Its all over!

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

Richie wrote:No 2 fan, can I ask why you are the most disillusioned you've been following us? Surely this past season has been better than the final 2 under JS? Not a dig, just a question.
It wasn't me that said that but, I think I am in the same place so... League Two was a pretty poor league this year and we managed to be top of the middle really. I'm not sure that the promise of playing better football under Wayne has been significantly achieved, and home form since December really has been shocking. As I don't get the chance to go away much these days that makes it tough.

I don't partucularly like the loan system and feel we brought in a number of poor to average players at the expense of pushing some of our own on which can't be right. D'Ath for instance, look at the teams record when he played against the record when Bingham played. If Shields is going to make it he needs to be playing, not watching various loan wingers do his job, and if he isn't he needs to follow Jake Reed out the door. Luke Norris was a classic Broughton (http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... ?stid=-4#b).
Richie wrote:Personally I think a 9th placed finish when we were missing our 2 best attackers for half a season is bloody good going. I know the league was tight and 9th-16th is not much different in terms of points but even if we lost at Cheltenham I'd still think we've had a decent season all told. Of course it's not been perfect with the home form but positive signs I think.
9th is an optical illusion, one point less (the guy at Cheltenham doesn't find the corner with his backpass) we are 13th (probably about right). Two points less (Howell's ping pong, rebound v Oxford doesn't fly in) and we are 15th (also close to reality).

Lets not get too carried away with 2013/14 based on 9th place, it was a pretty poor season really and Wayne has some serious work to do, as does the physio, to get Murphy and Hines back and find a few more where they came from.

I'll be there next season though, come what may.
searmh

I don't partucularly like the loan system and feel we brought in a number of poor to average players at the expense of pushing some of our own on which can't be right. D'Ath for instance, look at the teams record when he played against the record when Bingham played. If Shields is going to make it he needs to be playing, not watching various loan wingers do his job, and if he isn't he needs to follow Jake Reed out the door
totally agree, but do we really envisage us not loaning loads or poor players next year? id rather the team struggled with our own players then pushing them out for loanees
Masked Man

searmh wrote:
totally agree, but do we really envisage us not loaning loads or poor players next year? id rather the team struggled with our own players then pushing them out for loanees
The thing is, if you struggle with full timers, what do you do? You can't send them packing, you're stuck with them!!

It's a good way to fill gaps until the RIGHT player comes along.

We can all list just as many full time underachievers as we can loanee ones.
Daggers No 2 Fan

matt_drfc wrote:
Alright for you to say comments are boring, pathetic etc.. but when it's said about you, oooh you don't like it. I haven't seen any defending of Burnett if I'm honest. I told you to lighten up just because the majority of what you say is negative. You are allowed an opinion obviously, but I'm also allowed to have an opinion on your opinion. Works both ways :)

I described some comments as being boring etc. I didn't aim that at the people making them personally, like you did.
How can you say the majority of what I say is negative when you've clearly not managed to read the majority of what I've read? Either that or are you saying I'm lying about having defended Burnett?

You're yet another of the silly little bully boys on here that has to have everything as they see it.
matt_drfc

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
matt_drfc wrote:
Alright for you to say comments are boring, pathetic etc.. but when it's said about you, oooh you don't like it. I haven't seen any defending of Burnett if I'm honest. I told you to lighten up just because the majority of what you say is negative. You are allowed an opinion obviously, but I'm also allowed to have an opinion on your opinion. Works both ways :)

I described some comments as being boring etc. I didn't aim that at the people making them personally, like you did.
How can you say the majority of what I say is negative when you've clearly not managed to read the majority of what I've read? Either that or are you saying I'm lying about having defended Burnett?

You're yet another of the silly little bully boys on here that has to have everything as they see it.
If this is how you react to being called boring, God bless the person who calls you something worse :lol: and I'd say calling someone a prick is a lot worse, but I couldn't give a flying ******

Well I read pretty much every comment on here, so when I've noticed you've wrote it, the majority is negative in my opinion. Didn't say you were lying about defending Burnett, just that I can't remember any such comments.

Not a bully at all, just not boring LOL

Ps. Don't cry x
Daggers No 2 Fan

Richie wrote:No 2 fan, can I ask why you are the most disillusioned you've been following us? Surely this past season has been better than the final 2 under JS? Not a dig, just a question.

Personally I think a 9th placed finish when we were missing our 2 best attackers for half a season is bloody good going. I know the league was tight and 9th-16th is not much different in terms of points but even if we lost at Cheltenham I'd still think we've had a decent season all told. Of course it's not been perfect with the home form but positive signs I think.
Mike has summed up my feelings pretty well.
Football is ultimately about entertainment, and I've not found this season to be entertaining. Two of the most entertaining things to happen at our ground this season were a period of ridiculous weather and a bizarre own goal. The football as a whole hasn't been all that in my view. Sure, there have been some very good moments but to me they've been the exception.

I don't think there are many positive signs for next season. We've had some pretty basic issues for the whole of a season and shown absolutely no improvement in them. I don't see why that is going to change next season. I don't ever recall us being so reliant on loan players, and those that have been brought in added very little to the squad. Based on the signings the manager has made so far, I don't have much confidence that he'll bring in much in the way of improvements. Other than Murphy and Hines I think they've been at best average.

I've not said that 9th isn't a good achievement or that the season as a whole hasn't been better than many expected. I just think it is being massively overstated as an achievement by some. In reality, the positions that aren't the top 7 or bottom 2 mean pretty much nothing.
Richie

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:

Personally I think a 9th placed finish when we were missing our 2 best attackers for half a season is bloody good going. I know the league was tight and 9th-16th is not much different in terms of points but even if we lost at Cheltenham I'd still think we've had a decent season all told. Of course it's not been perfect with the home form but positive signs I think.
Mike has summed up my feelings pretty well.
Football is ultimately about entertainment, and I've not found this season to be entertaining. Two of the most entertaining things to happen at our ground this season were a period of ridiculous weather and a bizarre own goal. The football as a whole hasn't been all that in my view. Sure, there have been some very good moments but to me they've been the exception.

I don't think there are many positive signs for next season. We've had some pretty basic issues for the whole of a season and shown absolutely no improvement in them. I don't see why that is going to change next season. I don't ever recall us being so reliant on loan players, and those that have been brought in added very little to the squad. Based on the signings the manager has made so far, I don't have much confidence that he'll bring in much in the way of improvements. Other than Murphy and Hines I think they've been at best average.

I've not said that 9th isn't a good achievement or that the season as a whole hasn't been better than many expected. I just think it is being massively overstated as an achievement by some. In reality, the positions that aren't the top 7 or bottom 2 mean pretty much nothing.
Fair points even if I am more positive. As for the past signings I'd say Hines/Murphy/Saah/Obafemi have all been good. I can't think of any other permanent signings he's made? I agree about loans, been average at best on the whole.
USADAGGER nick

No 2, the two "lucky bounces" that you say seperate us from 9th to 15th happens to every team. The last couple years we were unlucky with the mistress of football and this year her Favor fell upon us. Be happy about that fact, instead of synical.

I saw a really good quote on Facebook lately. It said "worrying doesn't stop the bad times from happening, just stops you from enjoying the good times.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Richie wrote:
Fair points even if I am more positive. As for the past signings I'd say Hines/Murphy/Saah/Obafemi have all been good. I can't think of any other permanent signings he's made? I agree about loans, been average at best on the whole.
I don't rate Saah at all - he's big but not particularly dominant in the air, gives away a lot of silly fouls, and his distribution isn't all that. I don't think it's entirely coincidence that we've been so poor at defending set pieces since he arrived.
Obafemi hasn't really played enough to judge him properly yet. He's got potential as he's young and hopefully we'll get to see a bit more of him.
Daggers No 2 Fan

USADAGGER nick wrote:No 2, the two "lucky bounces" that you say seperate us from 9th to 15th happens to every team. The last couple years we were unlucky with the mistress of football and this year her Favor fell upon us. Be happy about that fact, instead of synical.

I saw a really good quote on Facebook lately. It said "worrying doesn't stop the bad times from happening, just stops you from enjoying the good times.
I don't think I've mentioned "luck" anywhere have I? I've simply pointed out that the reaction to us finishing 9th has been a little over the top in my opinion when put into the context that a defeat in the last game was have seen us several places lower.
You try being happy after watching the dross that's been served up recently. You'll probably find it a little bit more difficult.

I don't see why so many have a problem with being pessimistic. It was fine for others to be like that previously.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Nice to see that Wayne got nominated for Manager of the year. Amazing he gets respect from fellow Managers but a number of our fans cant even accept his acheivement with any good grace.

One of his biggest critics however is having a pop at me on the old forum by praising Andy Awfull down at Portsmouth. Yes the same Andy Awfull that failed at Bognor Regis Town working under identical restraints as Wayne does here.
Chigwellian

..... Because he his tactically clueless.
He has more tantrums than a preschool toddler, which is pathetic for a grown adult
He has no respect for the officials, hence why he got sent off twice
I feel sorry for the players, as they don't know what they are supposed to be doing, and it showed this season.
NickMurphy

USADAGGER nick wrote:No 2, the two "lucky bounces" that you say seperate us from 9th to 15th happens to every team. The last couple years we were unlucky with the mistress of football and this year her Favor fell upon us. Be happy about that fact, instead of synical.
There is absolutely no way we didn't have luck on our side last season. Must have had 23 penalties and we still only managed to stay up by 5 goals. I still feel we deserved to go down that year.

But lets not dwell on it....
SUSSEX DAGGER

23 is over egging the pudding a bit Nick. It was 11 to my recollection and valuable points against Bradford away and Exeter at home were wasted with two very poor Penalties.

Now I know about ifs and being pots and pans but the fact remain that if they go in we are 17th and only 4 points shy of this years total and would even suggest that we would not have ended up in the mess we did.

Yes we did seem to get the rub last year but the season previous we had one in the League all season.

Lots of myths in Football and this years showing on closer scrutiny was not a million miles away from the year before and also the season before that.