Line-Up at The International Stadium (Gateshead)

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
VIEW FROM THE STAND

Cousins
Nunn
Robson
Adams
Howells
Pennell
Boucaud
Sparkes
Kandi
Bloomfield
Okenabirhie
Substitutes
Robinson
Howell
Moore
N'Gala
Cheek
"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"
Kevin

Missed a penalty at the end..?? Booger :ermm:
DevonDagger

There's probably at least 3 names I'd have in mind before Howells for taking it, surprised Fejiri didn't step up with his recent form.
NBDag

Will have to see the standard of save before I make a judgement, but Howells wouldn’t have been my first choice either. Given who was on the pitch, Luke Howell and Sparkes seem like the obvious choices. Getting very frustrating however with how bad we are at penalties.

Good to see we have kept another clean sheet though.
Fearless

Yes can't understand why Howells stood up to take it. Fejiri scored from the spot for England c last week. He must have been the obvious choice. Another two points dropped.
Daggernewbie

Heard it was Curry who told Howells to take the penalty but you still have to question tactics how many times do we get in a shooting position only for them to pass the ball.
ARNU

Did he miss or did the keeper save it ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Alan

If keeper guesses the other way and he scores, nobody questions this decision.
DevonDagger

Alan wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:49 am If keeper guesses the other way and he scores, nobody questions this decision.
A good penalty doesn't give the keeper a chance irregardless of whether he guesses the right way or not. This is obviously a very different level, but if penalties were solely down to luck, the likes of Le Tissier and Shearer wouldn't have had the successes they had.

I know Jake took the penalties during Luton's conference winning season in 2013-14, so he's not a complete stranger to them but whether he scored or not, I'm fairly certain most would have anticipated someone else taking it. As you point out though, the fact he didn't highlights the matter further.
Alan

Shearer (jointly with Rooney) holds the record for most missed penalties in premier league - he missed 11 of 67 taken, so roughly missed one in six.
DevonDagger

Alan wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:55 pm Shearer (jointly with Rooney) holds the record for most missed penalties in premier league - he missed 11 of 67 taken, so roughly missed one in six.
Apologies I was going on instinct rather than stats. What about Le Tissier, and speaking of players at left back, Leighton Baines?

I think you probably see the point I'm trying to make here though, Alan.
Alan

Dunno stats for the rest, just knew the one for shearer. Point being that everyone can miss and before yesterday he had scored 7 of 9, which isn’t bad. Okenabirhie, who has been suggested as a possible taker, has taken 2 for us, missed 1 scored 1.
Dagdale

At ten to five yesterday walking down that hill outside perimeter of stadium the only question all around ' how the hell did we not win it'? Other than after the break when first 15 minutes the Heed did look a threat it was all daggers, creating move after move forward and as normal throughout season we failed again from so many good chances to smash that ball in the net, and sadly that's what's cost us deeply this season. Penalty should have given us our deserves to grab the game but think Jake Howells has done heaps for us this troubled season but sorry he just didn't look as being so close to the dead ball he was going to do it and to be fair the referee staggering over to the benches questioning over what on earth? didn't help the preparation for our lad. Other than our demise great couple of days again in Tyneside. Really good friendly crowd up there, pity not so many daggers as last year but the 70 odd in there made a good voice and once again thanks Adrian and staff in the Schooner pub for making us so welcome and lovely pint.
RM1Dagger

Shearer got an 84% conversion rate whilst Le Tiss 90 odd. I saw Shearer miss one in the last min against Ipswich in 2002 at St Jame's and it ended up 2-2. One of the best pen takers I remember was Ray Stewart.

Well done Daryl on making the trip, petty we couldn't get the points but sounds like you had a good weekend anyway!
Now the SE27 Dagger
Adrian

It should have been retaken, the goalkeeper is some way off his line by the time Howells makes contact.

Another basic thing that officials just don't seem to be able to get right.