Hypothetical Question Time

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Daggers No 2 Fan

shoreyda2nd wrote:
Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:Going last time didn't work out particularly well and did more damage than good long term.
Doing it again now could work out very badly - there are teams that have dropped quickly one they started - looks at clubs like Stockport and Hereford and the mess they're now in.
Disagree entirely. We gave it a right good go, losing out by one point, and I for one really enjoyed that season. Secondly, I'm not sure how it did damage to us long-term. Our failings the following season were not caused by the league 1 adventure, in-fact the financial rewards from league 1 are what probably allowed us to make valuable additions in the January window (Baudry, Spillane etc) to help keep us in the football league.
What good did that season in League 1 actually do long term then? It didn't boost gates, it didn't make us any long term money.
In terms of damage done, it was followed by two poor seasons. I don't see being able to bring in a couple of players to balance out the rubbish is really much of a benefit. That season also got us the likes of Tomlin and Scannel who we ended up having to pay off.
Daggers No 2 Fan

USADAGGER nick wrote:But I believe daggers number 2. That the board has learned from that experience and that we won't break the bank trying to survive in league 1, like we did last time and instead, we'll take our lumpings (don't think it'll be THAT bad) and our profits and reassess if we go down again
They didn't break the bank. That doesn't mean that the season didn't do damage.
A season challenging in League 2 and doing well will draw better crowds than a season struggling in League 1.
SUSSEX DAGGER

The money from the Playoffs would be nice. At least two televised games,dont know what the reward for those are but with additional gate money as well it will be better then a smack round the face with a wet fish.

If we don't get over 3k for the home leg we never will.

Our ability to dig out results against the best in this league means we will have a chance and the money for a day out at Wembley would also be very welcome. Cant imagine that even the extra playoff games let alone the Final have been included in the budget so that would amount to a nice bit of lovely jubbly.

Another lot of free exposure however small cant be sniffed at either. A couple of home wins and we are only 1 point off Oxford and could even be level with Southend.

Lets just give it a go you can always stoop and pick up nothing.

The Team has played their part now it's time for us to play ours. We need to make aright old racket tomorrow and Saturday and get behind Wayne and the team.
NickMurphy

As others have said, as a club I don't think we'll ever be "ready". I'll eat my hat if there's a season where we're expected to challenge for the play-offs. I'm more than happy to go with the flow and take every season as it comes, if we have the players and the points then of course I'd be delighted, regardless of whether or not we'd win the thing!

As for this season, providing we didn't draw Fleetwood or Plymouth, the latter of which is unlikely given we're fighting with them for the final spot, I reckon we'd stand a pretty good chance.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll make it this year, but that doesn't mean I can't dream with 8 games to go! We have a largely favourable run in, so you never know!
SUSSEX DAGGER

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
shoreyda2nd wrote:
Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:Going last time didn't work out particularly well and did more damage than good long term.
Doing it again now could work out very badly - there are teams that have dropped quickly one they started - looks at clubs like Stockport and Hereford and the mess they're now in.
Disagree entirely. We gave it a right good go, losing out by one point, and I for one really enjoyed that season. Secondly, I'm not sure how it did damage to us long-term. Our failings the following season were not caused by the league 1 adventure, in-fact the financial rewards from league 1 are what probably allowed us to make valuable additions in the January window (Baudry, Spillane etc) to help keep us in the football league.
What good did that season in League 1 actually do long term then? It didn't boost gates, it didn't make us any long term money.
In terms of damage done, it was followed by two poor seasons. I don't see being able to bring in a couple of players to balance out the rubbish is really much of a benefit. That season also got us the likes of Tomlin and Scannel who we ended up having to pay off.
I thought we made a surplus that year. Scannell wanted to go, by all accounts Eastleigh were going to pay him more and Tomlin was at the end of a two year deal so I don't see how we ended having to pay them off.

Gates were better because of the away following. It at least filled the TBS on occasions. Charlton, Sheffield United, Orient, Southend, Millwall could all be in league one next season. Add in the problems at Coventry who's fans are boycotting home games in favour of away and as long as we are not daft we could enjoy the season even if it did only last a year. If we went on a Cup run and drew any of these teams we would not sniff at them. If we treat it like that and stayed in budget where's the harm.
dagger4eva

Agreed Nick.

I did my best to rally the troops for tomorrow night but could only manage 1 addition supporter. Hope urall doing everything u can to give us a big crowd. And so long as Richard isnt given then drum we can maybe also give Wayne his wish for us to be a bit more vocal. NB I understand its not crucial to have a drum being played (well) in order to sing.... but it helps!
dagger4eva

Talking of budgets etc. Worth watching the 2 piece Steve Thompson interviews on the website. Found them very insightful
ARNU

I gotta new song for all those of you who don't want us to go up.

Theres only one Dagenham and Redbridge,
One Dagenham and Redbridge,
We'd like to win sometimes,
But don't want to go up cos it takes us further from our little club mentality,
And we'd rather exist at the bottom of league 2 with gates of 900+ !!

Sing that to Wayne and the boys using any tune you like,that'll fire em up.Cannot believe we got supporters who don't want any success.
What about average crowds of 2100,surely that's one reason to want to go up.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Masked Man

ARNU wrote:If we made the play-offs,then went up again,well,thats at least 2 more seasons of league football.Why on earth would anyone not want to go up ?? Rather be fighting a lg 1 relegation battle than a league 2 one.Bigger crowds,better teams and importantly more money for the club.Dont need Hines and Murphy while they cant be bothered anyway.

Personally think 8th or 9th and finishing above Shriperama's pikey Southend will be good enough for me.

Arnu have you been drinking, you're talking sense!! :lol:
OBD

To answer the original post, Fleetwood, Scunthorpe and Chesterfield are the only teams I wouldn't want over two legs. In a one off game at Wembley anything can happen but over 180 minutes I don't think we have the quality to live with those 3. Burton and Rochdale would be tough but beatable. Southend I wouldn't fear at all. Oxford aren't the same team now Wilder has gone and Gary Waddock is no Chris Wilder. York I think might just fall short.
@OfficialBigDave
leewilson

dagger4eva wrote:Agreed Nick.

I did my best to rally the troops for tomorrow night but could only manage 1 addition supporter. Hope urall doing everything u can to give us a big crowd. And so long as Richard isnt given then drum we can maybe also give Wayne his wish for us to be a bit more vocal. NB I understand its not crucial to have a drum being played (well) in order to sing.... but it helps!
With all due respect, Richard is far better on the drum than Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee