Gutless performance

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Granddad

I remember the days before substitutes when if we were losing we would throw a defender forward in the hope of getting a result. Given the quality of our substitutes today I would have pushed Ben Goodlife forward to see what effect he would have. He certainly couldn't have done a worse job. Taking Munns off once again mystified me and IMO Lott is tidy enough but nowhere near as good as Harry Phipps. Hopefully Balanta will be back next week and that should make a big difference.
Diggerthedog

The Hoyte scenario is just laughable, when you’re all talking about budgets ask yourself why he was even signed we we already had a capable left back.
lupins

It wasn't gutless it was just poor and even then we should have got something from the game
I thought Loft was pretty ordinary but the stick he got was very harsh for someone who didn't hide despite not doing great. What happened to get behind players
As for the substitutions Munns could have no complaints he will have better days
NBDag

Adrian, not that your post was likely to be directed solely at me, I don’t think Loft is a bad player, but today he was awful. So many missed passes. He deserves a kick up the arse after today as giving his history, he should be more than capable in this league.
Mark

I don't think Hoyte is going to solve our problems but I'd certainly have him in when Nunn is out of form. I'd probably have played a back 4 today against the shape Gateshead play.

I am really struggling to see where the next win comes from unless Balanta and Conor can suddenly drag a result out of us. I still don't think Taylor knows what his best side is and I wish we'd get some insight into why he keeps making the changes he has.

Have to agree Tomi isn't the answer either, he missed just as many sitters if not more than Mullings and wasn't good in the air, but with the players available surely he's worth a place on the bench.
leewilson

I thought Loft had an off game today and unfortunately some of our mouthier supporters took exception to this and made him the 'agenda' for the day. He himself is not the problem. The problem is when you go away to Wrexham and play Loft and two other players with a very similar skill set in midfield. The problem is when you play Loft with Robinson and then choose to not replace either when you're chasing the game at 2-0 down, instead taking off a more creative, mobile player in Munns.

I just can't work out Peter Taylor. Back 4s and 5s aren't the problem. It's the players he is playing within these formations.

If you play a 5, you don't need two holding midfielders. Ironically, we looked at our best in a 5 when Taylor's hand was forced and Phipps was our only fit CM. We then had to play Munns a little deeper behind Balanta, McQueen and Wilkinson which worked a treat as we had much more variety and threat going forward. Of course, now that Robinson is fit and we've signed Loft, the chance of Taylor ever doing this again are remote.

If you play a 4, fair enough, you can get more away with the two sitting in the centre providing that your front 4 are good and hard working and the full backs are capable of getting forward. There is potential for this in Munns, Balanta, McQueen and Wilkinson interchanging etc.

Unfortunately, Peter Taylor appears to pick a formation and then choose the most baffling personnel to go with it. He may do a lot of good on the training ground, but it appears that this masks his interpretation of what works best on the matchday - as most supporters with an eye for the game who only see us play once a week, can spot the problems immediately.
ARNU

What were Gillinghams fans issues with Taylor ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mark

They were upset that he had a different number of fingers to them.
Pondfield Dagger

anyone mention the penalty? mcqueen taking the ball of star stiker putting it on spot look like he was going to take it..confusion or what lol, put extra pressure on wilkinson and misses it!!!!
stanton101

ARNU wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:56 pm What were Gillinghams fans issues with Taylor ?
Great coach, but a wanker of a manager.
bloke down the pub

Gutless? I don't think it was that good.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Outside Balanta and Wilkinson no quality in.front of goal last three games have proved this.

The Club have only two Players in ny opinion who are good enough lose one is bad enough to lose both or the other to have an.off day has what has occured in.the psst two games then we are simply not good,enough.

Another one if not two quality options desperately needed.
jag

Very disappointed on Saturday and there have been many disgruntled supporters giving their opinions some of them I have to agree with however I did notice on more than one occasion Peter Taylor was losing his patience with some of his players, it seemed to me that they had been practicing certain things on the training ground, but some of them where forgetting their responsibilities Peter had a rant then returned to the dug out flopped back down in his seat and then slumped with his arms folded, this may indicate that not all of the players are sure of their roll which seems to backup previous comments about the systems or change of systems that he is adopting, on the match itself I thought we defiantly played better than Gateshead in the 1st half and on chances we should have been 3 or 4 goals ahead at half time I have seen worse challenges made and not given for their penalty in past games. Every player in the second half wanted to get back in the game and we started to rush things and they just picked us off, but this is when they must keep a cool head and get back to basics such as being aware of where their own players are and also finding space when you do not have the ball, to many times I saw our players just waiting for the pass, very disappointed with Lofts passing and Reynolds attacking and shooting performances, but being a Dagger I will be travelling back from deepest Sussex next Saturday, as the eternal optimist hope to see a much improved performance.
LondonDagger

Adrian wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 pm
ARNU wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 pm Hoyte must have gobbled off and Taylor has retaliated by dropping him altogether. Fair enough but he has persisted with players who are nowhere near as good or as experienced Hoyte. I’m sure the last game Hoyte played in we won.
You'd be wrong then. The last game he started was the loss to the Orient. He's started in only two wins all season. Both we away games.
Our record without him is better than with him.

The only player that has been used ahead of him in the same position for any real time is Nunn. Hoyte isn't any better than him, and at this level they have similar experience.
Do you go to games? He is our best Right Back. Nunn is poor but Hoyte makes a solid back 4. I cant see your point at all...
Adrian

LondonDagger wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 pm
Adrian wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 pm
ARNU wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 pm Hoyte must have gobbled off and Taylor has retaliated by dropping him altogether. Fair enough but he has persisted with players who are nowhere near as good or as experienced Hoyte. I’m sure the last game Hoyte played in we won.
You'd be wrong then. The last game he started was the loss to the Orient. He's started in only two wins all season. Both we away games.
Our record without him is better than with him.

The only player that has been used ahead of him in the same position for any real time is Nunn. Hoyte isn't any better than him, and at this level they have similar experience.
Do you go to games? He is our best Right Back. Nunn is poor but Hoyte makes a solid back 4. I cant see your point at all...
Yes I do. Do you? He is a very average right back. As a right back he is no better than Nunn.
Nunn has been played as a wing back recently which is when he's been poor.
He's ok defensively but nothing like as good as is made out, and does very little going forward.

How solid have we been when's he's played? Not very.