, and I'm not forgetting what he did for our club. He was well past his sell by date and everyone (including himself) knew it!
I wonder how many football managers put up with the complaints of supporters, which also tend to come with monotonous regularity. If supporters wish to express their opinion at a manager, then why shouldn't the manager express their opinion back? Even if that opinion is that they'd like the person to shut up.

It's typical football supporter bullshit really - I want to bitch and moan, and whoever I'm bitching and moaning at must listen to my largely worthless opinion as I paid some money so so think that means I've got a clue, when in reality I haven't. It does seem that those that moan most about how he want were the ones who wanted him sacked anyway.
SHUT UP sounds to me like a statement, but you are fully entitled to your opinion! :D
IanC

Blackie645 wrote:Ian C
Yes he left Dag & Red the first time when we did not have much money left or are you going to give me another history lesson of D&R!
Im.only answering your question me ol mate.