Players contracts.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Richie

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
Richie wrote:
Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:Not really much space for a clear out there.
Femi might as well go, he's been treated poorly this season. There's no point in keeping Dickson, he just hasn't worked out at all. Of the two out on loan, Osborn doesn't seem to have done much in the Conf South, Goldberg has scored goals so should be kept hold of if he wants to stay.
Hines can go, he hasn't really shown much commitment and it's come back to bite him a bit with the injury. There won't be much of a queue for him anyway.

Might as well keep the goalkeepers, we aren't getting to get anything much better for the sort of money we're going to be paying. Not sure about Hoyte - again are we really going to find much better?
Are you serious? He puts himself more than anyone bar Abu. How you can criticise his commitment is astounding to me.
Yes, I'm serious. You appear to have misunderstood what was meant by commitment though.
He was offered a deal and didn't want to take it and has no found himself injured an potentially in a position where no one wants him. I'd be very disappointed if we offered him anything now.
Ah, I see. Apologies. I still disagree though :) Can't blame a player for seeing what options are out there in pre-season
ARNU

If you think back to how Zavon actually signed for us this is no surprise.We offered him something ,he refused then when nobody wanted him he then signed.So now,again we offer him something,he thinks he's played well for daggers and that means championship football so knocks us back,then gets injured and nobody wants him again.I bet we offer him something while he's injured then he ****** off anyway once fit.Dont blame him but come on Dagenham,wheres ya pride ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
leewilson

ARNU wrote:If you think back to how Zavon actually signed for us this is no surprise.We offered him something ,he refused then when nobody wanted him he then signed.So now,again we offer him something,he thinks he's played well for daggers and that means championship football so knocks us back,then gets injured and nobody wants him again.I bet we offer him something while he's injured then he ****** off anyway once fit.Dont blame him but come on Dagenham,wheres ya pride ?
Or, we could stop being all sentimental, realise that football is a game where players move on to bigger clubs and instead of moaning in February 2015 that we wish we had a winger like Green, Saunders and Hines, we could potentially offer him something that suits us since the ball is in our court.
Daggers No 2 Fan

leewilson wrote:
ARNU wrote:If you think back to how Zavon actually signed for us this is no surprise.We offered him something ,he refused then when nobody wanted him he then signed.So now,again we offer him something,he thinks he's played well for daggers and that means championship football so knocks us back,then gets injured and nobody wants him again.I bet we offer him something while he's injured then he ****** off anyway once fit.Dont blame him but come on Dagenham,wheres ya pride ?
Or, we could stop being all sentimental, realise that football is a game where players move on to bigger clubs and instead of moaning in February 2015 that we wish we had a winger like Green, Saunders and Hines, we could potentially offer him something that suits us since the ball is in our court.
I don't think anyone has any problem with players wanting to get th best for themselves. However if they want to take a risk and refuse a contract, then I believe they should get a fairly short response if they come crawling back if things don't work out for them.

Not sure where there is any sentimentality.
leewilson

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
leewilson wrote:
I don't think anyone has any problem with players wanting to get th best for themselves. However if they want to take a risk and refuse a contract, then I believe they should get a fairly short response if they come crawling back if things don't work out for them.

Not sure where there is any sentimentality.
Who says he's going to come crawling back? Perhaps it just leaves us in a position where we could realistically keep him for a bit longer. He was always going to be a short term signing, we all recognised that when taking him on. If we can get some more good football out of him, then I'm all for him resigning. It's a decision that will have to benefit both us and him though. I'd say the ball is in our court though as he faces a lack of financial security at the beginning of next season as I don't see anyone else taking him on whilst he's out for a number of months.
ARNU

I like Zavon hines,go back thru my posts and arguments with Vindalot,its all there.But great bloke and lovely player that he is,no player is bigger than the club.Look at his history.Its a downward spiral from West ham isn't it.When you are his age with his ability and you're in the last chance saloon that is Dagenham and Redbridge,I think you should show a bit of greatfulness towards a club that has given you that chance.Yes he should weigh up his options but lets not forget his last few outings for us were mediocre at best and he was even dropped at one stage.The Zavon we had in the 1st half of the season I'm sure we were lucky to have got the signature of,the 2nd half..well..he was no Medy Elito was he ?

To me it reads like this.....

Club....Do you want an extension to your contract Zav ?
Zav.....No,cos Im better than this but maybe if I dont get any interest and nobody I consider better comes in,or if I get injured ,me and my agent'll ****** you about until deadline day and maybe I will stay cos I am your best player right ?

...surely we cant put up with that.

The general thrust of my argument is that we should only have players who want to play for us.
matt_drfc

ARNU wrote:I like Zavon hines,go back thru my posts and arguments with Vindalot,its all there.But great bloke and lovely player that he is,no player is bigger than the club.Look at his history.Its a downward spiral from West ham isn't it.When you are his age with his ability and you're in the last chance saloon that is Dagenham and Redbridge,I think you should show a bit of greatfulness towards a club that has given you that chance.Yes he should weigh up his options but lets not forget his last few outings for us were mediocre at best and he was even dropped at one stage.The Zavon we had in the 1st half of the season I'm sure we were lucky to have got the signature of,the 2nd half..well..he was no Medy Elito was he ?

Zav.....No,cos Im better than this but maybe if I dont get any interest and nobody I consider better comes in,or if I get injured ,me and my agent'll ****** you about until deadline day and maybe I will stay cos I am your best player right ?

The general thrust of my argument is that we should only have players who want to play for us.
I'd say his career has been more unlucky. He turned down a contract with West Ham and moved up north to get first team football and understandably struggled at a young age to be settled without his family. That shows to me that he has the correct attitude towards football. If he can better himself good luck to him, I don't blame him at all, but I'd be more than happy if he re-signed for us.
leewilson

ARNU wrote:I like Zavon hines,go back thru my posts and arguments with Vindalot,its all there.But great bloke and lovely player that he is,no player is bigger than the club.Look at his history.Its a downward spiral from West ham isn't it.When you are his age with his ability and you're in the last chance saloon that is Dagenham and Redbridge,I think you should show a bit of greatfulness towards a club that has given you that chance.Yes he should weigh up his options but lets not forget his last few outings for us were mediocre at best and he was even dropped at one stage.The Zavon we had in the 1st half of the season I'm sure we were lucky to have got the signature of,the 2nd half..well..he was no Medy Elito was he ?

Or we could live in the real world and say that signing him was best for both parties. Do you not think a fair few players join us on the provision that we let them speak to other clubs if an offer comes in. I don't blame Zav for not wanting to be tied down in January with us. He'd absolutely set the league alight in the first few months with us and there must have been other clubs starting to sit up and take notice. Zav isn't a Daggers fan. His goal is to play football as high up as he can and earn a good living from it. Why is it so wrong that in January he wanted to see if any bigger sides bid for him in the summer. I'm sure he didn't point blank turn around and say that he wasn't resigning for us.

It sounded like he was loving his football here. But we're Dagenham and Redbridge and this is a guy who's played Premier League football with West Ham and we're a million miles away from that. Anyone with any ambition would rather be doing the latter. In fact, I don't think I'd want him here if he was happy to just coast along as a league 2 player (which was my fear when he joined from Bradford. As I thought he was one of them who couldn't be bothered with a proper football career). He wants to better himself and he's using us as a springboard to do so. If that coincides with good performances for us, then excellent. It's best for both parties. Upon his return, he seems a determined, hard working lad, I don't have many doubts that as long as this injury doesn't ruin him, he'll get back to where he was and I'd rather there be an opportunity that he could be tied down to us for a little bit longer than us just release him in the summer and for him to go floating about in the forgotten players list (until someone else takes a chance on him and he shines for them. That would be a bugger wouldn't it!)
Dagdale

Great post Arnu....... I like Zavon Hines......... Sometimes I get sick of using D & R as a shop window club, players should play for the love of wearing the club shirt and part of the community how many of us would fulfill a life time ambition and wear our colours, one of the worse things ever happened in League football was Agents and players dabbling and dictating contracts, finishing football career now doesn't always mean a bad life after offers most of the time come through like media work, advertising etc. Clubs should be their outright employers, go back to the old system.
ARNU

leewilson wrote:

Or we could live in the real world and say that signing him was best for both parties. Do you not think a fair few players join us on the provision that we let them speak to other clubs if an offer comes in. I don't blame Zav for not wanting to be tied down in January with us. He'd absolutely set the league alight in the first few months with us and there must have been other clubs starting to sit up and take notice. Zav isn't a Daggers fan. His goal is to play football as high up as he can and earn a good living from it. Why is it so wrong that in January he wanted to see if any bigger sides bid for him in the summer. I'm sure he didn't point blank turn around and say that he wasn't resigning for us.

It sounded like he was loving his football here. But we're Dagenham and Redbridge and this is a guy who's played Premier League football with West Ham and we're a million miles away from that. Anyone with any ambition would rather be doing the latter. In fact, I don't think I'd want him here if he was happy to just coast along as a league 2 player (which was my fear when he joined from Bradford. As I thought he was one of them who couldn't be bothered with a proper football career). He wants to better himself and he's using us as a springboard to do so. If that coincides with good performances for us, then excellent. It's best for both parties. Upon his return, he seems a determined, hard working lad, I don't have many doubts that as long as this injury doesn't ruin him, he'll get back to where he was and I'd rather there be an opportunity that he could be tied down to us for a little bit longer than us just release him in the summer and for him to go floating about in the forgotten players list (until someone else takes a chance on him and he shines for them. That would be a bugger wouldn't it!)
You haven't said anything I disagree with there Lee.D&R FC is a shop window,we all know and pretty much accept that.But he did mess about signing with us at first and I think he's doing it again this time.Without a doubt this has been a mutually beneficial transaction.I just don't like the messing about.Nobody is gonna sign him injured,well maybe John Still,he loved a bloke with a broken leg (Edmans).The latter part of Zav's season was poor and I think memories are short.He probably needs us just as much as we need him.(The good Zav that is)
SUSSEX DAGGER

Dear oh dear. The lad has a serious injury that has called time on many a career.

Once again we have got away with it. Last Season it was Williams who I am told Career is over. He turned down a new deal and this year the same fate has befallen poor Zav. We vould have started next season with two of our highest earners both out for most if not all the seadon. Sometimes we should be carefull whst we wish for
and altho I feel so sorry for the players concearned this could have csused the Club a big financual headache.
Chigwellian

I might be wrong, but dont players / club provide insurance, therefore, once a career threatening injury is confirmed, payment is provided by the insurance company
TheLion

The following is what Wayne has to start with when he looks at next season,

Jack Connors (2016) Not sure about the end date on this contract.

Centre Backs

Scott Doe (2015)
Luke Wilkinson (2015)
Brian Saah (2015)

Wingers

Medy Elito (2015)
Sean Shields (2016)

Centre Mids

Abu Ogogo (2015)
Billy Bingham (2015)
Luke Howell (2015)
Matt Saunders (2015)

Forwards

Rhys Murphy (2015)
Bradley Goldberg (2014) Possible

All the other players are out of contract (I think)

I will be surprised if we "pay up" any of these contracts, so these players are probably having to form the core of the squad next year.

Apart from the goalkeepers, I am not sure if he would or IMO should offer any of the other out of contract players new deals.

Our big problem, is what we can afford and who is available, and when you consider how many we need, the scale of the challenge for Wayne is immense.

Of course, this assumes that Rhys wants to stay.

Interesting times ahead.
Richie

I'd definitely keep Hoyte personally
Lcbdagger

Certainly in the 'keep Hoyte' camp... have a feeling having heard a few things things over the past month that we may be seeing the end of Lewington at the end of this season. Seabright to probably stay. Would have been gutted if Femi left last season, not so worried now. In a better team he may flourish as his poor positional skills will be outweighed by his ability to get forward and he may not get found out.