Bar Specials

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

ThatRoundThing wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:37 pm I know the topic of poor draught beer is discussed every season. I have complained on occasions to those at the top and have been fobbed off with “our beer is fine, I drink it”
I know Sussex is a steward at his local club and serves a fine pint and has spoken before about cellar maintenance, pipe cleaning, magnets on the pipes etc.

I have been speaking to two local landlords and both their answers were that if pipes are being cleaned and maintained then the problem is probably the slow turnover of draught beer sales.
Some of our kegs are being opened and then not being used for maybe 2/3 weeks and then beer is being attempted to be sold that had gone off in the kegs.
I know of a few lower league clubs that once served only bottled or canned beers because of that problem.
Actually I am the Secretary mate but i tell you one thing I would never turn a deaf un to any continued complaint.

If I had only half the complaints that I have heard on here I would have had the brewery in a long time ago and had Members /Customers present to tell them exactly what issues they have.

Trouble is the power you have over any brewery /supplier depends,on how dependent you are to them. One thing I have always avoided is being in hoch to them They have offered me and my organisation fantastic sums of money over the years but have always resisted the temptation as if you owe money to them based on the barrallage then they have you neatly tied up and your freedom to say enough is enough we are going elsewhere is severely restricted.

Being free of tie should give you a distinct advantage in what is a very difficult market place , been involved in it over 30 years and my experiance tells me the minute you have any negative comments about the beer you listen and involve those you rely on to prosper to help identify the problem and act without hesitation. You see the old adage of the customer is always right is as true as it has ever been .
ThatRoundThing

Sorry mate I demoted you without checking to ask first. It is always mentioned by people in charge of our club accounts that we do have a debt to the brewery and I would imagine that loans from them maybe have kept the club going or over time helped with improvements, promotions.

Another thing my club landlord friends told me is the large discounts available on draught beer close to it’s sell by date. Now Wetherspoons and large turnover pubs or pub chains take advantage of these offers and for them it works well, I personally have never had a bad Wetherspoons pint, I may have been lucky but I think on my UK travels I have been to close on 150 different outlets of theirs.
Mike the Dagger

ThatRoundThing wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:16 am Sorry mate I demoted you without checking to ask first. It is always mentioned by people in charge of our club accounts that we do have a debt to the brewery and I would imagine that loans from them maybe have kept the club going or over time helped with improvements, promotions.

Another thing my club landlord friends told me is the large discounts available on draught beer close to it’s sell by date. Now Wetherspoons and large turnover pubs or pub chains take advantage of these offers and for them it works well, I personally have never had a bad Wetherspoons pint, I may have been lucky but I think on my UK travels I have been to close on 150 different outlets of theirs.
That is because they turn it around quickly, so buying it late is not an issue.

There are bad Wetherspoons though, the one on Farringdon Road in town near my previous office was constantly struggling to deliver a decent pint of ale.
Mark

Yeah that one isn't good in my experience.

I've had plenty of dodgy real ales in spoons over the years but probably one of the better chains for the overall standard. My local Greene King at work pulls some terrible ales, all cloudy and stale. Everyone stopped going there.
ThatRoundThing

I hope everyone realises that the kind gesture from the new owners for a free drink “for everyone” is in fact on production of Voucher B from your Season Ticket book. Some social media Tweets etc did not at first make it clear, although our official website does.
I’m alright Jack.
Cheers Craig and others,don’t mind if I do, I’ll have a bottle of ale.
Mike the Dagger

ThatRoundThing wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:21 am I hope everyone realises that the kind gesture from the new owners for a free drink “for everyone” is in fact on production of Voucher B from your Season Ticket book. Some social media Tweets etc did not at first make it clear, although our official website does.
I’m alright Jack.
Cheers Craig and others,don’t mind if I do, I’ll have a bottle of ale.
"or your matchday ticket from the game"... still, lets not miss the chance for a "wine" (sic)
Kevin

ThatRoundThing wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:21 am I hope everyone realises that the kind gesture from the new owners for a free drink “for everyone” is in fact on production of Voucher B from your Season Ticket book. Some social media Tweets etc did not at first make it clear, although our official website does.
Indeed the official website does make it clear - although they've cunningly hidden it in words & sentences:

To take advantage of this offer the Club has arranged for voucher B from your season ticket book or your matchday ticket from the game to be used to claim your drink, these will just need to be handed to the bar staff when ordering.

https://daggers.co.uk/news/-LP73PgNM-g5SO-kvjKF

There has been, and still are, plenty of things wrong with the running of our club.

I would tentatively suggest that offering a free drink for everyone is not one of those.
Mike the Dagger

Kevin wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am
Indeed the official website does make it clear - although they've cunningly hidden it in words & sentences:

To take advantage of this offer the Club has arranged for voucher B from your season ticket book or your matchday ticket from the game to be used to claim your drink, these will just need to be handed to the bar staff when ordering.

https://daggers.co.uk/news/-LP73PgNM-g5SO-kvjKF

There has been, and still are, plenty of things wrong with the running of our club.

I would tentatively suggest that offering a free drink for everyone is not one of those.
Another one trying to talk sense here. When will people learn? :confuse:
Alan

The beer in the club is rather shabby. I got told once that we do buy the discounted ones that are close to use by dates, which, if true, could explain a lot.
Diggerthedog

I would rather pay an extra £1 to have a better pint.
Auntie Merge

If the new owners don’t sign some decent players before next weekend i can see
this as a disaster in the making now Romain has gone.

Tanked up unhappy supporters won’t make for a pleasant day.
Diggerthedog

Auntie Merge wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:30 pm If the new owners don’t sign some decent players before next weekend i can see

Tanked up on one free beer hahah. I reckon we will see a new signing before long, letting Romain go makes no sense.
Auntie Merge

Diggerthedog wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:39 pm
Auntie Merge wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:30 pm If the new owners don’t sign some decent players before next weekend i can see

Tanked up on one free beer hahah. I reckon we will see a new signing before long, letting Romain go makes no sense.
Free beer plus cheap beer. I hope you are right. It makes no sense whatsoever.
New beer now being served - doom bar.