Still on the BBC....

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26978684

An interesting read on John Still and Luton.

Has he ever said before directly that it was the Dwight Gayle sale that made him leave or have I just missed that up to now?
Daggers No 2 Fan

Remember it being mentioned on here but never seen anything as a direct quote. But then I don't remember ever reading much on his reasons other than on here.
Auntie Merge

He did say it on the BBC site around the time of the friendly between us and them, but I don't ever recall him saying it anytime before.

As has been stated elsewhere, shame Luton can't find the cash to pay us compensation now he has helped them achieve what no other manager could.
dagger4eva

I 100% recall an interview / article not too long after he took the job - I think it was done on the Dagenham Post where he put his side of events across.

He definitiely said in this that he felt let down and that the club had gone back on their word NOT to sell Gayle before the end of the season. A little odd considering his whole ethos was NEVER to stand in a players way.

Never mind - it's all confined to the history books now & I'll look forward to seeing him some time next season.

I'd like to think our club insited on a clause of him being allowed to go, without compensation, subject to us getting some IF he got them promoted within x amount of time. Seems a sensible clause to insert considering we made diddly squat out of that pre season friendly!
Mike the Dagger

That makes some interesting reading, I must have missed it while I was on holiday or something.

So John is saying he was undermined by the board selling Dwight Gayle out from under him, and Tommo is saying John was consulted every step of the way and they even discussed what might happen if Dwight was a success at Posh and didn't want to come back to League Two obscurity before they loaned him.

Hands up everyone that thinks the board did anything regarding player contracts, particularly buying and selling, without consulting their long standing manager who pretty much had the run of the place?

Anyone???

;)

History is always massaged by the victors.
ARNU

Still went for the money.Nobody with a brain actually believed Gayle would ever return after tasting Championship footy and the ridiculous deal to get him back in the January must have been drawn up at some secure mental patients unit.Stilly,needed an excuse to justify his leaving when he already had one,namely,he'd been a shit manager for the best part of 2 seasons and should've been sacked.Unless you want to believe Thommo is a liar(Which he clearly isn't) I think you'll find I aint far away from the truth here.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Hardy1

ARNU wrote:Still went for the money.Nobody with a brain actually believed Gayle would ever return after tasting Championship footy and the ridiculous deal to get him back in the January must have been drawn up at some secure mental patients unit.Stilly,needed an excuse to justify his leaving when he already had one,namely,he'd been a shit manager for the best part of 2 seasons and should've been sacked.Unless you want to believe Thommo is a liar(Which he clearly isn't) I think you'll find I aint far away from the truth here.
Yes he should have been sacked for the horrendous results (and football) but the bottom line is he went to a club who have far more ambition that D+R with resources to actually see it through. It was a last hurrah for he and the others who chose to go with him, fail and he's financially secure, succeed and he takes his legendary status to an all new level by promoting THREE teams from the Conference to the football league.

He has a chance to take Luton straight through to League 1 and beyond IMO and will probably be found out around Championship level.

Fair play to JS and the others for promising and delivering to LTFC what they did.

JS must have been as bored at D+R as we were with his football at that time and IMO it was a good time for all.
Chigwellian

ARNU wrote:.Unless you want to believe Thommo is a liar(Which he clearly isn't) I think you'll find I aint far away from the truth here.
Do you really know the past goings on at the club?......
ARNU

Chigwellian wrote:
ARNU wrote:.Unless you want to believe Thommo is a liar(Which he clearly isn't) I think you'll find I aint far away from the truth here.
Do you really know the past goings on at the club?......
No.Just my opinion based on the evidence before me and decided that the bloke who told us all that stuff about being a dagger and there being no other club for him and how he'd be watching from the terraces if he wasn't the manager is more likely to have made some shit up than Thommo.Stilly himself used to bang on all day and night about how we are a selling club and how he wouldn't stand in anyones way.So what hes saying now is he wanted to stand in Gayles way ?? Thommo to me seems a very sincere,truthfull and trustworthy fella but you can make your own mind up.Apart from the timing of the way he left I don't blame him at all,but he can spare us all the crap.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !