Eastleigh

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DevonDagger

Following two wins from two, we travel to Eastleigh on Saturday. Some debate at how convincing those wins were but a solid win here would put the majority of that to rest for now I expect!
I will be driving up to see this one, first of the season. Looks like a dodgy route from down south, best part of 3 hours for a 120 mile drive.
I'm sure you'll all probably be aware - but if you plan on come along - book online or phone in advance. £15 on the door, £12 in advance.

Like most recent seasons, Eastleigh are fancied to be up there so this will be expected to be a tight game. I take any kind of win at any time, but think this early in the season and not really knowing what Eastleigh are capable of achieving, a repeat 1-0 of last season would be more than acceptable right now.

A few ex players to look out for...
Ayo Obileye - despite being transfer listed, remains at the club. Unused sub in 0-0 draw at Bromley, not in the squad in 1-0 win over Sutton.
Gavin Hoyte has started both games
Ben Strevens is on their books still but hasn't made the 16 in either.

Ones to watch...
Chris Zebroksi - I've seen a fair bit of him when I was younger and dragged down to watch Torquay. He was strong and pacey and wouldn't have put him at this level so soon. However, this was the best part of 8 seasons ago, and two years in prison (Eastleigh being his first club since) probably hasn't helped his cause - so perhaps a lot of water under the bridge since his prime days.

Danny Hollands - I'd forgotten all about him since his time at Charlton. Although he may have disappeared off my radar, I do recall a very decent player back then. Dr Monkatron mentions a bit more about him during the first or second episode of their H&Vs series. It doesn't sound like Hollands disappointed at his previous club Crewe either - as he was offered a new contract there, but returned to Eastleigh to be closer to home instead.

Either way, an intriguing game. Eastleigh have yet to concede, but have only netted once. We've got four goals but have been a bit more fragile at the back.
Mark

I think they'll be top 7 so any points are good points.
Diggerthedog

They have bought well in the summer but the same can be said for last summer and it was a disaster for them. Another bankrolled club were up against this season. Ferrier going off injured and Corey was holding his Hamstring at stages on Tuesday so we could see a different side but hopefully not. Like Mark said any point is a good point. On paper our start is really tough so it's about grinding out results and see where we are mid September.

I can see a 1-1 draw. 120 Daggers & Cheek With the goal.
Dagdale

This could be an interesting affair, they've got four points out of six and our game tomorrow is the start of them having five very hard games, Woking, Tranmere, the O's, and Aldershot so pretty sure they're going to do some business against us especially on their own turf but although dodgy second halves, so far like the way Dagenham are now a good attacking side and lessons by John will have been read out in great detail since Tuesday so every confidence in holding a win and trying to topple the Shots. Just hope Waterloo is not a mare with half platforms down but were be well supported again.
durnzo

I really fancied this one having been forced to miss Boreham cos of work, but unfortunately the situation is the same this weekend. Glad there's a home match on Tuesday to get my fix!!

I think this should be a good test and hopefully the team is starting gel as I thought we looked really good in patches against barrow. It's a good time to be a dagger.
IanC

In the same boat as you my friend,was on lates tues and working tomorrow.Will make up for it against the fleet like you,3.00 meet in the ship,love it!
Great start by the boys lets hope we can make it 3 out of 3,dont get too down on the 2nd half issues people, theres 20 other teams who would swap places with us right now.Plenty of time to get it all right,its a marathon not a sprint.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Two more dreadful defences I think you will have to go along way to see. Absoiloutely no pace in the Centre of ours once Doe went off injured. Please Please Mr Gowans reassure us an injury that you estimate normally as a fortnight is just that and not the normal normal three months that are in your fortnight, because I fear how many we will ship without him.

Totally opened up when the opposition ran onto through ballls and as for this New Centre Half that we never needed , he is becoming a liability. Clear Penalty and let know one pretend otherwise.

Really pleased first third and last third of the game offensively , thought we created plenty. It will remain a mystery as to what happened the 15 minutes either side of half time we seem to lose our way again.

Came away releaved to only be a bit dissappointed
Mark

Sounds like we played well for a bit longer than first two games at least.

We badly need Doe fit. 2 pens given away in a week by Lokko then?
Diggerthedog

Mark wrote:Sounds like we played well for a bit longer than first two games at least.

We badly need Doe fit. 2 pens given away in a week by Lokko then?

Though it was Robson who gave away the pen and got booked for it might be wrong.
DevonDagger

I thought we actually looked the better team today over the whole 90 minutes.
When you concede two goals to leave yourselves behind at half time though, then it's going to be an uphill task to win from there. We didn't start the second half at all well either, I was actually a bit concerned that heads had already gone during that period.

Can confirm it was Lokko who gave away the penalty.
I actually wasn't sure at the time whether I agreed with the decision, couldn't even have a guess so will wait to see the highlights. Likewise with whether the first was offside since the players appealed for that.

I must say it's interesting to read what everyone else thinks, aside from the mad minutes before half time - I thought we looked reasonably safe defensively.
I really like how we're utilising Robson. He did some very good bits of sweeping up and also has a pretty reliable pass on him. I also think Ling looks like he's improved quite a bit.

Eastleigh are bloody awful for their gamesmanship antics, the usual time wasting and all that. Every team will do it, but along with Forest Green in the play off semis, that's the worst I've seen in quite some time. What frustrates me is the ref on four occasions had a word with Hoyte, Stack and some other player - but never once considered that his chit-chats perhaps weren't having desired effect.

When driving up today I figured a draw would be a reasonable result - as mentioned in the start of this thread- Eastleigh are bit of an unknown animal at the moment. I think we can be satisfied, however it won't be good if we don't follow up with a win Tuesday.