Hypothetical Question Time

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Let's imagine that on the final day, away to Cheltenham we grab a 95th minute winner to literally nick the last remaining playoff spot (I haven't been drinking & like to dream)

How do you think we would fare in said playoffs or would it depend on the opponents?

I think this current team / squad are perfectly suited to the playoff style situation. Never say die attitude (unless we're winning in injury time) plus we could possibly also have Murphy & Zavon back firing on all cylinders again by then.

So come on, entertain me with your positive thoughts - no negativity allowed....... At least until after we've got our usual shocking home result to Accy out the way! :mrgreen:
daggersjeff

Would rather stay as we are for another season. We haven't got enough about us to be shooting against the top clubs in this division. We are short of quality in a couple of positions and that needs to change.

So no, we won't make the play offs.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Best chance in my opinion would be Burton Albion out the lot involved at the moment. Had trouble finding net all season and despite having a good defence we have done them 3-1 over two games.
Dagdale

I'd go along with what Jeff says, were not quite ready just yet, there is still some work to do by Wayne and his staff and feel it could be an interesting summer, but even with 8 matches left and I've never known this League table so static as it is this season that certainly a slight possibility could be on, a lot of clubs mid table have, like us lost quite a few games and are still slightly sniffing play off's, just a decent run of 2/3 games and expectations are back in place. Think, we've done the double over league leaders Rochdale this season and shown Southend how to play a bit and the great comeback against Scunthorpe, like most frustrated a bit on some other scores but its not over till May 3rd!
Phippo

daggersjeff wrote:Would rather stay as we are for another season. We haven't got enough about us to be shooting against the top clubs in this division. We are short of quality in a couple of positions and that needs to change.

So no, we won't make the play offs.
That's too sensible an answer! As we can dream I reckon we could do well. After all it's the "weaker" teams we tend to struggle against. With that in mind perhaps we could remedy that with the game against Accy tomorrow evening!
matt_drfc

Would take play offs 100%. We won't be any more 'ready' next season than we already are. Hines and Murphy will definitely go if we don't get play-offs. So we'll back to square one.. Take it if we can get it I say!
dagger4eva

Oi jeff & dagdale cheer up :D

Anyway, my question wasnt whether we are ready to go up or not. Even though id sooner experience League 1 again regardless of the outcome. And lets face it, everyone always seems to think that by being in League 2 we are punching above our weight, so with that in mind when, if ever, are we going to be "ready" to go up??

Big last 8 games for sure, and for the moment at least l will continue dreaming!
matt_drfc

WE WILL FINISH IN THE PLAY OFFS!! Starting with 6-0 v Stanley tomorrow night! COME ON YOU FARKING DAGERS

POSITIVITY
ARNU

If we made the play-offs,then went up again,well,thats at least 2 more seasons of league football.Why on earth would anyone not want to go up ?? Rather be fighting a lg 1 relegation battle than a league 2 one.Bigger crowds,better teams and importantly more money for the club.Dont need Hines and Murphy while they cant be bothered anyway.

Personally think 8th or 9th and finishing above Shriperama's pikey Southend will be good enough for me.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Daggers No 2 Fan

Going last time didn't work out particularly well and did more damage than good long term.
Doing it again now could work out very badly - there are teams that have dropped quickly one they started - looks at clubs like Stockport and Hereford and the mess they're now in.

Hines will probably go anyway. Murphy, only if someone makes an offer which seems unlikely when he's out injured. In Murphys case it is fairly obvious he was playing injured for quite a while.
shoreyda2nd

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:Going last time didn't work out particularly well and did more damage than good long term.
Doing it again now could work out very badly - there are teams that have dropped quickly one they started - looks at clubs like Stockport and Hereford and the mess they're now in.
Disagree entirely. We gave it a right good go, losing out by one point, and I for one really enjoyed that season. Secondly, I'm not sure how it did damage to us long-term. Our failings the following season were not caused by the league 1 adventure, in-fact the financial rewards from league 1 are what probably allowed us to make valuable additions in the January window (Baudry, Spillane etc) to help keep us in the football league.
USADAGGER nick

But I believe daggers number 2. That the board has learned from that experience and that we won't break the bank trying to survive in league 1, like we did last time and instead, we'll take our lumpings (don't think it'll be THAT bad) and our profits and reassess if we go down again
Richie

Oxford lost to Southend tonight. 6th and 7th up for grabs now? Win tomorrow and on Sat we'd be 3 points behind Oxford.
dagger4eva

I will still swear until the day l die that we went into that season, the highest level the club has ever been at, with one of the worst set of striking / goalscoring options its had since turning pro.

Stick Paul Benson in that side n we stay up comfortably.
dagger4eva

Richie wrote:Oxford lost to Southend tonight. 6th and 7th up for grabs now? Win tomorrow and on Sat we'd be 3 points behind Oxford.
True. 4th & 5th places are pretty much gone from us now. 2 big wins in a row and people will HAVE to start considering us.
Anything but and the boring mid-table finish we craved for a while will probably become a reality.