Home/Away Form Comparison

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
TheLion

I have not managed an away game for a few months but have suffered the home performances like everyone else since December.

Before Bingham got his injury at the turn of the year and with Hines and Murphy still delivering, the home form was IMO the best for ages.

However at the moment we do not seem to have any ideas at home, but away from home we keep picking up points.

I have my own ideas on why this is, but would welcome the views from others who have been to home and away matches this year.

60 points and finishing 9th is a great achievement.

I am already looking forward to the home game against Luton and hoping that Gateshead get promoted so that I can visit the relations in Newcastle as well as seeing us play Gateshead!
matt_drfc

I just think simply we are a better counter attacking team, when we need to take the game to teams we struggle an run out of ideas.

At home during the first half of the season, teams underestimated us which suited us as they thought they could come to Victoria Road, take us on and win. This backfired and we done well. Teams learnt this, and started coming to us and just sitting off us and we have been clueless.

Away from home I think we just took a while to learn how to play, we tightened up a bit and counter attacked effectively.

I expect Wayne to find a balance and be able to play in different ways depending on the opposition.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Away from home we always seem to get the ball ftom back to front so much quicker. Like Matt says this has a lot to do with the way teams set up.

Also i dont want to sound critical but some performances away from home have been the same fashion as those at home. Diffrence is they are called boring gutless efforts when they occur at home and hard fought
Great results when they occur away.
Dagdale

Well Lion, don't want to sound as if I'm slating my own team's stadium, because us Daggers who do show up well play our bit considering the amount of us but feel Vic Road lacks a lot of even average atmosphere, were 'to open' in many places and even if the sieve's giving it a bit of a go we only put in what 30% or so of the total gate there, we desperately need more people in and more importantly something somewhere to bind us together more. The club I'm sure have recognised this in some way in dropping S/T's next season and I really hope this is a great success and it don't 'backfire'. Who was that famous legend of the Manager in the 70's who said a passionate crowd is the twelfth man!
NickMurphy

Says as much for our performances this season away from home that I've almost doubled my away wins tally. After Cheltenham yesterday I've seen five away wins this season, adding to the six I'd seen prior to this season. Some cracking games in there too, if not for the performances than the results themselves. Personal favourite has to be Southend, with Rochdale and yesterday coming a close second and third.

Also a bit weird how Wayne seems to pull decent away performances out of the bag in the second half of the season. I remember last year when he took over we began to pick up on the road, and after a slow start to the season this time around away from home, we've been on fire since New Year. Think we've lost just twice since the Portsmouth defeat away from home which is remarkable really.
Ilford Dagger

This has happened with us a lot over the years, I think it has to do with pressure on us to perform at home whereas away the pressure is on the home side thus making it easier for us to counter attack.
Silly as it sounds even a relatively small crowd such as ours can put a team under pressure meaning they cannot relax & play how they want to.
Chigwellian

Ilford Dagger wrote:This has happened with us a lot over the years, I think it has to do with pressure on us to perform at home whereas away the pressure is on the home side thus making it easier for us to counter attack.
Silly as it sounds even a relatively small crowd such as ours can put a team under pressure meaning they cannot relax & play how they want to.
Don't blame us Ilford Dagger, have you seen how much pressure WB puts on the players by his rantings!
Ilford Dagger

Chigwellian wrote:
Ilford Dagger wrote:This has happened with us a lot over the years, I think it has to do with pressure on us to perform at home whereas away the pressure is on the home side thus making it easier for us to counter attack.
Don't blame us Ilford Dagger, have you seen how much pressure WB puts on the players by his rantings!
I'm not blaming you, the away fans always see the true ability of the players, those who only go to home games can often make misjudgements as they only see half the games & players often play differently away.