Who`s eating their words now ?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
CharlieC

At the time, I don’t think it was outrageous to suggest that Taylor was failing at his job and we looked doomed. Despite the budget, his recruitment still failed in many areas at the start of the season (Davey, Wright, Reynolds, Mullings, Donovan etc.)

However, ever since that Harrogate game and the signings of Manny, Wilkinson and Balanta, we’ve looked a different team. The past few months, his recruitment has been spot on. Me, like many others I know, are happy to be “eating our words” from earlier this season.

What has impressed me most about Taylor recently is despite changing our system whilst we were on a good run, results and performances have arguably improved. Even when we were winning in November and December, we were still giving away too many chances to the opposition. The re-introduction of a back 3/5 has stopped this problem to an extent.

I still think our main limitation as a team is not having enough control in the midfield, but hopefully we’ll see an improvement in that with the signing of Doug Loft today and Robinson being back fit.
DaggerJoel11

The side that Peter Taylor initially built would've comfortably gone down. We were vulnerable and, much like Maidstone against us on Saturday, would dominate several games but just lacked the quality to score. Things weren't good enough and there weren't many people optimistic enough to predict that we'd stay up because, to reiterate my earlier comment, we were weak all over the pitch.

Nobody had an agenda against Taylor and like everybody I know, I can't praise him enough for the work he's put in over the last few months. He wasn't a good manager on a shoestring budget but with good financial backing, he can be as he's proving now. If we go on to lose all of our games for the rest of the season and go down to the NLS no doubt the same people celebrating him now will call for his head because that's football. The fact that we're going really well now doesn't change some of the baffling decisions we saw in August, like playing Alex McQueen at right-back for example when it was painfully obvious that he was a winger.

It was terrible in August, it's the exact opposite now. Nobody should be eating their words because at the time their words were were correct and no doubt if we hadn't received the investment, the game at Maidstone on Saturday would've been a relegation six-pointer.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''