The Silence

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

I dont think a continuous daily update is needed but some weeks down the line since it all blew up and as the original post suggested, there has literally been a public radio silence. Now that could well mean theres nothing to report, it could mean bad news and that heads are being buried in the sand, or indeed it could mean there are positive things happening and things need to be kept quiet to some degree. But the point is, the supporters as a whole are literally being kept in the dark as to the state of play.

After being asked to 'work with us' I suggested to the club a number of different ideas just to at least TRY to get some additionaly people through the gates and extra funds into the club. I get there isnt a huge amount of tome from a few weeks back until the end of the season and therefore time frames for organising things could be tight, but without exception, every single thing was eiyher rejected or ignored.

A legends, sportsmans dinner - ignored.

Some kind of end of season fundraising match involved legends &/or current players &/or some supporters - rejected for a whole varierty of reasons.

Kids for a quid at 1 or all of the last few remaining games - rejected as kids under a certain age get in free anyway blah blah - for the other age groups you may get over, it would take 6 of those to come to recoup money youd get for 1 at the full price blah blah.

SOME / Any serious attempt at getting back any number of the extra 3500 people in attendance for the west ham game. Rejected. Told there was an offer of 20% discount mentioned on email receipts for that game and it wasnt felt any other kind of efforts wouldnt reap any reward.

The crowdfunding. Rejected. Club cant support it &/or endorse it (at this stage) - some apparent fear about a possible conflict of interest.

An incentive scheme for any existing Season Ticket Holders who refer a brand new season ticket purchasers to the club. Ignored.

A link on the website ehere matchday posters for the upcoming games is downloadable for fellow supporters to print out and distribute and put up in local shops, bars etc. Ignored.

Not suggested these but where is the Daggers Golf day? Usually happens during the April but no sign of it yet? Another great chance to a make a few hundred, couple of thousand quid.
Fundraising disco.
A super raffle for 1 of the last home games with prizes donated by local people and businesses.

I mean those are just a few things and how much they would help in the grand scheme of things is anyones guess, my point and grudge however is that almost everything, and l mean everything seems to be taken with a 'cannot do' attitude. There is always a reason and or excuse as to why something cant be done rather than a yeah, lets go for it, try it attitude.

I then see the comments on here about the social media and endless stream of opportunities that are missed considering the thousands and thousand of followers the club has, and its so, so true.

The membership discount card brought in by Hopkin is decent, but when tweeting for people to come down to the club at the weekend to watch the live footy, where are the extra incentives / offers to entice them?
4 pint jugs for a tenner on offer until the 1st goal in the 1st live game is scored.
Happy hour. Rolls and sarnies for sale. ANYTHING!?!?!?!

When was the last time the club held an official function (other than the usualy xmas eve/NYE parties) i.e. a band, a cover act, comedy night?? Fecked if l know.
A mate of mine who also works at the club & his family REGULARLY hold various functions at the club for their own charity and they always manage to pack out the bars. In recent months alone theyve held a halloween party, a frankie valli tribute, a freddie mercury tribute, a medium night, bingo nights. They manage to raise an absolute fortune for their charity. Imagine if the club was also so pro active in arranging stuff..... but like always they dont/wont and instead will find and use any excuse as to why not. Even if they for once did hold something, you just know the promotion and marketing of said event would be so non existent that it would end anyway end up poorly attended.

Not to mention a whole number of people are now regularly drinking away from the club since SteveW was banned. A real sorry state.

Apologies for the rant and I know I shouldnt let it bother me so much but I will be absolutely gutted if I dont have 'A' Dagenham & Redbridge to support after this season.
Dagdale

Sadly, can't ever see it changing strongly that is enticing 'hundreds' into becoming regular supporters, tell me other than maybe Sutton United at this 5th tier level even sides like Macclesfield & Tranmere Rovers who are doing quite well and in there, are there any gates bringing in vast amounts more? People whether newbies or not don't find low level football attractive enough and add the make up of how different local areas are now to what they was 20/30 years back its a banging your head against a wall job. I've lost count how many times over a few years I've been stuck looking for a 'first time there ground' say the likes of Solihull Moors, Eastleigh and even the most quietest place on earth North Ferriby and people I've grabbed asking directions to it most didn't even know there was a 'local team there' ? Sad really, we gave football to the world, football clubs especially ones that raise funds and try and help their communities should get far more back in return, especially as I thought there'd be so much more future in them as many people like me are sick of how the top tiers have gone to a cash level beyond the far reaches of the old school football fan. To think imagine what 2 days money of Sanchez in a week would do for us right now?
Daggernewbie

dagger4eva you hit the nail on the head the club don`t seem interested in any attempt to raise funds apart from the West Ham game nothing else has been done.

They keep saying they love Dagenham well show it let the supporters help raise funds,when other clubs have been the same crisis they all pulled together to get themselves out of it,if it fails at least we all tried but not our club it`s still us and them do they want to save the club or let it fold hope I`m wrong but it`s looking more like they want the club to fold so they can walk away from the mess they made of running it.
dj johnny b

I, clearly like many others, are becoming distressed and disturbed by the lack of any known developments. Dagger4eva's message highlights this. Are we waiting for the (rich) cavalry to come over the hill? Have we got a Plan B..any Plan? I sense that whatever is going to become public knowledge soon will be a temporary fix and not address medium or long term issues that many have described on this Forum.The can will be kicked down the road when a more radical solution needs to be addressed.
Meanwhile in my neck of the woods:
http://www.leistonfc.co.uk/news/golf-da ... 51862.html
http://www.lowestofttownfc.co.uk/news/a ... 50056.html
Voice of reason

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the windfall from the sell on clause the club would get if and when JJ is sold by Coventry
He was flying before he got injured in November. Danny Cowley said he was the best player in L2 after Lincoln played them shortly before his injury and there was significant interest from a number of Championship clubs including Leeds ahead of the January transfer window
If a deal had gone through in January Daggers would have had a significant windfall which may have averted the crisis
He had an ACL injury which would normally mean he could expect to be ready for next pre-season
Maybe this is what ST is banking on?
Diggerthedog

dagger4eva wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 pm I dont think a continuous daily update is needed but some weeks down the line since it all blew up and as the original post suggested, there has literally been a public radio silence. Now that could well mean theres nothing to report, it could mean bad news and that heads are being buried in the sand, or indeed it could mean there are positive things happening and things need to be kept quiet to some degree. But the point is, the supporters as a whole are literally being kept in the dark as to the state of play.

After being asked to 'work with us' I suggested to the club a number of different ideas just to at least TRY to get some additionaly people through the gates and extra funds into the club. I get there isnt a huge amount of tome from a few weeks back until the end of the season and therefore time frames for organising things could be tight, but without exception, every single thing was eiyher rejected or ignored.

A legends, sportsmans dinner - ignored.

Some kind of end of season fundraising match involved legends &/or current players &/or some supporters - rejected for a whole varierty of reasons.

Kids for a quid at 1 or all of the last few remaining games - rejected as kids under a certain age get in free anyway blah blah - for the other age groups you may get over, it would take 6 of those to come to recoup money youd get for 1 at the full price blah blah.

SOME / Any serious attempt at getting back any number of the extra 3500 people in attendance for the west ham game. Rejected. Told there was an offer of 20% discount mentioned on email receipts for that game and it wasnt felt any other kind of efforts wouldnt reap any reward.

The crowdfunding. Rejected. Club cant support it &/or endorse it (at this stage) - some apparent fear about a possible conflict of interest.

An incentive scheme for any existing Season Ticket Holders who refer a brand new season ticket purchasers to the club. Ignored.

A link on the website ehere matchday posters for the upcoming games is downloadable for fellow supporters to print out and distribute and put up in local shops, bars etc. Ignored.

Not suggested these but where is the Daggers Golf day? Usually happens during the April but no sign of it yet? Another great chance to a make a few hundred, couple of thousand quid.
Fundraising disco.
A super raffle for 1 of the last home games with prizes donated by local people and businesses.

I mean those are just a few things and how much they would help in the grand scheme of things is anyones guess, my point and grudge however is that almost everything, and l mean everything seems to be taken with a 'cannot do' attitude. There is always a reason and or excuse as to why something cant be done rather than a yeah, lets go for it, try it attitude.

I then see the comments on here about the social media and endless stream of opportunities that are missed considering the thousands and thousand of followers the club has, and its so, so true.

The membership discount card brought in by Hopkin is decent, but when tweeting for people to come down to the club at the weekend to watch the live footy, where are the extra incentives / offers to entice them?
4 pint jugs for a tenner on offer until the 1st goal in the 1st live game is scored.
Happy hour. Rolls and sarnies for sale. ANYTHING!?!?!?!

When was the last time the club held an official function (other than the usualy xmas eve/NYE parties) i.e. a band, a cover act, comedy night?? Fecked if l know.
A mate of mine who also works at the club & his family REGULARLY hold various functions at the club for their own charity and they always manage to pack out the bars. In recent months alone theyve held a halloween party, a frankie valli tribute, a freddie mercury tribute, a medium night, bingo nights. They manage to raise an absolute fortune for their charity. Imagine if the club was also so pro active in arranging stuff..... but like always they dont/wont and instead will find and use any excuse as to why not. Even if they for once did hold something, you just know the promotion and marketing of said event would be so non existent that it would end anyway end up poorly attended.

Not to mention a whole number of people are now regularly drinking away from the club since SteveW was banned. A real sorry state.

Apologies for the rant and I know I shouldnt let it bother me so much but I will be absolutely gutted if I dont have 'A' Dagenham & Redbridge to support after this season.
Fantastic post :thumbu:
Diggerthedog

DJ Johnny B is right we need a plan B if Plan A of awaiting investment does not happen. There are tens if not hundreds of us willing to do all we can to help but it just feels at the moment the club does not require us to do anything which is worrying.
Daggernewbie

Voice of reason wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:52 pm One thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the windfall from the sell on clause the club would get if and when JJ is sold by Coventry
He was flying before he got injured in November. Danny Cowley said he was the best player in L2 after Lincoln played them shortly before his injury and there was significant interest from a number of Championship clubs including Leeds ahead of the January transfer window
If a deal had gone through in January Daggers would have had a significant windfall which may have averted the crisis
He had an ACL injury which would normally mean he could expect to be ready for next pre-season
Maybe this is what ST is banking on?
we need money now not next season.
Daggernewbie

dj johnny b wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:35 pm I, clearly like many others, are becoming distressed and disturbed by the lack of any known developments. Dagger4eva's message highlights this. Are we waiting for the (rich) cavalry to come over the hill? Have we got a Plan B..any Plan? I sense that whatever is going to become public knowledge soon will be a temporary fix and not address medium or long term issues that many have described on this Forum.The can will be kicked down the road when a more radical solution needs to be addressed.
Just shows you other clubs are doing something to raise funds,it a sad state of affairs when our club can`t be bothered.
dagger4eva

https://www.walthamforest-fc.co.uk/2018 ... ur-future/

I came across this earlier too and thought it was a particularly nice read. It just shows what is possible at whatever level/league a club in trouble happens to be in.
NickMurphy

Daggernewbie wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:49 pm
dj johnny b wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:35 pm I, clearly like many others, are becoming distressed and disturbed by the lack of any known developments. Dagger4eva's message highlights this. Are we waiting for the (rich) cavalry to come over the hill? Have we got a Plan B..any Plan? I sense that whatever is going to become public knowledge soon will be a temporary fix and not address medium or long term issues that many have described on this Forum.The can will be kicked down the road when a more radical solution needs to be addressed.
Just shows you other clubs are doing something to raise funds,it a sad state of affairs when our club can`t be bothered.
It’s clearly not a case of the club ‘not being bothered’. Don’t make such spurious and stupid statements because people believe you and that’s how factions develop.
Diggerthedog

Dave Bennett is not too bothered, front row lording it up live on TV in Florida for Ant and Decs Saturday night takeaway.
ARNU

I thought that was dave the plumber. Maybe taping up Dec for a few quid. Geordie Daggers will be happy.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
daggerfirst

ARNU wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:46 pm I thought that was dave the plumber. Maybe taping up Dec for a few quid. Geordie Daggers will be happy.
More likely talking to Mark Wright about their mutual friend Glenn Tamplin.
Daggernewbie

NickMurphy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:12 pm
Daggernewbie wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:49 pm
It’s clearly not a case of the club ‘not being bothered’. Don’t make such spurious and stupid statements because people believe you and that’s how factions develop.
Who`s making spurious and stupid statements it`s my opinion and I`m sure that people can make their own minds up and don`t need me to guide them.

So tell me and everyone else what is our board doing then NickMurphy to save our club apart from saying they are talking to investors I want and I`m sure others supporters want to see action not words they have done nothing since the West Ham match,there have been loads of ideas suggested to them to raise funds but they have taken none on board.