On Munns and McQueen

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Yeah I'm unemployed. Got time to write threads.

Last night and at Bromley I've heard lots of chat about our wingers form the blokes next to me. On Saturday there was lots of chat (fella with grey hair and really strong glasses, are you on here??) about how well Munns was playing, how he was our best player, and last night there were many howls of derision about McQueen's performance (Bury Road End, Essex Cricket Hat, are you on here??). And I wanted to know what the general feeling was about these two.

Personally I think McQueen gets a bit of unnecessary stick from people - most of our attacks seem to go through him. As well as the corners for the opening goals last night and on Saturday I'm pretty sure he got the assist for the second goal too - he's consistently heavily involved in our attacks, is often the out ball for the midfielders and has a decent delivery on him. I do think that he struggles for consistency throughout games and also I think he tires a lot as well - noticeably last night - but still, much of the stick he gets is undeserved ? Is this an unpopular opinion?

Secondly, on Jack Munns, I get that he runs around a lot, and he is pretty good at holding the ball up when we counter, but I don't think he has much end product? He doesn't often get crosses in, think he had two shots last night, one of which went out for a throw. Does he need to add more to his game attack wise to go with his tireless running ?

My solution : swap them round. Get Munns running at his full back more. Get McQueen to cut inside and cross it more so he doesn't have to run as much.
Mike the Dagger

AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:09 pm Yeah I'm unemployed. Got time to write threads.

Last night and at Bromley I've heard lots of chat about our wingers form the blokes next to me. On Saturday there was lots of chat (fella with grey hair and really strong glasses, are you on here??) about how well Munns was playing, how he was our best player, and last night there were many howls of derision about McQueen's performance (Bury Road End, Essex Cricket Hat, are you on here??). And I wanted to know what the general feeling was about these two.

Personally I think McQueen gets a bit of unnecessary stick from people - most of our attacks seem to go through him. As well as the corners for the opening goals last night and on Saturday I'm pretty sure he got the assist for the second goal too - he's consistently heavily involved in our attacks, is often the out ball for the midfielders and has a decent delivery on him. I do think that he struggles for consistency throughout games and also I think he tires a lot as well - noticeably last night - but still, much of the stick he gets is undeserved ? Is this an unpopular opinion?

Secondly, on Jack Munns, I get that he runs around a lot, and he is pretty good at holding the ball up when we counter, but I don't think he has much end product? He doesn't often get crosses in, think he had two shots last night, one of which went out for a throw. Does he need to add more to his game attack wise to go with his tireless running ?

My solution : swap them round. Get Munns running at his full back more. Get McQueen to cut inside and cross it more so he doesn't have to run as much.
I agree McQueen seems to get a lot of unwarranted stick. I appreciate he came in with the label of being an option at full back, but he's not a great defender IMHO and far better going forward. He's also a goal threat and takes a reasonable set piece.

Munns is pretty obviously not a natural wide man, but is playing out there as it is the only place to put him in the current 4-4-2 with Phipps and Robinson in the middle and we are much better off with him on the field than not. I've been really impressed with him when he's come inside and linked up with the front two which was where we played him in his substittute cameos early on.

I wouldn't be looking at fiddling with the shape or personnel at the moment while it is so obviously starting to work, but in time I am sure Taylor will work it all out to get the best out of everyone.
lupins

5 wins out of 6 and my own eyes tells me both are playing well in a coached team structure
If I would be supercritical I think McQueen could get a bit more height and depth on crosses but no complaints from me
ARNU

Hated McQueen as a defender...useless in fact but where hes playing now much more effective,just needs to sharpen his decision making.
Munns...Ive been totally impressed with him since his first outing.Busy little Rottweiler and hes got some skill too.Will go far.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mark

McQueen played well first half, as good as I've seen from him. I feel like he often looks quite poor in general play, yet comes up with a lot of assists and some goals. He seems at his best when it's kept very simple, just run and cross or shoot. When he stops the ball he seems to give it away a lot and he isn't great at knowing where to be on the pitch. I find it quite hard to believe he was coached at spurs. He's effective though and long may it continue.

Munns looks classy but you are right he hasn't added much in terms of goals or assists. He's out of position and getting fitter, he does link well with the forwards and floats around the pitch which confuses defenders. I think he'll only get better.
RM1Dagger

AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:09 pm Yeah I'm unemployed. Got time to write threads.

Spot on with McQueen. If you look at last night's game so much of the play was down his side and subsequently he saw much of the ball. He's not going to be perfect every time and generally I think he's doing fairly well, and is an occasional goal threat.

Fans love players like Munns because he gives everything and never stops. I happen to think he's a pretty decent player too but concur possibly more central.
Now the SE27 Dagger
NBDag

McQueen- poor defender but a solid winger. Given us loads of goals and assists and is pretty close to the first name on the teamsheet for me.

Munns- love him. A proper handful who is one of, if not always, the first in a game to show a bit of willingness to put himself on the line for the team. Wasn’t convinced by the idea of him on the left, also think he should be in the middle of our previous seasons’ attacking 3, but hes doing the job well.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

All good points, nice to get some perspective. I wonder if we'll see Munns change position later in the season then ?

Also I agree let's not fiddle about too much while we're winning. I think he'll be motivated against his old employers on Saturday, could be a good one
NickMurphy

I like McQueen providing he's played further up the pitch - as has been the case recently. He obviously has a tendency to attack, which was a serious issue for us when he was playing at full-back. Bombing forward without tracking back or having the cover there cost us a fair bit early doors in terms of opportunities conceded, if not goals. His pace and trickery terrifies opposition defenders, and he actually has a bit of an eye for goal.

I think there's probably better out there to play on the flanks of a front three but it's hard to complain with his contribution, and if nothing else, he just offers us something a bit different from anything else we have up front. That's just made me realise that all of our primary attacking options - McQueen, Wilkinson, Balanta, Kandi and Adeloye all have different strengths to their games - no two are the same - which is also a good thing to have.

As for Munns, he's excellent. I can't understand how no-one picked him up in the summer. Little things he does like taking a touch and turning when he has the ball on the edge of our area instead of booting it up field and conceding possession. Along with all the other qualities others have mentioned. He's the midfielder to build the team around, in my opinion.
Dagdale

Good post Nick, said to the lads from day one when saw McQueen in a daggers shirt pre season at Hemel this guy's better moving up front and on the wing after remembering what he was doing to our unit up on a couple of League 2 games at Carlisle, and with Munns on the other side and at last a big strong lad like Wilkinson doing what we've been missing for so long well done to Peter and Terry a pleasure to watch this happening now and long may it continue. Also anybody notice how Kenny Clark looks like Fleet fans have been telling us all along, holding that line so well and looking solid as a rock. Great if we can maintain this and effort shown by the lads.