Bar prices at the club

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Daggernewbie

From the 1st October you could use the discount card if you have one to be used at the bar for a 10% discount on drinks but now you pay £3.30 for Carling all week not just match days,but they also put the prices up on some bottled beers by as much as 50p so wiping out any benefit of the discount card,these three I know of rose from £3.30 Newcastle Brown up 40p to £3.70,Daggers Black and Daggers Edge to £3.80 up 50p a bottle so where is the benefit of having the discount card on these bottled beers.Price rises like this will not get supporters coming back to drink in the club if they are going to be paying more for some drinks as one said to me today " he might as well have a drink else where and just watch the match ".
Alan

That is bloody stupid, if that's what they've done.
Auntie Merge

I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering whether it's just poor timing. That the bar prices might have been going up anyway, but it clashed with the launch of the discount scheme.

Edit: and following on from that, the club might have been trying to cushion the blow of the bar prices rising, by introducing a discount scheme for the regulars.
Daggernewbie

Auntie Merge wrote:I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering whether it's just poor timing. That the bar prices might have been going up anyway, but it clashed with the launch of the discount scheme.

Edit: and following on from that, the club might have been trying to cushion the blow of the bar prices rising, by introducing a discount scheme for the regulars.
Prices might go up but some have gone from £3.30 to £3.80 a bottle that`s roughly an increase of 15 % so after the discount it`s 12p dearer than the old price,thought the idea was to make the beer cheaper not dearer.
Adrian

Daggernewbie wrote:
Auntie Merge wrote:I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering whether it's just poor timing. That the bar prices might have been going up anyway, but it clashed with the launch of the discount scheme.

Prices might go up but some have gone from £3.30 to £3.80 a bottle that`s roughly an increase of 15 % so after the discount it`s 12p dearer than the old price,thought the idea was to make the beer cheaper not dearer.
If the prices were going to go up anyway then you're still ultimately getting a discount.
If the supplier has upped the price would you expect the club to be selling at a loss?
Alan

I seriously doubt that the supply costs on a case of 24 beers have gone up by £12. They hadn't when I was in Tesco yesterday.
Adrian

Do we have the same level of buyer power as Tesco?

Are the two Daggers branded bottles available in Tesco?
Daggernewbie

Adrian wrote:
Daggernewbie wrote:

If the prices were going to go up anyway then you're still ultimately getting a discount.
If the supplier has upped the price would you expect the club to be selling at a loss?
Strange that the same brewery supplies two other Daggers bottled beers and they only went up 20p.
Last edited by Daggernewbie on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adrian

Daggernewbie wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Daggernewbie wrote:
How is paying more for a bottle of beer getting a discount when other beers have stayed the same price and what has tesco`s got to do with this post.
Because people that don't get a discount are paying more than you.
The discount is on the selling the price as the point you buy it, not at the point the discount scheme was created.
I didn't bring up Tesco.
Daggernewbie

Adian I know you didn`t bring up Tesco but everyone knows we won`t have the same buying power.
Adrian

Daggernewbie wrote:Adian I know you didn`t bring up Tesco but everyone knows we won`t have the same buying power.
I'd dispute that everyone knows it.
I've seen plenty of posts on here that suggests otherwise.
Dagger83

It's not just the wholesale prices that will affect these things either. Staff costs etc will go towards the cost of a pint.

I doubt the club make a killing off the bar takings and that these decisions are made lightly.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Alan

No Adrian, we don't have the buying power of Tesco. But I bet if you go to your local off license 24 beers hasn't gone up by £12.
Daggernewbie

Dagger83 wrote:It's not just the wholesale prices that will affect these things either. Staff costs etc will go towards the cost of a pint.

I doubt the club make a killing off the bar takings and that these decisions are made lightly.
The point is how can they justify a 50p rise, I do not know if you drink in the club but if you do would you be happy to pay 50p more for the beer you drink.
Dagger83

I don't know if they can justify it or not. My post was just pointing out that focussing on the cost of the basic product doesn't tell the full story.

I'm not much of a drinker so I'm no expert on these things but £3.50 ish sounded about normal for a pint these days so it didn't sound that expensive. Perhaps it was too cheap to begin with...
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.