Auntie Merge's Front Door

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Auntie Merge

I think I better give this it's own thread, because it is becoming quite a saga.

The front door had been painted blue for years, all through the conference winning seasons and promotion to league 1.

In 2012 I decided to paint it red. I bought the red paint in May 2013, around the time that Wayne Burnett was given a 2 year contract.
We've been on the decline ever since.

It didn't help that the person who painted it red did a terrible job, and painted over the glass, the locks and painted at least 2 coats without letting each coat dry properly. It took at least 6 months before I could fix some of the issues as the oil-based paint needed to harden before it could be sanded down again. I managed to fix some of it so it at least looked presentable.

I decided to paint it blue again some months ago. At the precise moment the paintbrush touched the door for the first time with blue paint, we went a goal up at Barnet. But the power of the red paint was still too much. I noticed in the second half that the lip under the door was still painted red (it still remains red; I am going to paint it blue when I touch up a couple of spots) and that was the point where Barnet took the lead.

Since the door has been painted blue we have P4 W2 D2 L 0. :thumbu:

But there are a couple of other odd things. Most of the door furniture needed replacing, as it was covered in red paint, and this has taken time.

The red door lock. I was being a bit meh about replacing it. Then last week when I was out running I lost the key. I didn't lose all all of the door keys which were on the same keyring, but bizarrely only lost one key and it happened to be the key for the red lock. I bought a new and much sturdier lock at the time the contract with the new owners was being signed and effected the change around about the same time the announcement about our new owners was being made.

The letterbox with red paint on it was put back temporarily as the new one is a slightly different fitting and at this very moment my neighbour is kindly fixing a shiny new letterbox in its place.

There are other things that need to be completed, each will help us claw our way back to where we were.

There are two other pieces of door furniture missing.
The door frame needs to be repainted (will happen by the end of the month)
The blue carpet tiles need to be in place
The lip of the door painted
A flakey bit of paint needs to be sanded and repainted

I will aim to get these done asap so our unbeaten run will continue and we can win 6-0 :thumbu:
Auntie Merge

Obviously the door wasnt prepared for a lunchtime kick off on Saturday.
None of the final work has been completed
yet but I did sweep the leaves away from the front door step, so am positive luck will return tonight.

COYD
Auntie Merge

oh rubbish.

i will
try to sort it all by saturday, including repainting the door if i have to.
NBDag

Can we get a door update on the Podcast please Dr Monkatron?
Dagger83

Can we repaint it and have a live feed of it drying so we can all enjoy the excitement?
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
DevonDagger

Since 2011 of all the away games I've been to, I have seen only four wins!

Merge I don't think your door is the issue, I think I just need to stick to home fixtures or just don't go at all!
Auntie Merge

Dagger83 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 pm Can we repaint it and have a live feed of it drying so we can all enjoy the excitement?
No live feed but a photo of paint drying.

I’ve painted the door frame white this morning and the red lip that was under the door is now
sort of blue (impossible to sand and paint properly without removing the door).

This has got to mean winning ways for us tomorrow. :thumbu:
Attachments
FC414BB7-E316-45E2-9E9F-B59E2F7B33B1.jpeg
Sagres

Try repainting your door yellow!
Auntie Merge

I confessed to a few people before the game that I was quite worried. The bloody oil based paint that I used for the frame still hadn’t dried properly on the lip after 16 hours so I had a nice white stripe down the edge.

About to rectify it this morning. The blue paint is coming out again.
Attachments
98379507-105E-471A-A74E-3786AC015E9D.jpeg
Auntie Merge

i’ve spent the first half tonight filling in all the bits of red i could still see around the edge of the glass. I couldn’t care less if I have to scrape paint off the window later -
you cannot see any more red.

COYD