Goalkeepers

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
TommyD&R

I haven't been any pre season fixtures this year for the first time in as long as I can remember, but one thing I've noticed from the highlights I've watched is Justham seems to have let in quite a few weak goals this pre season. Can anyone who's been to some pre season games tell me what the keepers form has been like and who you'd start for the first league game? Cheers!
DevonDagger

Interestingly I've thought (also based on highlights only) that Justham has made some top saves - however, as you highlight also let a cheap one or two in. Then again, think I recall Cousins dropping one in a recently friendly too?
Daggernewbie

What you must remember they will do during the season too as most goalkeepers do it now and again.
TommyD&R

Daggernewbie wrote:What you must remember they will do during the season too as most goalkeepers do it now and again.
Absolutely, but I just thought Justham has let in a few that he would've usually saved in the few games so far. Thought the one that cousins dropped was harsh on him, he had two hands on the ball and was run into. I don't have a favourite either way, think they're both good keepers. Shame we can't mix the two and have Justhams height and kicking mixed with Cousins reactions and athleticism!
DagenHammer87

From a personal point of view, the first Stevenage goal was a classic case of the defence and Justham mixing themselves up.

They didn't deal quick enough so Justham came off his line and found himself in no man's land. He needed to be more vocal and have a better command of his box.

Not hearing that communication with the defenders was a bit of a worry as I thought that was a real strength of Justham's and something that in my opinion put him ahead of Cousins.

Thankfully this is the time to get the mistakes out of the system and really nail down the instructions that John is giving the lads. All will be fine come Saturday.
Mark

Both our keepers have their good points and also some things that give me reservations.

I'd go with Cousins of the two because Justham just lets too many in that he should save. He doesn't move his feet at all and just dives from a standing start. It is rare that he pulls off a great save into the corners of the goal. Not saying he should do it every time but it's pretty rare that he pulls one out of the bag which even Lewington would do. His decision making coming off his line is also quite poor. Doesn't come and get enough in the air in the 6 yard box considering his size.