Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dj johnny b

I'm interested in how fondly many on here recall the trip to Everton a few years back, a match we could easily have lost by a cricket score had the opposition been moderately bothered.
The other day was the 10th anniversary of a far superior and more entertaining FA Cup trip to Leicester which we lost 2-3.
And that's not to mention FA Cup games at Charlton, Exeter, Plymouth, Lincoln...
Maybe it's just my age! Or maybe the cat at Goodison still brings a smile?
(as an aside Fryatt scored a hat trick that day and did so again in his next match. Retired this year through injury - only 31)
TCB1965

"The Pussy is a DAGGER!!"
Mike the Dagger

Everton is remembered because it was recent and Premier League opposition. The game itself was pretty dire though, the ground and view was also shocking. I got so wet in the rain after too getting back to Lime Street! It was just about Still's first game back in charge and we never really gave it a go in my opinion.

Leicester were in League One when we played them in the second round. enjoyed the day, the Walkers Stadium as it was then was a very good experience. Decent game and loved taking the piss out of them playing Chelsea Dagger when they scored (and had one disallowed if I rememebr straight).

Plymouth was a decent day out too, very pleasant train trip and a great game and result at the end of it. Exeter we got shafted by the TV schedulers and it was an awful journey and game. Norwich was enjoyable but so gutting to lose so late on.

Charlton is the one I'll never ever forget though. May we one day take the FA Cup seriously enough to experience something similar again.
Mark

I've never really understood why the Everton game is so fondly recalled by so many. We were utterly dreadful that season, we had a hacked together team and we didn't even muster a shot on target. Stilly protected the lads from a mauling with one eye on confidence for our doomed league campaign. The day out was good and I had a good night out in Liverpool but I could do that during the summer and not get rained on.

The Plymouth, Leicester and Norwich away days were all far superior for me, because we had a good side and gave them all a scare.

As you say tho, nothing can top Charlton. Brilliant team, brilliant match, brilliant day out.
Richie

Mark wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:35 pm I've never really understood why the Everton game is so fondly recalled by so many. We were utterly dreadful that season, we had a hacked together team and we didn't even muster a shot on target. Stilly protected the lads from a mauling with one eye on confidence for our doomed league campaign. The day out was good and I had a good night out in Liverpool but I could do that during the summer and not get rained on.

The Plymouth, Leicester and Norwich away days were all far superior for me, because we had a good side and gave them all a scare.

As you say tho, nothing can top Charlton. Brilliant team, brilliant match, brilliant day out.
But isn't that exactly the thing? it was a crap season, but that was the glimmer of fun.
Adrian

Part if it will also be that a lot that experienced the Everton game didn't experience Charlton, Norwich and the others, so don't know how different they were.

The Everton game felt a bit undeserved.
We were a poor side with some players that just didn't deserve that sort of attention when you compare them to the players that faced Charlton and Norwich.
Our performances in previous rounds didn't really merit it either.
Alan

Charlton and Norwich were much better days than Everton, for all sorts of reasons. Everton has nothing to commend it - shit daggers team, shit views, shit weather.

I have fond memories of running through the staff at Norwich station to smuggle 4 beers on to a dry train, or of the chance that Haworth had to win the game at Charlton.
DevonDagger

Adrian wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:18 pm Part if it will also be that a lot that experienced the Everton game didn't experience Charlton, Norwich and the others, so don't know how different they were.

The Everton game felt a bit undeserved.
We were a poor side with some players that just didn't deserve that sort of attention when you compare them to the players that faced Charlton and Norwich.
Our performances in previous rounds didn't really merit it either.
I fall into this bracket, mainly as I was too young to go to the others alone and there aren't any other serious Daggers in my family.

I brought up the Everton game on another thread just yesterday and as I mentioned there I really did enjoy the day out, I often think if you have a good atmosphere and banter in a game with nothing to lose, then you're unlikely to have a bad day all round. The performance was pretty awful but we had loan players making debuts and John had only just re-arrived, hardly ideal circumstances to face a Premier League team so yes perhaps it could have come at a better time.

I'm always eyes peeled at cup draws so I hope we can get another good one sooner rather than later.
ARNU

It wasn't stills gig, it was burnetts. Although I think we'd sacked him a few days before. I can't remember much about the game but it was a good day out. Jody jones playing at goodison was good for the lad in an otherwise awful season. Some of our idiots singing about Madeline McCann and Hillsboro ******** retards!!
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
RM1Dagger

Yes the Everton game was shite, the view was poor and it pissed down! But we created a good atmosphere and it was all about the occasion. Fond memories travelling there with my three young sons, having a laugh, stopping for a meal on the way back ,just stuff like that for me makes it in an otherwise terrible, terrible season!
Now the SE27 Dagger
Dagger83

I'd forgotten about the Leicester game. Freezing bloody cold but a great game to watch. Everton was special just because of the large numbers who went and the atmosphere. The match itself was terrible and we never looked like getting in their box let alone scoring. And the rain walking back to the car...
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Dagdale

Everton game in the middle of what turned out a most awful season was probably running along with a mini trip to watch daggers in Holland Summer 2015 was the highlight for me following them. 1800 supporters don't even get that at home, weekend in the vibrant city and all the way to the ground friendly banter, Martinez top man played a fairly strong side, Cat encore, great flags up, a fair view Evertonian's even staying foot in ground at end to acknowledge our passage, and soaked walking back to station something you often think back on with glee, just hope one day we can make it to another 'big gun'?
daggersjeff

Everton was a great day out, we were never going to get anything out of the game, so enjoyed the day. For me Charlton was the best ever!