Control or Total Lack Of It

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Dagger92

One of the things that stood out last Saturday for me was the total lack of ball control by our players. Now I don't believe they are suddenly all bad players but there were some pretty poor performances. There has to be a common contributory factor and in my opinion our pitch is too hard creating far too much bounce and making it difficult to control the ball. I think we should be watering the pitch well before every game. We have had wet pitches for most of the season but for the past few games the pitches have been very dry and hard, our players are taking time to adapt to the different conditions.

On another topic what has Shaun Shields got to do to get a start. I have seen numerous loan players come and go and none of them are any better than him and many a lot worse. When he has come on as sub he has put in some good cameo performances and is a very good crosser of the ball. I can only think he has upset Wayne somewhere along the line. Come on Wayne give Shaun a run in the team.
matt_drfc

Who is Shaun though
speedy

Regarding Sean Shields, at the fans forum last month Wayne did say that he didn't feel that Sean was quite ready yet to be thrown into League 2 football, but would probably be selected as and when we have nothing to play for, but as you say Dagger92 he has done nothing but impress in his few late cameo's. I am as puzzled as you are too, we get a bloke in (chambers) who can't even get into Cambridge utd team but walks into our's, strikers constantly getting right midfield roles and as for the Turgott lad from West Ham well he needs to show a heck of a lot more than he did Saturday. Another thing that seems to be forgotten is that Sean is often selected for the Irish U21's so he must have something about him. Come on Wayne see sense and give the boy a go.
Richie

What people see in Sheilds I don't know. He put in one good cross against Accrington but other than that all he seems to do is hesitate crossing meaning it gets blocked for a throw/corner.
Lcbdagger

With regards to the Shields' situation... I can sometimes understand us getting in cover on the cheap and bringing in Loans where we perhaps don't pay the wages for their duration... but surely if Chambers from a league below we must be covering most of his wages which is an additional cost to the team? I know a few people in the Sieve have positive things to say about him but i'm yet to see anything that we didn't already have in the existing team.

I know Wayne said there were other issues leading to him leaving, but after pre-season I was most dissapointed to see Dennis leave us... he could certainly have contributed to a few games in the final twenty minutes this year.
Diggerthedog

Lcbdagger wrote: I know Wayne said there were other issues leading to him leaving, but after pre-season I was most dissapointed to see Dennis leave us... he could certainly have contributed to a few games in the final twenty minutes this year.
Wayne fully explained why Dennis left, he was lazy and did not have the commitment, Well rid in my eyes. Why should he be playing instead of players who are putting in a great shift.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Richie wrote:What people see in Sheilds I don't know. He put in one good cross against Accrington but other than that all he seems to do is hesitate crossing meaning it gets blocked for a throw/corner.
He's put in a few good crosses. He also tends to take the ball forward rather than looking to go sideways. The general point with him though is that the various loan players that have been brought in and played wide on the right haven't done any more than he would have. So why hold back our contracted player in order to give time to someone who won't be around much longer.
Phippo

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
Richie wrote:What people see in Sheilds I don't know. He put in one good cross against Accrington but other than that all he seems to do is hesitate crossing meaning it gets blocked for a throw/corner.
He's put in a few good crosses. He also tends to take the ball forward rather than looking to go sideways. The general point with him though is that the various loan players that have been brought in and played wide on the right haven't done any more than he would have. So why hold back our contracted player in order to give time to someone who won't be around much longer.
I actually believe Chambers gets stuck in more then some of our regular players. Ironically Shields was given a much longer run out against Oxford, and hardly touched the ball for the first 10 minutes he was on! I also believe Dickson may play an important role if we are to figure in the end of season play off places! I'm off to get my hard hat!