Daggers Retained List

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
EssexDagger!

Very versatile player, but sadly jack of all trades but a master of none of them. He did a steady job at right back last few games towards end of season but he is no Sam Ling and that’s the type of player (ability wise I mean) we should be looking at if we want to make a serious mount for promotion. We have to compare and say would Orient/Salford be in the market for this calibre of player as that’s the sort of level we have to be at next year, especially with likes of Notts County & Yeovil coming down to join the mix.
Mark

Completely agree. The thought of a playoff club like Wrexham or Solihull looking to sign Will Wright is laughable. What are we trying to do here.
BB-Dagger

Wright reminds me a bit of Doe when he first came to us from Weymouth, looked out of place but settled into a reliable central defender, if we sign Wright I’m hoping he can grow as a player, the talk of Loft coming back sends a shiver down my spine, surely not good enough based on his performances here on loan.
NBDag

What these two said. Fact is with Wright is that we all expected him to be so bad when he was made right back, that his forgettable below-averageness in the position took people by such surprise that they mistook it for actual quality. He’s still young and could no doubt forge a nice career in the football league. But it’s not anything that we should be getting into right now.
lupins

What exactly is this lack of appreciation of Wright. He is a young player capable of playing in several positions and improved each game he played. If you really can't see that I am surprised. Orient away he came in to midfield and played well and has kicked on from there. Exactly the type of player we should be signing to add to a squad
As for Loft I do see why he has his doubters but the last few games I thought he started to show what he might do. He might be fortunate to get an offer but I have a feeling if he did he might change some minds. But the jury is out for me there
Last edited by lupins on Thu May 09, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeldagger

I'm pleased with the retained list, although I did think Munns did enough to warrant a contract offer, I appreciate that he did fall down in Taylor's estimation sometime after new year.

With who we have now, which is a good base for a squad, I'm looking forward to see who Taylor, with the backing of Trinity Sports Holdings, can sign. We saw what effect Wilko and Balanta had on the squad, so now with time on our side I'm of the opinion that Taylor will at the very least aim to build a squad that will challenge for the playoffs.

Having said that, is Wight in that mould of player? Perhaps not right now, yet as others have alueded to already, he's a young player who could turn out to be a good player for us, or at the very least will offer some competition and give us resilience across the squad to cover for injuries and suspensions.
Alan

League Games With Will Wright:

P28 W4 D8 L16 points per game: 0.71

Without Will Wright:

P16 W10 D3 L3 points per game: 2.06

Sub appearances excluded.
DevonDagger

NBDag wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:52 pm As for the retained, we can’t do too much if Kandi is in contract, and maybe with his last 2/3 appearances we’re right to keep him. But our 3 wide men are currently McQueen, Kandi, and Harfield. We couldn’t get promoted with Ferrier, Whitely, and Fejiri. So those three definitely aren’t good enough.
It seems that it's become clear today that rather than Kandi being under contract, he signed a new one last week just prior to the retained list being released.
Mark

I understand having an element of continuity. But if we're taking the promotion ambition seriously I think we're already making some odd moves. We probably need a good core squad of maximum 20 but we now already have 12 assuming everyone signs, and that 12 includes at least 4 who probably aren't good enough to start in a promotion challenging team. Kandi is very busy and does some very good things but his end product is so poor at least 3/4 of the time.
Diggerthedog

I think we're a long way off a league winning side, play offs is a more realistic approach.
BarkingRambo

It's good we have a backstop, we have kept on enough players and of an ok quality that should Taylors summer recruitment fail we have the ability to possibly aim for mid table. In the conference you often see mutual contract terminations or free transfers should we find someone better than what we have. Look at us moving Romain on or Hemmings, Salford got him last June but found a better replacement and gave him to Fylde before the season had even begun.

if we could persuade Chelmsford to take Reynolds with what 1 goal in 20 then we have no worries about finding clubs for any of the players we have kept on.
HGDagger

20/1 odds to win the title next season, lower than what I thought it would be to be fair https://m.skybet.com/football/english-n ... t/24021678
EssexDagger!

Whoever wrote up those odds have put Ebbsfleet at 25-1, goodness me!! I’d say 20-1 for us is quite generous considering that.

Still not generous enough to entice me in though for a little dabble :coin:
daggersjeff

Pretty poor odds all round......no one there takes my fancy at that money!!
stanton101

Onariase has been released by Rotherham.
Worth an offer I think.