End of season presentation / party

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Ladies & gents,

I just thought you should formally be advised that there will be no end of season bash this year as the Supporters Club Committee "didnt think it was worth it"

I reckon we must be the only club in the football pyramid who isnt going to have such an event and shows completely how our club has changed over the years. Even in our Ryman days the end of season bash was a fantastic affair!

Well l have offered my assistance to the FC to try and set one up last minute.com. If this offer is taken up and anyone on here wishes to assist with the organisation im sure this can still be done!
matt_drfc

Good on you Paul, it will be a success if it goes ahead!
Auntie Merge

that is a real shame and I can tell you that I actually asked someone on Saturday if tickets were on sale. This is one event I usually attend.

I am sorry not to be able to offer assistance but this event is definitely wanted by me and, providing I am not now double booked, I will support it.
leewilson

dagger4eva wrote:Ladies & gents,

I just thought you should formally be advised that there will be no end of season bash this year as the Supporters Club Committee "didnt think it was worth it"

I reckon we must be the only club in the football pyramid who isnt going to have such an event and shows completely how our club has changed over the years. Even in our Ryman days the end of season bash was a fantastic affair!

Well l have offered my assistance to the FC to try and set one up last minute.com. If this offer is taken up and anyone on here wishes to assist with the organisation im sure this can still be done!
I think that's shocking by the supporters club personally. I know it's rich of me to say that as I haven't offered my services to help (as I have other commitments) but events like these should be prerogative to a football club.
dagger4eva

My thoughts entirely.

Well l had no response from the club, perhaps they are trying to organise a last minute thing themselves.

Id had quite a lot of the various bits n bobs organised arranged in my mind and ready to get cracking if got the go ahead.

Would be a travesty no to have a do!!!
dagger4eva

UPDATE

The club aren't planning on holding their own event as they were only told very late the S.C. wouldn't be proceeding.

I'm waiting for confirmation that the large hall is stil available on the bank holiday Sunday 4th May - the night the do was originally planned for. If it is then I'll do my damned hardest to try and get this planned. I'm always up for a challenge I just worry that there isn't enough time left to make sure enough people attend.

What you guys think.............?
ThatRoundThing

May be a problem with Sunday May 4th because most Sundays (including the 4th) the large hall is block booked for a weekly Country Music night and is regular revenue for the football club. I know the guy personally and he is given his dates on a yearly basis and also books his acts well in advance who would want their contracted payment if their gig is cancelled at this late stage.
The last presentation evening I went to was disappointing as the players accepted their awards and then the majority sloped off whearas in the past they tended to stay longer to and allow fans to take photos and general chat. Characters such as Robbo made those nights, sadly our recent teams in my opinion have been lacking a character of his type.

Sunday nights for those wanting a good drink at an end of season party is not ideal night at all with work the following morning.
dagger4eva

The hall IS still available (originally booked up for the SC do)

Also, with it being a bank holiday id imagine most people will be off work the following day.

Agree regarding the players but if they can stay til 10-10:30 that wouldnt b a bad effort tbh.
ThatRoundThing

Dagga4eva.... My mate has just confirmed that his May 4th gig has been switched so you are right that the Hall is free for that night.

Sounds to me that you are the guy with the enthusiasm and drive for the vacant Social
Secretary/ Organiser position on the Supporters Club Committee.
dagger4eva

ThatRoundThing wrote:Dagga4eva.... My mate has just confirmed that his May 4th gig has been switched so you are right that the Hall is free for that night.

Sounds to me that you are the guy with the enthusiasm and drive for the vacant Social
Secretary/ Organiser position on the Supporters Club Committee.
I'm really not and I dont, nor do I particularly have the time..... I just found it astounding that a club in the football league, who overcame everything to beat the bookies odds to stay up at a canter, a well renowned family club was not planning on having an end of season presentation and/or party. Astounding!

For the record, me & mates play for the football club pool team and at the same time over this same weekend we will be participating in a 24 hr poolathon (as in the game of pool) in the front hall. From Midday Sunday to Midday Monday, raising all the money we possibly can for the Clover Ward @ King George's hospital.

Potentially going to be a pretty manic weekend by the looks of it! :? :shock:
dagger4eva

A final update from me on this subject is that it was decided last Friday (before the Northampton debacle) this would definitely not be going ahead.

The matter was discussed at a SC commitee meeting back in March and they advised the club on the day of the Oxford game that there would be no party.

There was only 1 person at the time who was very keen to run a party but having said he couldn't do it alone and asked whether there was anyone at all on the committee prepared to help, no-one was so the decision stood.

Having tried myself to resurrect this with a couple of other people was told by the SC that as it was a final committee decision there was no longer any budget available to run it and that was the end of the matter.

A real shame as this event was one my most looked forward to of the season. With a bit of luck the SC can ditch the hangers on & get some people in who actually fancy a challenge and not going to be so defeatist in future.

Given the events on Saturday perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. Shame we will never get to actually find out.

:roll: :roll:
daggersjeff

is there anyone out there who can actually give us a cost(in general) to run an event like this?

I think its a crying shame that its not taking place this year. As an SC we have gone downhill rapidly since we became a league club!!!

The Daggers need to re invest in the community spirit, and that includes the players getting involved with the fans!!
Hardy1

Perhaps the supporters club has become more and more suppressed by the club over the last couple of years and now they just cant be bothered to do anything for the club?

I wonder if anyone in the supporters club will be taking advantage of the cheap season ticket prices or if they will still justify selling a dozen programmes as a way of continuing to get free entry.
Diggerthedog

What's to organise? We have a hall and a bar, done. There I have just organised it.

Do people really get in for free for selling programmes? That's a good few grand a year if true with the 4-5 sellers I see each game. Not sure we need so many anyway one at each end is enough.

The coaching staff appeared in the upstairs bar after the last home game of the season on Saturday but not one player. Works both ways if they want us to clap them after the game, glad I chose not to now was already in the bar.
Auntie Merge

Hardy1 wrote:Perhaps the supporters club has become more and more suppressed by the club over the last couple of years and now they just cant be bothered to do anything for the club?
Honestly, I can say I am seriously disappointed in all of this, and I speak from a position of experience.

With Leytonstone/Ilford, when the supporters club started we fought against the management committee of the club continuously - I really think some people do not know how lucky they have it today.

But even though at one time we might have only had 37 members in the supporters club, and our matchday attendances had dropped below 200, we always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, had an end of season party. Some years we struggled to get the players there (I got told off one year for giving the players 25 complimentary tickets to entice them), others we had around 50 people in attendance. But we never gave up and it was never too much trouble, or cost, even though as you can imagine at the time, the supporters club funds were almost zero.

I would also like to add that at the time no one on the supporters club committee got in for free. We all had to pay and most of us were full members or season ticket holders of the club. If you are a supporter of a club, particularly one that might be struggling on the breadline, it always sits a bit uncomfortably with me if you get in for free when you usually would have paid, because whilst you are giving your time, you are taking away from the club what it needs most - cold hard cash.