Bad News

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
BB-Dagger

After taking a while and digesting this bad news I’m starting to get a bit worried about the new season, looking at what other teams have been up to in the transfer market I’m wondering what or who have we got coming in! I’m hoping that we are going to have a flurry of activity when existing contracts finish at the end of June and we will all be lauding how great Peter Taylor has been in his recruitment quest. Watch this space.......
Diggerthedog

Alan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:58 pm Thommo’s explanation makes perfect sense. I hope we have the replacement lined up though.
Yep sad to lose him but little can be done in these circumstances.
Mark

It's classic Dagenham in that his signing was presented as a huge coup when in fact it was never going to be anything more than half a season.

The club need to set the expectations of their customers. The public expectation was that he was our player. In reality he could just sail off to any club for a relatively small fee. This move has come as a huge shock to the fans who weren't aware of the clause.

The club have also set an expectation by publicly stating their ambition to challenge for promotion. In reality we have signed one player who is good enough to fit that bill and sold our only goalscorer.

It's classic Dagenham in that we are 'working towards' signings rather than have some immediate good news to appease the fans. Orient have played it very well. We have not. We're apparently trying to sell season tickets at the moment but nothing we are doing at the moment is going to help us do that.
Daggerman

It all makes perfect sense! The new white shirt represents a white flag
TommyD&R

Alan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:58 pm Thommo’s explanation makes perfect sense. I hope we have the replacement lined up though.
Agree. Seems the option we took up was the only way of keeping him here for the rest of last season. He kept us up and hopefully we at least made a bit of a profit on him. We won’t find a better striker at this level though.
Mark

TommyD&R wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm
Agree. Seems the option we took up was the only way of keeping him here for the rest of last season. He kept us up and hopefully we at least made a bit of a profit on him. We won’t find a better striker at this level though.
It does make perfect sense. The problem is it's after the fact. The expectations of the supporters have not been fulfilled. Like it or not, it's a quick way to annoy your paying customers.
DaggerJoel11

Massive blow to us and some big signings are now needed, although it will be difficult to find a replacement as good. The rumoured figures are ridiculous but it seems as if we're always the ones who seem to suffer financially in these circumstances. Although the interview from Thompson gives the impression that everybody in the club was pretty much resigned to losing Wilkinson, he was marketed as a big part of our ambitions next season and the fact that he could've shone for us next season, carrying a lot of our hopes on his shoulders, really does hurt. Very frustrating for Orient to be the beneficiary as well.

Wilkinson was a massive factor behind us staying up and we wouldn't have gone on that brilliant unbeaten run without him. Now he's gone, we'll be a long distance away from even making the play-offs so given that the owners have expressed their hopes for us to battle for promotion, a huge few weeks are ahead. In January between the option of losing him in the manner we have today or not having him at all I'm pretty sure everybody would've wanted to keep him albeit for a shorter capacity than we hoped. Now we move on and how we respond to this setback will be crucial.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
SUSSEX DAGGER

Interesting Orient have moved without a Manager being sorted.following the.tragic death of JE.

Bad news but not the end of world , in a years time we could be looking at him.joining his 12th Club.
40k added to wages we were,paying him.I reckons gets you a hell of a striker at this level ,just need to find him .
HGDagger

I think the frustration from the fans is that not only have we lost our club colours today, but the fact that Wilkinson was shown as the star man who would lead us to success next season to bring in the season ticket sales, when in fact the owners and the club knew all along that he probably wouldn't even be here next season. Disappointing day all round, need something to turn up quick or we could be in for a very poor season next year in arguably the most competitive National League there's ever been.
Diggerthedog

Message from Owner:

When we signed Conor on a permanent contract in January it was with one eye on this season but also to help keep the club up, and by all measures he was as big a factor in that as anyone in the squad.

That said, in order to extend his contract, we were forced to put in a buy-out clause which we never were happy about, but was a condition of him signing.

The news that Conor is moving on is bittersweet, as we are thrilled he will have a chance to star in the Football league (from which he came when with Gillingham), but gutted he won’t be part of our plans for the club.

I can assure you we are doing everything we can to sign multiple players this off-season and are 100% committed to putting a team on the pitch that will help lead us to our goal of promotion.

All we can ask for from you, our fans and supporters, is to be patient - but we absolutely share your frustration with this news.
leewilson

Let's not pretend we all behind the Wilkinson signing in the first place. He signed at a time where Adeloye was hitting a patch of form and there were initially grumbles that he was a 'Taylor man' and would be thrust straight into the team regardless.

Without him, we would have been very close to going down last season.

Not much has changed other than we need to buy a goalscorer. We've had plenty over the years. Now the manager has to find another one. Still plenty of time yet.
Dagger Steve

I'm much more annoyed about the white shirt to be honest.
NBDag

So off of the back of this, is there any 20+ a season striker that is available right now?
Dagdale

Well that's a fair shock! If it had to happen real shame not after closure of last season as just maybe we could of grasped Paul McCallum from Eastleigh before Solihull Moors got their hands on him, that's the sort of guy we should be honing in on to move this club forward now. White kit? very bland Uchk! yellow slightly better, why daggers on torso home kit only, bit strange?
Chigwellian

Very similar to the sale of Benno. Sold him for peanuts, of which we had to wait an eternity to receive, with no replacement. - common denominator is Thommo.

We will never be an ambitious club while that muppet is in the club