What formation...

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

We're a bit in between tactics at the moment I think. Started off the season playing some very nice football but we were pushovers on the road. I think Burnett has tried to toughen us up, make us more gritty and tougher to break down on the road. Unfortunately, this has had the adverse effect at home whereby we now get involved in scrappier games. This is along other factors such as teams learning how to cope with us, 1-2 players losing form, injuries etc.

We've come quite a long way in a short space of time with a largely John Still made up squad. Burnett is slowly but surely making this team his own, even if we have taken a small step back in recent weeks. The likes of Connors, Doe, Ogogo and Bingham have really improved whilst I dare say Wilkinson, Femi, Howell and Hoyte are struggling a little to adapt. The latter in particular doesn't give us enough considering the attributes he has. The summer will be about making small changes here and there with hopefully more bargains akin to Murphy and Hines making us even stronger for next season.

I know it's frustrating that we've thrown some duff showings in recently but bear in mind Burnett has had the job for just about a year and we've come a long way.
Mark

Amazed at the lack of support for Murphy tbh. For me Norris has done equally little in the games he's played and like Murphy also can spend 89 mins anonymous and then score.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Mark wrote:Amazed at the lack of support for Murphy tbh. For me Norris has done equally little in the games he's played and like Murphy also can spend 89 mins anonymous and then score.
This. I'm at a complete loss as to what our supporters want from him. We had people moaning when he was allowed to talk to Peterborough, and now we seem to have people that want him gone.
There are some who moan about pretty much everything he does - 'Come on Muprhy challenge for that ball that's 30 yards away from you', 'You're rubbish, why didn't you control that ball that was played behind you while you were moving at pace'.

H'es getting no service. Norris isn't better than him, Azeez certainly isn't better than him - he looked ok on the floor but largely clueless with high balls, despite having several inches on Murphy.

There are some who really need to move on from the 'keep the ball on the floor' stuff. How many goals have we scored when patiently playing the ball out. I'd guess at none, and we've almost certainly conceded more from losing the ball when over-playing. Most of our goals come from getting the ball forward quickly. That's the key bit. Wingers don't create goals when they're facing their own goal. Strikers don't score goals when facing their own goal. That's a big part of our problem.
Yestredays goal was a great example of what happens when you move the ball quickly and have wide players going the right way.
matt_drfc

Personally I just think Murphy needs a rest for a game. Like Hines last week.. Clearly our best striker, just needs a break.
DaggerSince92

For me, Wilko and Doe are the best partnership we have defensively, Saah is prone to errors. (Like just switching off completely for Plymouth's 2nd).

I like Norris, but feel we have to play a midfield 3 and can't see him playing as a winger. So I think we have to keep the faith in Azeez, Murphy, and Hines as our three attackers.
ARNU

Prefer Saah to Wilky.

We'll finish mid table but need 4 more wins or 16 points I reckon to make us safe.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
TheLion

Murphy seems to have divided our fan base down the middle. There seem to be as many critics as supporters of him. Which is surprising when you consider his goal tally.

Normally someone with his goal tally would be a favourite.
SUSSEX DAGGER

TheLion wrote:Murphy seems to have divided our fan base down the middle. There seem to be as many critics as supporters of him. Which is surprising when you consider his goal tally.

Normally someone with his goal tally would be a favourite.
I Made comments after yesterdays game that on reflection were probably a little harsh. You have a point but I just hope he does not prove to be a Woodall like half a season wonder .

Still reckon he will be better in a four four two were he could feed off the knock downs.

In our Four Three Three our Forwards are to far apart for my likening and your main Striker has to be able to head the ball,an attribute it is plainly obvious Rhys lacks.

Found it very frustrating yesterday that decent crosses were put into their box and there was not a Daggers forward head coming in on any of them.

My comments yesterday were made in the knowledge that a decent offer was made for him and out of sheer frustration.

Perhaps my real scorn should be saved for where the real problem has been this season and that is a back four who cant defend a set piece if their lives depended on it. Not only have we shipped goal after goal in this manner but have also gifted just as many as what have been taken. Some of our defending this year would bring a tear to a glass eye.