National League Give All Your Clubs A Chance

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

By the time we kick off against Braintree next Tuesdsay we would have played 9 games in a Calender Month.

Not only is this a big ask for the players it is to much for the loyal fans who folllow teams at this level.

Personally I would have spent anywhere between 500 and 700 quid in admisson, travelling costs and other associated exspenses.

These demands on the pockets of loyal fans is far far to much and as a result must have an effect on Clubs finances operating at this level.

Plenty of weeks during the season were these games could have been spaced out and it is about time Mr Thompson spoke out not only on the demands of hard pressed fans but malso in the interest of the Clubs.

It is not only cost that prevent People from coming,People are away on holiday as well during this rediculous schedule.

Surely the National League should cvonsider extending the seasom one week either end
Adrian

Games are deliberately packed in at this time of year as there's a low risk of postponement due to weather.
The gaps later in the season are there deliberately to allow spaces for rearranged games for either weather postponements or cup games.

The season ends when it does as there are still part time teams and their contracts don't cover the off season period.
The season already starts a couple of weeks earlier than it used to.

Why would Thompson want to bring it upnwith the league. The clubs all know why the season runs the way it does.

How much money and time anyone spends on going to games is 100% optional and within their own control.
It's a leisure activity - if it isn't affordable people can easily choose not to do it.
SUSSEX DAGGER

If you cant afford the schedule it dont become an option does it .

Why i ask that Mr Thompson is he sits on the Leagues Management Committee.
Auntie Merge

I imagine there are some cash flow issues in there too.

That after a summer break the clubs need to get their finances back on track, though usually there are season ticket sales.
ARNU

I sympathise and understand your point of view Sussex but I have to agree with the actual fact you don't have to attend every game everywhere. In fact it could be argued that you enable the national league and the club to carry on as they like by your continued acceptance of their shenanigans.

I'd also argue if you ain't got much cash spare you shouldn't be wasting it on the sh1test club in the league right now. I'm really enjoying picking and choosing. Joke of it is I'll be one of the last men standing when we drop out of this league as well.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
SUSSEX DAGGER

Just thinl 9 in a month is excessive. Ok would not have donr the aways if they had not be reletively local and i get the point its always a
Choice.
Mike the Dagger

Interesting discussion.

I agree with Adrian that it makes sense to get games in while the weather is good and there aren't cup matches/replays screwing things up rather than trying to play later in the season.

Despite the hectic start, we still ended up playing four games in a week towards the end of last season after all due to our opponents being unavailable earlier. The later you leave getting the scheduled games in the harder it gets to fit them in if outside events intervene.

There is a set end date to the league season which is based around the date of the play off final which is squeezed in at Wembley around the other finals in May. I'd guess if you dropped a Wembley final for something else you would have more options, but then again, we did the Britannia Stadium and it wasn't quite the same was it. A Wembley final gives the Conference play offs a certain prestige, I'd suggest that would be the last thing the league would want to give up to get an extra week or so to play the games in.
Adrian

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:56 am If you cant afford the schedule it dont become an option does it .

Why i ask that Mr Thompson is he sits on the Leagues Management Committee.
Everything is about choice.
If it's really important to get to every game then you find a way to make it affordable either by increasing your income or sacrificing some other spend.
Or you make the choice that it isn't that important and do something else that is more important.

You make mention of how much it is costing you. Have you ever given any thought as to how much you give to other clubs and how that effectively hurts the club your support by boosting the oppositions funds?

Thompson may be on the management committee but that just means he already know all of the details of why it is what it is. The comment about it being about time he did something just stinks of a little dig at him.
RampantDuke

I am sure that nobody on this forum would ever have a sly dig at Mr T! ;-)
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
RM1DAGGERS

Of course it's about choice no-one makes anyone attend a football match. The point I would make is though I can absolutely afford it there are certainly times (post holiday , Christmas for example) when I think I could probably do with not travelling to Barnet away. I go to all the games with my two teenage sons and whilst it inevitably makes it more expensive it's mostly the reason I go! And so I can't see their (still) little faces drop when I tell them we're not going. It's what we do together and still cheaper than a day out at Thorpe Park!